Another good day of training

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But if you suspect that you actually injured yourself, however, that is a different matter.
Yep If things weren't getting better then, this is what I would be thinking as well. I used to go to the doctor a lot as a teen and to physical therapy, thanks to a mom that thought the worse at every injury. One of the things the doctors and sports therapist told me was to pay attention to what I'm feeling and determine if it's getting better over time or getting worse overtime. This is in regards to normal daily movement.

If there's no improvement in 5 days then seek medical attention. I pretty much follow this advice to this day. If I take a pain killer then it's only for one or two days during the worse pain, then I stop, because I need to know if I'm getting better or if it's just the pain killer that's making me feel better.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep If things weren't getting better then, this is what I would be thinking as well. I used to go to the doctor a lot as a teen and to physical therapy, thanks to a mom that thought the worse at every injury. One of the things the doctors and sports therapist told me was to pay attention to what I'm feeling and determine if it's getting better over time or getting worse overtime. This is in regards to normal daily movement.

If there's no improvement in 5 days then seek medical attention. I pretty much follow this advice to this day. If I take a pain killer then it's only for one or two days during the worse pain, then I stop, because I need to know if I'm getting better or if it's just the pain killer that's making me feel better.
Yeah, since I became a parent my training took a backseat for a while. I got rusty and out of shape. A couple years ago i began working to correct that but it was hit-and-miss at times. Covid has actually given me the time to really focus on my training again, but other projects can still interrupt. So I have gone through muscle soreness multiple times over these years, as I get into a good training routine, but then get interrupted for a couple weeks, then get back to it. Sore and tired, every time. But these are old friends. I know them well. I know what it feels like. I would never think that I need to see a doctor or a special trainer to tell me why I am sore and tired. Ive been through this over and over, during a long history of training martial arts and other athletic endeavors.

something tells me that you have probably been through this as much as I have.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely not consulting with a sports performance coach on this issue. Only to have them tell me the same thing that I just posted. I had 3 years of sports medicine 6 year training as a competitive athlete and being coached by performance coaches during that time and they all say the same thing that I posted.

From the University of Deleaware: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: What We Know and What We Don't (Emphasis on Don't) | BMEG442: Engineering Exercise and Sports

"Muscle soreness, more specifically delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is common in athletes of all levels of expertise. It occurs after performing a training activity that is unfamiliar. This could be activities than an athlete has not performed in a few months, activities they’ve never performed before, or even simply an intensity level or duration of exercise that they don’t normally reach, despite performing that exercise regularly. These unfamiliar activities, also known as eccentric training, are known to induce severe muscle soreness characterized by increasing intensity of symptoms beginning as late as 24-48 hours after exercise and lasting for days."

From the American College of Sports Medicine: Source: https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...-muscle-soreness-(doms).pdf?sfvrsn=8f430e18_2

"Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)Any type of activity that places unaccustomed loads on muscle may lead to delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). This type of soreness is different from acute soreness, which is pain that develops during the actual activity. Delayed soreness typically begins to develop 12-24hours after the exercise has been performed and may produce the greatest pain between 24-72 hours after the exercise has been performed. While origins of the soreness and accompanying symptoms are complex, it is well-established that many types of physical activity can cause delayed soreness. Most believe soreness develops as a result of microscopic damage tomuscle fibers involved the exercise. This type of damage likely results from novel stresses that were experienced during the exercise. One common misconception about DOMS is that it is due to lactic acid accumulation, but lactic acid is not a component of this process. DOMS appears to be a side effect of the repair process that develops in response to microscopic muscle damage.
im not denying that doms is a thing im denying that DOMS is always a good thing or indicative of athletic progress

sensations in your muscles for a couple of days may be a good indicators anything beyond that is just an indicator of excessive overload and obviously stops further useful training taking place,

some people, including it seems you have concluded that consistently injuring themselves, rather than controlled progressive over load is a good training strategy, very few of these reach the Olympics

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
some people, including it seems you have concluded that consistently injuring themselves, rather than controlled progressive over load is a good training strategy, very few of these reach the Olympics
unfortunately this is the basis of conditioning in Chinese martial arts. In general they are 2 types of injuries. Injuries that build up and strengthen the body. And injuries that damage the body long term.

