Another Newbie Here!

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Call me TwentyThree, I'm a relatively new MA student studying PaSaRyu (sometimes called taekwondo, sometimes called karate - it's a hybrid form with some of both with a little kung fu mixed in - low stances and such) and a little Arnis/Small Circle Jujitsu/Ryukyu Kempo on the side.

I was an athlete in my younger days until I injured both of my knees pretty badly in long distance running. After hurting myself several times, I became pretty sedentary. After nearly 20 years of that, I developed hypertension and I'm over 35 pounds overweight - surprise! Regular gyms bore me, and my kidlet was already attending the PaSaRyu Karate school (and my hubby started in December 2007)... so I got off my duff and started up myself.

I had no idea I would LOVE doing this as much as I am. As mentioned earlier, in my younger days I was an athlete, and it's so good to feel... strong again. At least, stronger. My arms and legs are developing definition, but my midriff is still portlier than I was hoping for! :)

When I started I could almost do one full, correct push-up... now I'm up to 12. That may not seem like much, but hey, in a couple of months, that's not too bad!

I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to discussing our journey in martial arts with all of you!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings Twenty Three and Welcome to MT...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Afternoon, twenty three and welcome to MartialTalk. Have a look around, find a place to sit and have a chat - hopefully we can show you that here at MT your username may be a number but you shall never be treated like one :D.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's an inspiring story, TwentyThree. Wow, a 1200% increase in push up ability. Now if I could do that...:D Glad to hear you're having fun and moving again. My knees are shot, too, but martial arts (often modified) are the one activity I can do. Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome. I look forward to hearing your triumphs and achievements. Congrats on getting into MA.

minivanninja

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! Keep up the good work on the push ups, I'm up to a whopping 16 from nearly none a year ago. Slow going but at least there's progress!