Peruvian Fighter Charged With Manslaughter After Training Death

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's be careful out there...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/04/...arged-with-manslaughter-after-training-death/

Peruvian Fighter Charged With Manslaughter After Training Death

Franco Lescano had only been training in mixed martial arts for six months when everything went wrong. During the midst of sparring with David Salazar inside a San Fernando, Argentina gym on March 10, two lives would be changed forever.

While the facts of exactly what happened are in dispute, the final outcome was undoubtedly tragic: a training accident resulted in Lescano becoming a quadriplegic and eventually dying after 21 days of intensive care hospitalization.

According to at least one local press report, the accident resulted when Lescano was shooting in for a takedown and landed awkwardly, probably on his head.

The result of the horrific sequence was two fractured cervical vertebrae and spinal damage for Lescano, who was left motionless.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this can be classified as '**** happens'.

It is a tragedy for the persons involved, and we all hope that it will never happen to us or in our dojo. We've probably all seen accidents where we think 'Man he got off lucky'. I know I have. And I've seen Bob Sapp execute a pile driver in an MMA match with the intention of literally ramming the other persons head through the floor. I was surprised the other guy survived.

Hopefully the other guy gets acquitted or whatever has to happen, legally speaking.

<me>Knock on wood</me>

Latest Discussions