Death Touch - Dim Mak - Real or Fiction?

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is this death touch just another Hollywood BS thing? (I searched for info on this and didn't find much...sorry if I missed it and reposting an old question)
I can see if you thrust your straight fingers or knuckles into someone's throat, that that may really mess them up and if done strongly enough, it could destroy their windpipe and kill them. But is that all of what it is? No Chi interrupted thing going on, spreading the chi throughout the body? Again, that would certainly take your breath away or knock it out;
Thanks for any opinions, facts, theories, etc

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course it's bs.....a strik to the throat is a strike not a death touch

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A strike to the chest at just thecrigjt instant and angle can cause death. A couple kids a year die from this in baseball and football. It sends the heart onto arrhythmia or fibrillation. So, could a slick "martial arts master" seize on a chance hit like that and claim magic death powers ? Just maybe, huh?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @jks9199 said, it's possible to induce ventricular tachycardia with an impact at exactly the right (or wrong...) time/location/angle/force. It's also exceedingly rare. Yes, a couple people die from it every year. Out of how many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of impacts? And it absolutely is NOT something you could do intentionally with any degree of consistency, even if you had your victim hooked up to a cardiac monitor.
If you seriously think things like Dim Mak are possible, I suggest you give some consideration to how firm your grasp on reality is.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
FICTION.
I believe these tales are remnants of a time before modern medicine.

600 years ago someone maybe died days or hours after a fight. Must have been their opponent's DEATH TOUCH that disrupted their energy.

Who knows how it started...
but I don't think there's any data to back up any sort of energy strikes or the like

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
FICTION.

600 years ago someone maybe died days or hours after a fight. Must have been their opponent's DEATH TOUCH that disrupted their energy.

but I don't think there's any data to back up any sort of energy strikes or the like

I punched someone in sparring.

I hereby claim that one day, he will die.

And so will I, following him punching me.

Delayed death strike innit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FICTION.

Theres even a possible relation. You damaged an internal organ, you domt know that happened, they dont know that happened, doctors dont know it happened. Out of nowhere (seemingly) they die overnight, you dont understand internal injuries and assume you disrupted his ki. At the beginning it may have been simple ignorance, not a con.

Reactions: KPM
D

Deleted member 39746

If i got the definiton of di mak rght, it just means using pressure points for attack. Obviously, its hard to hit a specic point when on adrenline and it might not do anything until the person comes off adreline.

I think the system is just a primitive nerve/body mapping system. Some assessments might be right others might be wrong, but what you see associated to it just seems wrong, like being able to make somones heart explode etc.

I also belive chi is a metaphore for inner spirit or something? I understood it to be your lifeforce or underlyig spirit or something, it is a philsophical/relgious concept rather than a scentific one. (uness it refers to a process)

also if you shove your knuckles into somones windpipe you will most likely crush the windpipe, its not anyting more technical than crushing the windpipe with a blunt object (your fist)

Corret me if i am wrong on anything, this is just what i got when i breifly looked into the subject. I think there is some scentific merit in it, but its nothing special its just primitive anatomy. (im not a beliver of chi being a physical object, before people ask/assume i belive in that) It also tied into a/their belief system.

I reiterate, i dont believe it to be anything special or that you could make somones heart explode by just using chi or disrupting their chi nor ater finge spearing them in one spot etc etc etc.

edit: I dont know how much of this is modern tampering of a old system or fake history etc. So this concept could have been modernised at some point to fit with nerve maps

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rat said it well. I guess where there's smoke, there's often a bit of smoke. Many things about 'death touch' may be glorified and glamorized and embellished. But there can be some truth there too. I tried going to an acupuncture guy...100% Chinese; for my lower Degen. discs issues. Paid the man $300 for something like 8 treatments. He stuck pins in me every week. Lit a match or candle in some glass jar and let those suck on my back for 20 minutes. By the last session, he asked if I had any relief. I said, "honestly, no". (but it sure was big relief to get those dang jars off my back) He took the pins out and walked out, supposing correctly that I wouldn't be back. Dang if he didn't leave 2 pins still in me. I got my Brown Belt that day, taking those last two pins out. No big deal. The pins were supposed to help get the Chi back and flowing well. Might work for some, but it didn't for me. I'm back to the secret Red Boat Opera Ben Gay technique along with bridging, some yoga dog down pose and other exercises.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course it's true. I saw it in a documentary called Bloodsport.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Theres even a possible relation. You damaged an internal organ, you domt know that happened, they dont know that happened, doctors dont know it happened. Out of nowhere (seemingly) they die overnight, you dont understand internal injuries and assume you disrupted his ki. At the beginning it may have been simple ignorance, not a con.
that's what I was getting at with the lack of modern medicine thing

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what I have read it seems Traditional Chinese medicine did not recognise the different functions of separate organs but instead considered them to be reservoirs of Qi or life essence which would ebb and flow within them. It was not until the mid-1800s that the western approach to medicine began to become established in China with it's scientific method of testing hypothesis. It would support the views above that when people died from internal organs being damaged it was put down to disrupting the Qi.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was not until the mid-1800s that the western approach to medicine began to become established in China with it's scientific method of testing hypothesis.
Chinese medicine is testing hypothesis for millennia. Some Chinese emperor(s) have died trying heavy metals. More recently, I have tried needles on a few people, including myself, and I have seen it clearly helping more often than not. Of course it does not solve everything to everyone; it is an option sometimes. In China, both approaches are used in hospitals.

It may not be scientific as we understand it; but is being tested for long time. Even tested in a scientific approach, recently. The issue is applying double-blind experiments on acupuncture...

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I have read it seems Traditional Chinese medicine did not recognise the different functions of separate organs but instead considered them to be reservoirs of Qi or life essence which would ebb and flow within them.
In Chinese medicine, due to its history, an organ is more about physiological functions, than an anatomical part. They don’t split organs and functions as I learned at school.

‘Kidney’ in Chinese medicine includes supearenals and has more functions than the obvious ones. (Brain, as an organ, in TCM was ignored for centuries! Yeh, it’s not simple to an occidental brain...)

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chinese medicine has been around for a pretty long time. If Dim Mak were real, you'd think someone else would've figured it out by now.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Obviously, its hard to hit a specic point when on adrenline and it might not do anything until the person comes off adreline.

I would not entirely agree there as some techs do not require striking the point but merely applying pressure there and if you don't get it right the tech don't really work ...the one I can point to is Yonkkyo if you don't get the pressure point it does not have the same effect but again that just an Aikido standpoint and only my opinion

D

Deleted member 39746

I would not entirely agree there as some techs do not require striking the point but merely applying pressure there and if you don't get it right the tech don't really work ...the one I can point to is Yonkkyo if you don't get the pressure point it does not have the same effect but again that just an Aikido standpoint and only my opinion

Its a hit and miss thing at the very least. :p

Latest Discussions