Ancient manuals and modern scams

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Excellent thread Mr Kennedy. Welcome to the forums!

Slightly off-topic, but I would *highly* recommend Mr Kennedy's book "Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals."

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Marti...7400837?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180920157&sr=1-2

Don't be deceived by the title: the book is *not* only about training manuals. It's quite simply one of the best books out there on Chinese martial arts history and practices. Get this book if you want a thorough and BS-free look at Chinese martial arts and are not afraid to have some cherished myths destroyed.

One of the best chapters IMO is "How Did Chinese Martial Artists Make a Living?"

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, guys.
Sorry 'bout the thread hijack.
I know I would never buy or be particularly interested in an "ancient manual". I feel they would have nothing to offer that we don't already know. For posterity it's worth preserving. I know I can't judge a good fake from the real thing myself.

IronMonkey

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to eventually progress to fire gong and bone marrow cleansing, but look at it as a chance to train in peace for a change, but to train hard. It will cost me aprox $7000 per year which is cheaper than a year's worth of living expenses in canada. I won't have to work, just train all day. I already know how to defend myself, but my level of actual martial arts training is low. I'm more interested in learning the traditional training, combat aplicable, of course. I want to see it for myself, because I'm a little tired of the speculation. I'm taking mandarin in september for a year before I go, and they also teach it over there. I've also wanted to visit china all my life.

You would probably get more authentic Shaolin training at the temple in Houston, Tx or at Shi Yan Ming's temple in New York, than you will from the actors at "the" Shaolin Temple. If you really want to know more, ask over on the forum at Russbo.com and you'll get first hand info from others who have been there.

Latest Discussions