Self defense laws...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It also may depend on any injury caused. If there was an altercation where one person was obviously to blame for a situation, as in an unprovoked attack, and the person attacked defends themselves without causing injury to the attacker, it would be extremely unlikely that police here would do more than interview the person who used force to defend them self. That could even occur if minor damage was inflicted. However, as soon as there is an injury there is the chance of civil litigation, a very good reason to ensure that force used is not excessive.
:asian:

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
For instance, during my tour in South Korea, I was told that there is no immediate right granted to you for self defense simply because you are attacked. Fleeing has the be your first consideration, always. If there is no way you can get away and call for help, and you are absolutely, positively backed into a corner with nowhere to run, then and only then can you take measures to physically defend yourself.
The problem with that is a person shouldn't have to flee a public place just because some hoodlum attacks them. Lets say Im attacked on the street, the hoodlum doesn't own the street and I have as much as a right to be there as they do. I shouldn't have to leave a place I have a right to be at, just because some troublemaker attacks me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with that is a person shouldn't have to flee a public place just because some hoodlum attacks them. Lets say Im attacked on the street, the hoodlum doesn't own the street and I have as much as a right to be there as they do. I shouldn't have to leave a place I have a right to be at, just because some troublemaker attacks me.

Dude... You need some reality checking. Life ain't fair, and while you may feel you have a right to go where you want, there are formal and informal rules. Wander down the wrong streets of Anacostia in DC or in the Tenderloin in San Fransisco, or enter the wrong hollow in the Appalachian Mountains, and you'll learn that they play by different rule sets, and they don't care about yours.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dude... You need some reality checking. Life ain't fair, and while you may feel you have a right to go where you want, there are formal and informal rules. Wander down the wrong streets of Anacostia in DC or in the Tenderloin in San Fransisco, or enter the wrong hollow in the Appalachian Mountains, and you'll learn that they play by different rule sets, and they don't care about yours.

Absolutely true!!!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question for anyone who cares to read this and is willing to elaborate a bit:

What are the "self defense laws" where you currently live? I use the term self defense laws loosely because I am not certain that there are such laws in some places.

For instance, during my tour in South Korea, I was told that there is no immediate right granted to you for self defense simply because you are attacked. Fleeing has the be your first consideration, always. If there is no way you can get away and call for help, and you are absolutely, positively backed into a corner with nowhere to run, then and only then can you take measures to physically defend yourself.

I'm a little foggy about the US laws. I think, here in Arkansas where I am staying, it's not so restricting. There is obviously such a thing as going too far, but I believe that generally it's expected that if you are attacked that you will do what it is necessary to defend yourself: be it running away or standing your ground.

I know some states differ, and obviously other countries will be vastly different than ours here in the states, I am sure.

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." - Anonymous

Where I live you are allowed to do "enough" to get out of a situation safely. If you are cornered in an alley, then you are supposed to do what you can to make an escape route and then leave. Let's say five guys have you trapped in this alley. If you have a clear shot to run once you knock one of them down, then you would not be legally justified to beat the crap out of the other four.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, I have heard something about this too. You walk through a neighborhood that is well-known to be a high crime area. Some thugs attack you. You defend yourself. The police get involved. It goes to court. They will say, "Well why would you walk through a neighborhood you knew was bad?"

Is it unfair? Yes. Is it the same as saying that a rape victim was asking for it? Yes. But this is the kind of stunt that defense lawyers will pull.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know anymore.

I was kicking out a guy who I wound up having to drop.

In the process he bit me and I rape choked him.

It went to court and he got off.obviously because of the choke right?

No. It was because at one point I grabbed his elbow because he was turning and swearing at me. I had unlawfully assaulted his elbow. And he bit me in reasonable self defence.

The_Awesome_User

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thankfully in the us we believe if someone forces his way onto your property you can pretty much use as much force as you can. Because you never know when someone is hiding a weapon.

However some liberal states like California basicly force you to hide in your bedroom while someone robs your house.

Burglar in Texas "hey don't steel from that guy. He's got a mini gun"

Burglar in Texas's buddy " I wont because I heard he has chuck Norrises phone number let's move to California"

Calafornia resident "hey are you finished yet"

Burglar from Texas in California "nah I am still having trouble getting the tv through the door"

(Disclaimer this is a hyperbole and it is suposed to be bad . Don't get offended or the trolls will find your house and turn you into a meme)

Latest Discussions