Any older beginners out there?

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My main instructor is in his 40's and is a 5th dan black belt, which is considered a "master" in our federation. He's also a black belt of some rank in TKD and in BJJ. He is a great example of "hitting it too hard" for me: damage to his knees and hips in the past prevent him from doing much above waist level nowadays. Over-extension beat him up pretty bad.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My main instructor is in his 40's and is a 5th dan black belt, which is considered a "master" in our federation. He's also a black belt of some rank in TKD and in BJJ. He is a great example of "hitting it too hard" for me: damage to his knees and hips in the past prevent him from doing much above waist level nowadays. Over-extension beat him up pretty bad.
One really need to paste oneself. I am guilty of that. My back was doing very well........until Monday when I went wild. Now I have to go easy again. It's hard to hold back and paste.

TKD high kicks really hurt the back, people don't realize when they are young, they are going to pay the price later. If I were to do it again, I would go with Muy Thai or Karate instead. Their kicks don't pivot as bad as TKD and don't glorify the ultra high kicks. TKD doesn't necessary require you to kick high, BUT you can see they glorify it, it's peer pressure that one want to kick high and there goes the back.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Semi-related, someone on reddit posted a thread about his regrets in wasting so much of his martial arts career the other day.

He started as a kid, took a gap, and now wasn't sure if it's worth starting again, now that he's old.

He stopped at 12, due to covid, and is now 14. A 14 year old who took a two year gap in his preteens thinks his martial arts career is done for.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Semi-related, someone on reddit posted a thread about his regrets in wasting so much of his martial arts career the other day.

He started as a kid, took a gap, and now wasn't sure if it's worth starting again, now that he's old.

He stopped at 12, due to covid, and is now 14. A 14 year old who took a two year gap in his preteens thinks his martial arts career is done for.
Well, 14 is NOT old!!

But back to the thread, Looking back, it's not how early you start and how good you are when you are young. It's when one gets old and keep working out that is important. Just because one was a top athlete when they were young doesn't mean a thing. So many people stop moving when they get old. You don't use it, you lose it. My father represented Columbia University playing tennis back in late 20s. He was that good. When he got old, he just sat on the couch and watch tv. he was really disable, not from injuries, just deteriorated from not moving.

You pay the piper one way or the other, when you get old, you either try to work out, or you suffer pain and disability. I hate working out, I push through. Looking at my parents, it's less pain working out.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My long fist teacher just had his 95 years old birthday on 7/5. His example gives my a lot of hope.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any older beginners out there? How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
All I can think is, everybody else thinking, "hey look at that pathetic old person." Or, I'd have to do some dumbed down style or moves because I'm too old to do what everyone else does. Q
Never worry about what they are thinking know, for if you stick with the training, you will show them that you are never to old to have drive and ambition. I have been teaching for 41 years, and I amaze people what a 57 year old man can do lol.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My long fist teacher just had his 95 years old birthday on 7/5. His example gives my a lot of hope.

I'm 67 now, having started (re-started) late in life and achieved 1st dan a few months ago. Lordy, I feel like a white belt all over again as I am learning new stuff now. Lots of times I feel like not going to class. "senior-ity" seems to bring new challenges every day and I seem to be meeting a whole slew of doctors that now want me to set up annual appointments! On those "bad" days, I make myself go to class anyway. Why? Because there is a little boy, a short 12-year old, that has me up on a pedestal. He told the class one night when I was absent that I am his inspiration. Starting late in life? You never know how much someone will appreciate those waist-high roundhouse kicks and those inside-out/outside-in kicks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any older beginners out there? How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
All I can think is, everybody else thinking, "hey look at that pathetic old person." Or, I'd have to do some dumbed down style or moves because I'm too old to do what everyone else does. Q
The problem, I think, isn't age. It's that you care what other people may or may not be thinking.

My wife took her first TKD class in her 50's. I strapped her 1st Dan around her waist when she was in her 60's.

We had a woman who brought her grandson to class for quite a long time. He eventually lost interest, so Grandma signed up. She was 70. I strapped a 1st Dan on her at 78.

One of the guys I do cave diving with in Mexico taught a fellow to swim when he was in his mid-70's. He had to teach him to swim, because then he could teach him to dive.

I certified as a skydiver when I was 55.

If you can't do some of the more athletic moves, so what? There are plenty of highly trained, highly experienced instructors with decades of training who can't do them any more either.

I have had, so far, three different cancers. Two are cured, but one is incurable. I am still in treatment for it, to slow the progress. Chemotherapy has left me with neuropathies, so my feet are numb. That makes balance...interesting... You can bet I'm not doing tornado kicks. But I can teach them, regardless.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yessss. Balancing with neuropathy in the feet. Lots of moves require a bit of single foot balancing. I look like I'm tap dancing for a bit. And, then, there's the brittleness of bones. Just last night, we were doing standing rolls over a pretend "body". I'm now sporting a broken (or, at least a cracked) rib. Ain't life grand!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, yessss. Balancing with neuropathy in the feet. Lots of moves require a bit of single foot balancing. I look like I'm tap dancing for a bit. And, then, there's the brittleness of bones. Just last night, we were doing standing rolls over a pretend "body". I'm now sporting a broken (or, at least a cracked) rib. Ain't life grand!
I can still kick just fine. But demonstrations need to be slow. That's where I run into problems, mostly.

Latest Discussions