any legit krav places in northridge area?

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am still waiting to tell about the place I visited but I think I need some more options that I can feel confident are legitimate. Could someone help with that please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've asked several times now if places are 'legitimate', could you tell us what you mean by this? do you mean is it legal or do you mean is it a good place to train?
To be honest I think if you go to a place and you like the instruction, you feel you fit in, the training is enjoyable, gives you enough challenge without over facing you and doesn't charge a fortune then that place is 'legitimate'.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
good point Bill. alright, I'm going to just give them a call and talk to them and take a lesson. your right. I shouldn't bother you guys with this.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
good point Bill. alright, I'm going to just give them a call and talk to them and take a lesson. your right. I shouldn't bother you guys with this.

I don't think you're bothering anyone, but I doubt anyone here can answer your questions. Go see them, see what you think.

Just FYI, we get about 100 phone calls of inquiry per single visit. Don't call, go. Otherwise you're not serious about training.

Best of luck, do let us know how it goes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have nothing to lose by going, only you will know whether it 'fits' you. We could recommend a top training place with world class coaches but if you don't feel you fit in or you dislike the style you will learn nothing, you could find an unknown instructor who teaches a fairly obscure style to a few students and absolutely love it so you would train hard as often as you could to become a fantastic martial artist. It's entirely up to you. Try a few styles, a few different instructors and find out where you see yourself training hard and enjoying it.
As Bill says let us know how you get on.

mattjans

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
williamsdean, I've gotta agree with Tez3 on that one. Experience is everything. But I know your anxiety about it. I fell into a great TSD experience as a kid, where I tried through 1st Dan. I found it really hard to go to new schools and try new styles through college and after for fear that they wouldn't match it, or that I wouldn't like it, or I'd "unlearn" something. But I've found that the only thing that helps with that is experiencing different styles and instructors.

I fell into KM at the KM Alliance HQ in Culver City (Affiliates), and I love it. One of the great things about KM is that it's so transparent and based on simplicity, and application/trial. Of course you can look up people's certs and histories, and read Yelp recommendations, but nothing is better than your own experience. I really liked what I saw about John's (the owner's) experience and attitude about KM and training), and the experience has matched. If you're worried "Are they skilled/trained/certified enough to teach me good technique?" this is where Krav beats traditional arts, in that the proof is in the pudding. It matters less what their lineage is than that what they teach works (a core, and maybe the only "absolute" philosophy of KM). So the instructor should teach you techniques and have you hitting bags/pads, and doing real-life-like drills ASAP. If not (other than what's smart for safety), and you get the feeling they're showing you tricks that you can't really test or question, go elsewhere. My Alliance experience is that a good KM school will let you question (verbally) and experiment to gain efficiency in your skills.

Curiouos to hear what you choose.

mattjans

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you're bothering anyone, but I doubt anyone here can answer your questions. Go see them, see what you think.

Just FYI, we get about 100 phone calls of inquiry per single visit. Don't call, go. Otherwise you're not serious about training.

Best of luck, do let us know how it goes.

Agreed. I once "wasted" 30-45 minutes of a Sensei's time b/c I was nervous about starting a new style...getting into a high-pressure contract situation, etc. Of course I ended up training with him for 2-3 years or so, so not really waste. Just like shopping, if they don't allow you some kind of trial, per-month, etc., (e.g., flexibility on pay schedule and commitment) and only let you train with very expensive long-term contracts, think twice. Alliance was an easy one for me b/c they have other things than Krav, and I've actually done more crossfit than krav the past 3 years.

Latest Discussions