An Old Okinawan Karate Secret? The Double Bone Block

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Source:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=334

According to Ron van de Sandt (the author of the article) he believes that the double block bone technique is stronger in certain cases.

Anatomically, the double bone block also provides more strength and leverage to the block. Try this as an experiment. Slowly using a standard outward block with your right hand (with the palm facing you, thumb to the outside), have someone resist its action (from the right) at the wrist. Now try turning the fist slightly until the palm is facing left (thumb upward). Again, have someone resist its action at the wrist. Which is stronger? Then do a right upper block, turning your palm facing front, have someone pull down on the arm at the wrist. Now turn the palm to face toward the ground, and lower the elbow so the forearm is at about a 45 degree angle. Again, have someone pull down at the wrist. Which is stronger?
If you’re not familiar with double bone blocks, experiment using the double bone block versions for upper blocks, lower, middle and outward blocks, and see what happens. But be careful, and do so under the watchful eyes of a qualified instructor.

The source links has pics to better demonstrate the technique.

I think the author could have used better pics. The screen shot of the high block makes me cringe.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really see this principle manifested most clearly in isshin-ryu karate. I was not exposed to anything other than the edge block until I was an advanced belt in my system, but I understand this type of blocking is staple in isshin-ryu.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I been telling you guys, Isshin-Ryu rules, but do you listen? Nooooooo...

Next we'll hear about the superiority of the vertical fist...

icon12.gif

Just kidding! (but I do love Isshin-Ryu and it *does* rule)

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The vertical fist has merit.

I like the relaxed open hand. I'm getting lazy with age.

icon10.gif

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I been telling you guys, Isshin-Ryu rules, but do you listen? Nooooooo...

Next we'll hear about the superiority of the vertical fist...

icon12.gif

Just kidding! (but I do love Isshin-Ryu and it *does* rule)

Well of course isshin-ryu is good. It is a rip off of Goju and Shorin after all.

:) j/k

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The technique makes sense. Distributing the force of impact between two bones means that neither bone is absorbing the full force of the blow.

Daniel