An Ip Man Movie

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A Chinese co worker of mine told me today that the movie is available in Chinatown?! Is this movie not going to be widely distributed over in the US? Just curious, so I know how to get it. I enjoy Donnie Yen immensely, especially due to not only his skills but those of his mother, Bow Sim Mark.

Yes it will not hit theatres in the US. Good ol bias towards asian movies which is a pure shame. It is funny how movie studios in the U.S. wont purchase the rights to show the movies here in the U.S. BUT they will remake asian movies (usually do a worse job) and put them in theatres here.

Yes I am sure you can get it in Chinatown. The DVD came out in mainland China the very end of december. You can order it online as well if you don't see the DVD in Chinatown but it should be available.

Donnie Yen is great and it is sad that he doesn't get any recognition over here. The guy did a great job in the movie.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ace, any clue how to get a subtitled or English version of the DVD? Would love to buy or order. Thanks!

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
is this movie any good? will they use real wing chun in the movie?

you tell me:

Last edited by a moderator:

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ace, any clue how to get a subtitled or English version of the DVD? Would love to buy or order. Thanks!

I know the DVD and BluRay come out on Feb 13th.
i believe you can get it from yesasia.com
I need to preorder it myself on blu ray.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

Does anyone know if it's out in the UK yet? Or is/has it gone/going straight to DVD? Most big Chinese films like Fearless are getting mainstream showings here, so I've not heard a thing. :mst:

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

Does anyone know if it's out in the UK yet? Or is/has it gone/going straight to DVD? Most big Chinese films like Fearless are getting mainstream showings here, so I've not heard a thing. :mst:

Well, I saw a listing that said it would have a theatrical release in the US this spring, but now they're listing the dvd release for Feb.
Have you checked any UK sites for upcoming movies? You may see a limited release on the big screen over there.

tarzan

White Belt
Reaction score
Some people might tell you that this movie can be found on the interweb, with soft subtitles. Though the plot is pretty easy to determine with out the subtitles, which is nice. Long story short...

It's AWESOME!!! I watched it for the first time about a month ago and have watched it about 4 times since. I think you can find a bunch of the fight scenes on the web, like youtube or something.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I saw a listing that said it would have a theatrical release in the US this spring, but now they're listing the dvd release for Feb.
Have you checked any UK sites for upcoming movies? You may see a limited release on the big screen over there.

I checked out a well known films website which gave no concrete information either way. All it said was "uncertain as to whether it will be released in cinematic format". Which, was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I've got a Chinese friend who lives in NZ, who has an official copy already due to his familial contacts. Well. He said it's official, he'll bring me copy over in the next month or so for his daughters wedding.