am i over looking judo for real self defence?

jwmims

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i am been thinking of taking up classes at seibukan jujutsu school,there is a very well respected judo school very near me.
I have always though of judo as a sport.I have pretty good striking skills,would judo add alot to my self defence skills?I know judo is a sport,but could
you make it a little nasty in a street fight?how would you compare JJJ to judo in a down and dirty street fight?One big plus is the judo classes cost alot less.
thanks,
james

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is a sport, but it can be very effective in self-defense because the sport training insures you can make the techniques work. However, for self-defense concerns I'd suggest BJJ over it.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i am been thinking of taking up classes at seibukan jujutsu school,there is a very well respected judo school very near me.
I have always though of judo as a sport.I have pretty good striking skills,would judo add alot to my self defence skills?I know judo is a sport,but could
you make it a little nasty in a street fight?how would you compare JJJ to judo in a down and dirty street fight?One big plus is the judo classes cost alot less.
thanks,
james
To make judo nasty in a street fight, all you need to do is any judo throw on concrete. Unlike most martial arts, judo is taught and regularly practiced against a resisting opponent who is trying to throw you at the same time. Ju jutsu is generally taught with either a co-operative uke, or if they are resisting, are not attacking or countering at the same time. I am basing this observation on 30 years experience in ju jutsu, with seminar instruction from senseis from throughout North America, Europe and parts of Asia, as well as about 5 year s experience in judo.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the above. Studying BJJ puts less emphasis on the standing game but much more on the ground game, and both are important. It's practiced against resisting opponents too and is more likely to be taught in a context where empty-hands striking/defense for non-sport or at least MMA applications is discussed. For self-defense I would suggest BJJ over Judo but both are good.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judo is a strong system for self defense. Any throw on concrete, etc. is going to be brutal!

For someone without breakfalling experience: any throw would be brutal even on a mat.

The most impressive (and scary) martial artists I've ever worked out with is an age 70-something Korean grandmaster who specializes in Yudo.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not judoka but do some when I was a little boy, I have a high respect for judokas, judokas develop a strong body, good coordination and very good reflexes and if some judoka put his hands on me I will have a hard time trying to not be trown.

Any martial art like Karate, Judo and TKD for example that have a great emphazis in sport competition can be very efective on the streets, all depends in the main set and the abilities of the person.

Manny

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For someone without breakfalling experience: any throw would be brutal even on a mat.

The most impressive (and scary) martial artists I've ever worked out with is an age 70-something Korean grandmaster who specializes in Yudo.

However it will hurt a lot more if the thrower knows what they are doing. Good throws = head hitting concrete and not the body. So breakfalls really mean nothing if the other guy knows what he is doing. ;)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would suggest Judo if its Kodokan Judo over Bjj for the street. the BJJ i have seen is not what I would use on the street as it goes to the ground and stays there. ( that is a very unhealthy place to be on the street in a self defense situation!) judo goes to one knee usually and you can get up and move quickly if you need....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It does vary with BJJ. Where I took it we did a moderate amount of standing throws despite the emphasis on groundwork.

If you only studied one art I'd agree with Judo over BJJ for self-defense, but as an adjunct I'd recommend BJJ. The OP mentioned he had pretty good striking skills and so I'd see adding ground grappling as a better complement than standing grappling, given that each has some of the other.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
To make judo nasty in a street fight, all you need to do is any judo throw on concrete. Unlike most martial arts, judo is taught and regularly practiced against a resisting opponent who is trying to throw you at the same time. Ju jutsu is generally taught with either a co-operative uke, or if they are resisting, are not attacking or countering at the same time. I am basing this observation on 30 years experience in ju jutsu, with seminar instruction from senseis from throughout North America, Europe and parts of Asia, as well as about 5 year s experience in judo.

I agree. The one thing that sucks about practicing a striking art is that you have no idea if it will work. You can't send yourself or your classmates home with black eyes and less teeth every night. I mean, what would happen when you ran out of teeth? LOL But seriously, you can prove whether or not your judo works because if the guy is on the ground, then it means you threw him.

Then again, it IS a bit unrealistic to practice from a position where you both have your hands on each other already. In a street fight, someone might be coming at you from further out. So as long as the judo school has you practice entering and THEN getting your grip on someone, you'd be all set. (At the judo school I attended, I always saw people start off with their hands on the other person's gi already. It'd be more effective to start AT LEAST arm's length away, IMHO.)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To make judo nasty in a street fight, all you need to do is any judo throw on concrete.
Like this:

headhitground.png

Your throwing skill can last with you through your old age. Your striking skill may not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not much worse than being hit with a planet.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on how the judo is taught and trained. If you train it combatively, learning how to protect against strikes, get your grips, and throw safely, then it's an excellent self-defense art. If you only train for sport, then you are likely to get your head knocked off while you try to grab your opponent's lapels.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. The one thing that sucks about practicing a striking art is that you have no idea if it will work. You can't send yourself or your classmates home with black eyes and less teeth every night. I mean, what would happen when you ran out of teeth? LOL But seriously, you can prove whether or not your judo works because if the guy is on the ground, then it means you threw him.

Then again, it IS a bit unrealistic to practice from a position where you both have your hands on each other already. In a street fight, someone might be coming at you from further out. So as long as the judo school has you practice entering and THEN getting your grip on someone, you'd be all set. (At the judo school I attended, I always saw people start off with their hands on the other person's gi already. It'd be more effective to start AT LEAST arm's length away, IMHO.)

You could wear gloves and a mouth guard.

Judo is fine for self defence.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been hit full blast when my training partner and I thought it would be okay because we were wearing those things. It didn't help much. A blow to the head is still a blow to the head.

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
The specific martial art you pick is far less important than how the specific school you choose teaches it. That being said, if you are feeling confident about your stand up skills and want to learn ground fighting, That's what BJJ and Judo are for.

But the most "gritty" SD arts are probably Krav Maga, JKD, Systema and various types of Eskrima (Modern Arnis, Inosanto Kali...) and Silat (Perisai Diri, Seni Gayung Fatani...).

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Your points make sense to me.

Manny

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It depends on the style of jujutsu. BJJ has tons of sparring/randori with a resisting partner. Danzan Ryu includes sparring/randori. So does Shingitai Jujutsu. Plenty of other jujutsu styles do as well. The jujutsu styles which eschew sparring in favor of kata with a compliant uke are more likely to be the older historical systems.