This is pretty much the standard in what you can expect to feel when you train kung fu seriously. Ignore the kid crying. We do our crying on the inside. Pay attention to the older kids who are trying with them of how they are coping with the pain. There's a kid at 2:48 on the right side of the screen wearing brown pants. You can see his legs shake. That's a common sight

The idea of push through pain isn't just a Chinese Concept. At 0:20. "Do you feel pain?... Shake that off"

The key is not to have injury that is long term. Like sprained ankle, dislocated shoulder, broken finger, or jammed finger. Things of that sore do occur but, they don't build up anything.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
unfortunately this is the basis of conditioning in Chinese martial arts. In general they are 2 types of injuries. Injuries that build up and strengthen the body. And injuries that damage the body long term.

This is pretty much the standard in what you can expect to feel when you train kung fu seriously. Ignore the kid crying. We do our crying on the inside. Pay attention to the older kids who are trying with them of how they are coping with the pain. There's a kid at 2:48 on the right side of the screen wearing brown pants. You can see his legs shake. That's a common sight

The idea of push through pain isn't just a Chinese Concept. At 0:20. "Do you feel pain?... Shake that off"

The key is not to have injury that is long term. Like sprained ankle, dislocated shoulder, broken finger, or jammed finger. Things of that sore do occur but, they don't build up anything.
im not sure posting child abuse vids is helping your argument much

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
im not sure posting child abuse vids is helping your argument much
There's no argument. "unfortunately this is the basis of conditioning in Chinese martial arts."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's no argument. "unfortunately this is the basis of conditioning in Chinese martial arts."
yes I know, but things have moved on considerably in the last hundred years or so, to be fair to the chinese, this still abounds in gyms as " bro science " but not so much in serious performance training

the issue people seem to have trouble with, is that strengh is primarily a nervious system issue, only vaguely related to muscle size,that is increase in muscle volume is caused by getting stronger and not the other way around,

if you can accept that, then it becomes obvious, that damaging your muscles doesnt help you get stronger, it just cuts down the frequency at which you can work on you cns and thus how quickly you can make progress

some where around the 80% effort mark is quite good at making constant progress,

the 5,3,1 strengh building program, guaranteed to make you stronger month on month year on year is based,around this concept of you never lifting at more than 90% of you one rep max, and then that level is only hit very briefly, ONCE

it really is not intuitative that doing less gets you better performance gain, but it is so

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's similar to the walking lunge, but the legs aren't as far apart. Your legs will take a functional fighting stance like the wrestler, and your back will be straight like the video below. This way I can work out a functional stance and the muscles that support a functional stance. The walking lunges in the video below are easier. Because you engage the muscle then disengage the muscle with every step (when he straightens the legs). They way that I describe it keeps the muscle engaged. The pace of the walk is a little slower than what you see in the video. The longer I can use use the muscle through the lift and walk process the better.

I also stretch my arms out as if I'm trying to defend against someone coming in or as if I'm pushing a box with my arms slightly bent (think long guard).

Hey JowGaWolf, I think I am following what you are doing but a video would be better to ensure we are on the same page. It sounds like you are perhaps 'pulsing' the muscles in short arcs that progressively get longer ? If I do understand what you are doing then I would be interested to hear if the 'loading' of your muscles in this fashion increases your strength or performance over time. It certainly sounds like it is one heck of a workout.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey JowGaWolf, I think I am following what you are doing but a video would be better to ensure we are on the same page. It sounds like you are perhaps 'pulsing' the muscles in short arcs that progressively get longer ? If I do understand what you are doing then I would be interested to hear if the 'loading' of your muscles in this fashion increases your strength or performance over time. It certainly sounds like it is one heck of a workout.
it would be interesting but i fear we will never know unless he finds a performance measure independent of the silly walk to measure against, other wise all we are likely to find out is he is getting better at the silly walk, which i think is his sole objective

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha, Jobo, come on man. JowGaWolf is trying a new method to improve his own training. He is kind enough to share it with us. It may or may not do the things he is expecting but why give him a hard time about it ? The only one he's currently hurting is himself and it is not in a way that will cause long term issues.

