American Idol - 2007

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss American Idol this year. I've enjoyed some of the seasons in the past. Looks like there is going to be some interesting talent this year :) Any crowd favorites yet? I enjoyed the bearded "fidel" guy last night, and the guy w/ the funky little goattee :)

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit I watch it every year since season 2, last night I was suprised by old Fidel did not expect that voice or soul to come from him. How about Sundance?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss American Idol this year. I've enjoyed some of the seasons in the past. Looks like there is going to be some interesting talent this year :) Any crowd favorites yet? I enjoyed the bearded "fidel" guy last night, and the guy w/ the funky little goattee :)

I have to admit I watch it every year since season 2, last night I was suprised by old Fidel did not expect that voice or soul to come from him. How about Sundance?

I too am in agreement with both of the above named singers. Didn't know what to expect from the guy with the beard, but he was pretty good!! There was a blonde haired girl, I think her name was Danielle. She was pretty good also!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first few episodes of the try outs are pure entertainment. I just love it! :lfao:

I particularly loved "Red" from Seattle trying to sing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody!

TFF!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Red was awesome! I love American Idol in the first few weeks, but after the atrocious people are all weeded out, I lose interest and stop watching. I don't know why people think shrieking like they're trying to break wine glasses will get them through to the next round, but I'm glad some of them do :D

jim

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please don't bring up Red I am still having nightmares and I am now afraid to go to Seattle.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I particularly enjoy the first few episodes. After they weed people out it is simply not as interesting to me. (plus I am just to busy to watch it all the time = Teaching)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live just a few Miles from the Indian Brother Sister team on the Seattle episode. Usually birds just fly upside down over Post Falls.
Sean

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The blond last night who was in "boot camp"... Me and my wife were joking that her pants were about to fall off! I guess it was appealing enough to the judges though! LOL

Some talent last night though... If that overhyper girl w/ lots of energy would have not sang that second song, she probably would have gotten in.

Overall, it was pretty entertaining last night :) The first girl that was all crying about her dad, I somehow doubt her sincerity. There are lots of good actors in NYC.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only reason we have these sadistic humiliating "reality" shows is because we don't actually allow blood sports on television. The words that would describe my contempt for them would violate the TOS and probably melt the router.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The blond last night who was in "boot camp"... Me and my wife were joking that her pants were about to fall off! I guess it was appealing enough to the judges though! LOL

Some talent last night though... If that overhyper girl w/ lots of energy would have not sang that second song, she probably would have gotten in.

I thought that blond girl was terrible personally, but time will tell. Some of these folks get coaches right quick after they get to Hollywood and improve greatly. For that overhyper, crazy happy young lady, I immediately felt thought they were going to crush her hard. I just had a sense if they were showing her so bright and bubbly that they were setting up the opposite. She was crushed when she didn't get past the first round. I also thought the guy who quit last year who tried again last night was really good, surprisingly so. And, I did 75 pushups during the commercials :D (That's a lot for me, honestly)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with tellner somewhat. I don't watch "reality" shows much. I did however watch the NY AI when I was over a friends house. I thought some people were good, but those are the ones that got shot down. But then again, some were truely bad (I'm a musician, I can tell). I would have sent a couple of them who lost the first round on to the second round. A couple that went to the second round, I wouldn't have.

I would also like to kick Simon in the head (or whatever his name is). He's so rude. But then again, some of the singers were, too.

And what's with the "drama?" The crying and the ... well, ok. Getting shot down hurts, but we martial artist (at tournies) suck it up and go home (been there done that). No biggy. We try again later.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
i watched it a couple time after season 2 but this year I am watching it more. man they have been ruthless this season. telling that guy he looked like a monkey. but I still watch it

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey I with that girl who felt you could be the next American Idol and not have to sing if thats the case I could really...... be the next American Idol!

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah tonight they let alot of people go so yeah a bunch went to hollywood but only like 40 got picked for the next round. tears everywhere

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/15/tv.americanidol.ap/index.html

Down to 24 :) I'm suprised by alot of the decisions... I thought alot of the stronger singers got left off. I thought they said remembering lyrics was important? I think they let in at least 2 that forgot their lyrics... I was really suprised by the last decision for the guys. I thought Sundance was toast for sure...

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is the least impressive 24 of the past several years, there might be 1 girl that is appealing and a couple of guys that have potential. I was very dissappointed, I hope it gets better.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually use the opening rounds of American Idol as a tool for my Karate classes that I teach.

Basically, I tell my class that we should at least *try* to be as perfect as possible, and that it doesn't work like ordinary subjects (History, Math, etc). While an 85% is a good grade in such subjects, how would someone sound if he only sang 85% of the notes correctly in a song?

I then playback some of the footage from these opening rounds (the ones that Simon boots off with rude messages), and tell the class that a lot of these people are getting about 90% of the notes correct, but that the mere 10% error rate makes them sound absolutely horrible.

I then tell them to consider that the martial arts demands a similar level of perfection as music does.

I then cap it off by playing back some of the footage from Ashlee Simpson's God-awful performance as a finale, telling them that this is what 92% correct sounds like.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pseudo-Spoliers below...

The backup singer from Nashville singing Aretha Franklin's "Since You've Been Gone" did VERY well, so did the single mom from Flint , MI that sang Jennifer Hudson's "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" (sorry, I'm drawing a blank on their names)

I gotta say...those two ladies kicked some serious butt. They sounded great.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The guys were horrible, the girls on the other hand suprised me there were 5 or 6 really great performances.

Latest Discussions