Any demonstration team people?

K.is.for.karate

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been taking karate for about three years now and am about a year away from my black belt, but for the last year, give or take a few extra months, I've been on the demontration team at my school. We basically get shows at various community get-togethers and special events and perform shows to incite interest in the martial arts and our school. It's really fun, and we have so many jokes among our team...

Anyway, enough ranmbling, I just though it'd be fun to share some funny experiences people have had in demonstrations, or tournaments, or even just in a normal class...

We have a lot of little inside jokes in our team that I think are really funny, but they'll probably bore everyone else if I have to explain the joke after telling it, huh? ;]

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it wasn't funny at the time, but we showed up to an event with a team of 15 people and the space they provided for us was about 4' x 4'.
I am not sure how they expected 15 people to even fit in that space, never mind actually trying to move! :0)
We ended up finding our own area and it worked out fine although I don't think the host liked us improvising, but i think after seeing the bo staffs in hand they didn't argue! :)

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
lmao. Let's see, I had been on the demo team for all of... a month, maybe? I had gotten on because my sensei needed someone who could look good with the nunchaku. Our first performance went great. I got out there and performed for the opening of the TMNT movie. But for reasons spontaneous and unknown, my sensei decided that, for this performance, we would put TWO nunchucks in my hand, AND blind me, WITHOUT A KATA.

We were performing on a rather wobbly stage made of a series of extensions... and there were lots of holes in the stage.

So, I went out there, and when the time came I walked to the center of the stage and was blindfolded by another one of my senseis; now I know you're waiting for something horrible to happen, right? Well, my performance actually went rather well... but the amusement that met me in the form of my sensei afterwards was hilarious...
he announced between bouts of uncontrollable laughter that we would be keeping that forever. ;)
I'm just waiting for something absolutely embarrassing to happen with these blindfolded double nunchaku improvisations... after all, I'm the only person on the demo team who doesn't know exactly what they'll be doing out there!

Latest Discussions