I've loaded my quads in a similar manner using various squatting techniques and I have not kept any empirical information. Even if I did, my sample size and length would be too small to be able to generalize. We all need to start somewhere though.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll get a video of the exercise and show the technique.

To show that I'm getting stronger over time. I can do a before and after video. I'll have my son join and get feed back on his training. I already know that it works but at least this way you can see it. I'll need at least 6 sessions of this before there's noticeable difference that can be seen in the camera. I'll feel the difference much sooner because it will be less difficult to do.

I'll perform the techniques multiple times and will stop once I feel the burn out coming. If my legs are getting stronger then it will take longer for me to feel the burn and I should be able to do the technique longer without strain.

My son will not know that I'm recording results. Once that's done, I can compare our training results with someone who doesn't train this way. My wife lifts weights and works out more than I do. From there we can compare the difference.

She has been training for 4 months consistently. She does leg works with weights.

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

To show that I'm getting stronger over time. I can do a before and after video. I'll have my son join and get feed back on his training. I already know that it works but at least this way you can see it. I'll need at least 6 sessions of this before there's noticeable difference that can be seen in the camera. I'll feel the difference much sooner because it will be less difficult to do.

I'll perform the techniques multiple times and will stop once I feel the burn out coming. If my legs are getting stronger then it will take longer for me to feel the burn and I should be able to do the technique longer without strain.

My son will not know that I'm recording results. Once that's done, I can compare our training results with someone who doesn't train this way. My wife lifts weights and works out more than I do. From there we can compare the difference.

She has been training for 4 months consistently. She does leg works with weights.
Ok cool. It is a good place to start and I am always interested in finding new ways to work a group of muscles. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haha, Jobo, come on man. JowGaWolf is trying a new method to improve his own training. He is kind enough to share it with us. It may or may not do the things he is expecting but why give him a hard time about it ? The only one he's currently hurting is himself and it is not in a way that will cause long term issues.
It doesn't bother me. He's missing big chunks of information about how this exercise helps and which techniques it helps.

Last edited:

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

The other important thing to keep in mind (in my opinion) when comparing results like this is skill acquisition. Studies have shown than even very simple movements (like upper body, visible, compound movements with machine weights) take average people a surprising number of sessions before they have become proficient. If you evaluate your data without taking this into account your results may be more a measure of skill rather than strength improvement.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The other important thing to keep in mind (in my opinion) when comparing results like this is skill acquisition. Studies have shown than even very simple movements (like upper body, visible, compound movements with machine weights) take average people a surprising number of sessions before they have become proficient. If you evaluate your data without taking this into account your results may be more a measure of skill rather than strength improvement.
I'll let you guys determine that. I'm just going to focus on training. I don't want to turn my training session into a big scientific experiment. I already know what the outcome will be. Yokozuna seems to have an honest interest so I don't mind recording it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually just ordered a massage gun for myself (if that's sorta what you mean), can't wait to see how it goes and wonder how it compares with good ol foam rolling etc.
Received my massage gun today, already looks VERY promising! Not only multiple attachments and long battery life, but it'll help ya out in a sticky street fight jam! JowGaWolf, everyone, get in on this, this may be the secret we're all looking for! Will report back in a little while on how helpful I find it.

(Wow, gotta love translation attempts, but this seems mighty out of left field! 🤣)

Screenshot_20210504-152248_Gallery.jpg

Edit: Aaaaaand after only just a few minutes of using it (just all the major muscle groups), I am absolutely in love with it haha.... feel just amazing afterwards.. far out I will definitely be using this daily.

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Received my massage gun today, already looks VERY promising! Not only multiple attachments and long battery life, but it'll help ya out in a sticky street fight jam! JowGaWolf, everyone, get in on this, this may be the secret we're all looking for! Will report back in a little while on how helpful I find it.

(Wow, gotta love translation attempts, but this seems mighty out of left field! 🤣)

View attachment 26664

Edit: Aaaaaand after only just a few minutes of using it (just all the major muscle groups), I am absolutely in love with it haha.... feel just amazing afterwards.. far out I will definitely be using this daily.
Just don't name it and start bringing it with you everywhere. That'll be weird...........

Latest Discussions