Any magazines out there devoted to Kenpo?

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do has a few. Kung Fu has a couple, Grappling and Karate all have their own publications. Why not Kenpo? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

I am not talking about an E-zine, but a good old fashioned paper magazine.

HKF

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is one out there, I havent seen it. I think that it would be a great asset for the art though. Something that would give some history, talk about all of the various branches, styles, etc. Definately would be a good thing. Mostly all I see are articles every now and then, but no mag. devoted just to the art.

Mike

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An all-Kenpo magazine always seems to be a great idea, but coming up with enough material to publish monthly or even quarterly could be a problem. Everyone in Kenpo (myself included) would love to read such a mag, but who wants to write it?

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried to do this about a year ago and you are right there just isn't enough materiel out there to publish on a monthly basis.

V/R

Rick

B

BlackIce

There is an abundance of material if you include KaJuKenBo, The Native Polynesian Arts, as well as all The EPAK Offshoot Arts. I'm sure there are some new and inovative ideas out there. Remember Kenpo is a Living Art that Evolves within Each Practitioner. It is not a Vacuume ( sorry if misspelled). We should enbrace ALL THINGS KENPO.... NOT JUST AMERICAN KENPO

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried that not many people willing to submit articles. It is harder than you think.

V/R

Rick

T

TheBattousai

I think that having a kempo mag would be great, but sponsership (funding), advertising, and knowledge of a large enough group that will read and purchase it would be hard to tell. Those I think those are the most troubling parts.But, here is one site with some article if anyone wants to read them.(A kempo site)

http://www.kiyojuteryu.org

I'll look, but if possible please post sites with other articles or some info on whether they think they can find some masters that would help write in the mag. Maybe if we can get things moving forward, something may happen....

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would gladly start one myself. But as Rick Wade pointed out, it is harder than it sounds.

Unless you have the capital to invest, I would start with an online version first. Maybe quarterly issues to start. But to really get something like this started, you need a commitment from several people for this endeavor before you begin.

I would say we would need author's willing to work for free, at least temporarily (maybe give free ads to their school). Not just from American Kenpo, but from a diverse styles. People from different lineages such as Chow, Mitose, Parker, Tracy, Cerio, Emperado and others. Preferably Kenpo stylists that are for the most part considered seniors.

Also, the people behind the scenes should not be biased. As each article should be edited and reviewed on content, not if you agree or disagree with the author's writing.

Also, one of my clients publishes a bi-monthly magazine for the western suburbs of Chicago. I know the amount of work involved in what they do. It's a full time job that has over 8 full time employees. They also go in a frenzy 2 weeks before the publication goes out.

So the bottom line. I would gladly start an online version. But, I have a business that I need to run, so my time is limited. As a web developer, I can design the site, get it online and maintain it. What I would need is commitment from several senior Kenpoists from various styles. As well as a couple experienced writers that are willing to do interview pieces and the like.

Also, I would have to make the e-mag profitable at some point. As nobody wants to work for free forever, including me. So I can afford to pay the writers and editors and attract more people to contribute.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be nice if one of the big name magazines already out there, such as Black Belt, started something like this. Of course, having a source of material as well as people who would be willing to contribute may be what causes some problems.

Mike

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
MJS said:
It would be nice if one of the big name magazines already out there, such as Black Belt, started something like this. Of course, having a source of material as well as people who would be willing to contribute may be what causes some problems.

It would never happen. BB Mag is a very commercial publication. Magazines make money from the ads, not from the subscribers. It's the amount of subscribers that dictates the cost of an ad. They would most likely loose money on the deal. Kenpo is just too narrow of a focus for them.

Here are some research I just did:

It would cost approx. $2 to $3 per mag for a printed 28 page mag of about 1000-2000. Price per mag going down as you print more (10,000 would cost $1 per).

Decent articles about what is involved.
http://www.publishingbiz.com/html/articles.html

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I work for a company (the largest in USA) that's deliver magazines to stores, business,hotels and mom and pop stores for the major publishing companies. We carry over 7,000 titles (magazines).

I 've seem so many martial art magazines come and go on the shelves. Only Black belt and Grappling seems to stay in most of the store shelves. All the others disappear because not enough people buying them. Lots and lot of titles too. (for the Hawaii stores).

It would be nice to have a Kempo/Kenpo magazine and great if we can get enough readership/buyers.

Magazine companies make most of the money from selling ads. The more people buy your magazines. The more ads space will be purchase. It is all about numbers. Repeat business is a successful business

If a Kempo magazine could make it? Those who are in the business of publishing martial art magazines would have done it!

Today maybe it may be time to try again..................go and look, observer how many people pick-up and buy a martial magazine. This will give you a little idea of sales.

If one never tries....one never knows? ........Aloha

Latest Discussions