Amy Winehouse found dead at 27

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite agree, John. It is a sadness that she couldn't ride out the 'tsunami' of the 'Rolling Stones' lifestyle that took hold of her after her rise to fame :(.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quite agree, John. It is a sadness that she couldn't ride out the 'tsunami' of the 'Rolling Stones' lifestyle that took hold of her after her rise to fame :(.
Very few promising and great stars can endure the wave of drugs that their lifestyle affords them. So much talent has been lost to the bane of the famous. Yet even those who survive come out looking worse for wear.
Sorry that this young lady died so soon. Her career indeed had promise.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just been reading through the comments on the Daily Mail link to this news that clfsean posted.

This one I wholeheartedly agree with {Amy's father is on a plane at the time of reporting} :

"I think it's appalling that this has been reported & we all know before her poor Father. RIP Amy & my sincerest condolences to her family & friends."

This one beggars my belief at the callousness of some of my fellows :( :

"Winehouse was just another self-indulging entertainer addicted to drugs ... anyway ... good career move before drugs ruined her vocal cords ..."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of her type of music and knew little about her but I wouldn't wish her dead. I know that many cynics will think that her management can't help being pleased as it will 'revive' her career but it's still a tragedy for someone as young as she to die this way. I feel for her family.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a fan of her type of music and knew little about her but I wouldn't wish her dead. I know that many cynics will think that her management can't help being pleased as it will 'revive' her career but it's still a tragedy for someone as young as she to die this way. I feel for her family.
Yes, sadly she will do better now than ever before.

it is tragic in more way than one losing somebody in this manner. Sadly she was never able to get a grip on the life in the fast lane.
And really it does not matter much if the person is talented or just plane, it's tragic.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This wasn't the first time she went overboard. There were many, many other occurrences, and some of them can even be seen during her performances.

Just last month, when she was "singing" in Serbia, it sounded more like someone who had taken a triple dose of muscle relaxants trying to "sing" a song.

The father tried everything he could to get her clean, as did her managers, but in the end, it was Amy Winehouse who decided to throw away her many chances. If anything, she was fortunate to have such supportive people around her, or else this date would have come much sooner.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in the end, it was Amy Winehouse who decided to throw away her many chances. If anything, she was fortunate to have such supportive people around her, or else this date would have come much sooner.
This.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone got mad at me today because I said this was a good lesson for young people. They accused me of celebrating her death, which I wasn't doing. My point is that instead of trying to scare kids with government propaganda, we should show them this and say, "if you live like this, you will die like that." Then they can go out and make whatever decisions they want for their lives because they will know the natural consequences of those decisions.

Amy Winehouse obviously didn't feel like she was "wasting" her life. She was living exactly the life she wanted to live. And it ended exactly the way everyone knew it would if she stayed on that path. Fine. That was her decision. And now we have another example we can point to when we explain the consequences of drug abuse to young people. I don't begrudge her her decisions. I hope she isn't somewhere regretting them. Take what you want and pay for it. She wanted to live hard. And so she died young.

And adults everywhere were unsurprised.

-Rob

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A number of people equally as tallented or more so than the late Ms. Winehouse made similar poor decisions, and ended up in the same place.
It's a tragedy for her friends and family. I feel for them most of all.
For her fans, I feel sorry.
For her, pity.
Any life cut short is a shame. Especially when one with talent chooses a self-destructive path and goes so young. What heights could she have reached, what art could she have created, if only she had made the decisions differently.
All of us have choices to make. All of us choose our own paths and walk them, and ultimately decide if we will sink or swim.
She choose to sink.
And regardless if you were a fan of hers or not (I'm not btw), =we= are lessened by her, and all the others, premature exits from this life.
The greatest tragedy, is the song not sung, the poem not wrote, the book not penned, and the life not lived.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A number of people equally as tallented or more so than the late Ms. Winehouse made similar poor decisions, and ended up in the same place.
It's a tragedy for her friends and family. I feel for them most of all.
For her fans, I feel sorry.
For her, pity.
Any life cut short is a shame. Especially when one with talent chooses a self-destructive path and goes so young. What heights could she have reached, what art could she have created, if only she had made the decisions differently.
All of us have choices to make. All of us choose our own paths and walk them, and ultimately decide if we will sink or swim.
She choose to sink.
And regardless if you were a fan of hers or not (I'm not btw), =we= are lessened by her, and all the others, premature exits from this life.
The greatest tragedy, is the song not sung, the poem not wrote, the book not penned, and the life not lived.

Poetic, Chief.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do folks really think she wanted to live life as a drug addict and a drunk? Of those folks, who has had reason to try and quit drugs and alcohol? Until you've been there and tried to come back from the depths of addiction folks really should think before they type.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
everyone makes a decision to drink or do whatever the first time you do it, BEFORE you can get hooked, bad decisions have consequences

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do folks really think she wanted to live life as a drug addict and a drunk? Of those folks, who has had reason to try and quit drugs and alcohol? Until you've been there and tried to come back from the depths of addiction folks really should think before they type.

I think she did want to live as a drug addict. I could be wrong, but I think she genuinely enjoyed it. Not everyone wants to leave the depths of addiction. Some people are more than happy to be there. Especially when they are protected and supported by handlers who both supply them with drugs and clean up their vomit.

I understand that addiction can be a difficult thing. But not all drug users are addicts, and not all addicts want to get better.

-Rob

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone got mad at me today because I said this was a good lesson for young people. They accused me of celebrating her death, which I wasn't doing. My point is that instead of trying to scare kids with government propaganda, we should show them this and say, "if you live like this, you will die like that." Then they can go out and make whatever decisions they want for their lives because they will know the natural consequences of those decisions.

Amy Winehouse obviously didn't feel like she was "wasting" her life. She was living exactly the life she wanted to live. And it ended exactly the way everyone knew it would if she stayed on that path. Fine. That was her decision. And now we have another example we can point to when we explain the consequences of drug abuse to young people. I don't begrudge her her decisions. I hope she isn't somewhere regretting them. Take what you want and pay for it. She wanted to live hard. And so she died young.

And adults everywhere were unsurprised.

-Rob

Very sad, and also your words are very true. It is said that it is never to late to turn yourself around, but such is not the case if you don't make the move and the effort.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Failure is not losing; its not getting back up". Your own signature tells a lot, fireman00. Much of what you say is true, addiction can be a one way street. Very sad.............

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very sad, and also your words are very true. It is said that it is never to late to turn yourself around, but such is not the case if you don't make the move and the effort.

I agree with the sentiment. I think this news story shows that it clearly can be "too late" to turn yourself around. If you're reading this, there's still time to change the road you're on. If you're Amy Winehouse, there isn't.

-Rob

Latest Discussions