It Was One Of Those Training Days

Grange

White Belt
Reaction score
This week started out on a rough note when I got a flat tire in my work parking lot due to a sharp piece of gravel going through the tread of my rear passenger tire. Then work was so busy I didn't get anything done on my to do list. So when I was getting ready for my first training session of the week I wasn't expecting it to go well. However today I went training Wu Ying Tao over lunch and had a great session. From the kicking drills to the sparring I felt really good. Then after work I went to train Modern Arnis and Arnis Jitsu those classes were a blast. I learned some new locks with take downs and chokes with takedowns in Modern Arnis and then in Arnis Jitsu I grappled with three different partners and got submissions on all three. I wish training always went this well. Of course I still get something out of the difficult days too, but they aren't as fun.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No matter how lousy my day was, I always feel better when I'm in the dojo. No matter what, being in the dojo makes me feel good.

We have a sign on the door saying "Leave your attitude and your shoes at the door." I totally get that, but to be honest, I seldom have to check my attitude when I step out onto the mat; it's automatic.

It's good to have medicine like this, isn't it? Outside, the world sucks. Inside, we hit each other and life is fine.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter how lousy my day was, I always feel better when I'm in the dojo. No matter what, being in the dojo makes me feel good.

We have a sign on the door saying "Leave your attitude and your shoes at the door." I totally get that, but to be honest, I seldom have to check my attitude when I step out onto the mat; it's automatic.

It's good to have medicine like this, isn't it? Outside, the world sucks. Inside, we hit each other and life is fine.
Agreed. Even the days I REALLY didn't want to go (still have those now, but as an instructor all my excuses are useless) I always walked away less stressed and more energized than when I walked in. The harder I got to work, the more energy I had when I left. Odd, that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've had a couple of days recently where not only did I not leave my attitude at the door, I planned on taking it in with me to work out on the bags during class. Somehow, way before we get into bagwork (if we even do it that day), that entire notion has left me, and I don't remember that I was sad/angry/frustrated/mopey/depressed, until I leave. And even then, I'm not feeling that mood, it's just a "huh, when did that change?" realization.

More than anything else that is why I keep going back. I know enough that I feel I can handle myself in most SD situations (that can be handled realistically), and the time/money put into it probably isn't enough to make up for the situations I cant. I also have no plan to compete anytime soon. But the ability to focus on just MA for an hour or two and leave in a much better mood than I came in makes it all worth it.