Am I a horrible person for being a martial artist?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
ShotoSan said:
If you want to contact them, fill your boots. I will not say otherwise than this. Tsurouka taught me Shotokan at one point in my life. He was NOT my personal Sensei, Geroge Day was.

I was going to ask a few more questions. Looks like he left.

I might contact George Day anyway, just out of curiosity.

FWIW, the link he posted shows what appears to be a recent picture of Tsuruoka if you contrast it to pictures on his site.

Oh well!

Regards,

Steve

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
... and to think ... I wasted perfectly good words on that individual. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Yeah, same here!

Mike

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know teenagers...you can say the same thing over and over for years and one day, as a twenty something they realize what you were saying was ...true! TW

Ryan Nune

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi im a noob but i dont understand why every one are meanines he just wanted to say that he was good

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ryan Nune said:
Hi im a noob but i dont understand why every one are meanines he just wanted to say that he was good
Hi Ryan, welcome to Martial Talk.

Before condemning all of the contributors as "meanies", I'd like to encourage you to do some more reading, and try to get a real good feel for why this unfortunate young fellow received the responses that he did. The truth of the matter is that in an anonymous internet forum, people are judged not by who they are, but what they say. There are numerous folks on this board who have been involved in the arts long enough that they are able to discern the differences between honest and dishonest statements. When inconsistencies are uncovered, questions arise.

I wouldn't worry much about it, though. Martial Talk is for honest, frank, and friendly discussion of the arts. All who approach the discussion in an honest way are generally rewarded with an informative experience.

I have not a great deal of experience in the arts, but I must say that I have learned a great deal here. There is always more to be discovered. I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to engage in discussion with people of the level of experience that we have here, and am grateful that when they see things that don't fit, they call them out and uncover them. It protects inexperienced people like me from blindly believing things that are not entirely accurate.

Anyway, enjoy your stay, and happy posting, Ryan. Its nice to meet you.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Hi Ryan, welcome to Martial Talk.
I wouldn't worry much about it, though. Martial Talk is for honest, frank, and friendly discussion of the arts. All who approach the discussion in an honest way are generally rewarded with an informative experience.
I'll add further that because of the format of discussion groups it's nearly impossible to disconcern a (serious) post by it's intended tone. It's honest but there are tactful ways to express that honest opinion verbally to not cause ire and resentment via tonal inflections with the voice.
So reading something one has to project their idea of how the (poster) is coming across. Are they "in your face?" or are they calmly expressing difference of opinion in a level tone of voice? Hard to know for 100% certianty unless they say so before hand and lots of people don't. They just type what's on their mind and it's up to the reader to do the disconcernment of how that post is speaking to them.
If you're challenged on something you say here then first read between the lines and if it still ticks you off then the best method of course is to wait a day and reply.
I was very disappointed that this young man gotten a bad taste in his mouth for MT. It is a fine forum and nearly everyone here is willing to impart their knowledge freely. Not everyone here however; has the social and writing skills to express themselves in the manner of a peaceful discussion. That, takes time to learn. :asian:
Enjoy your stay and take everything you hear not as gospel truth but as truthful as it can be considering the circumstances. Look also at the poster's level of experience on the right hand side of their name, because that is one of the better indicators that the individual knows what they're talking about.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ryan Nune said:
Hi Ryan.

Without trying to read condescending or rude, please consider: as one matures, both in life and in art, if one should realize that one truly IS 'good,' one finds that one does not have to talk about it so.

I suppose each person's perception of 'good' varies somewhat. A popular belief amongst the martial artists I've met is that one is never good enough. Even the most talented, capable, the fastest, strongest, winningest artist is ALWAYS looking to improve - not strut around. If a person has a problem (as this young fellow admits he has) "not being cocky" about his/her abilities, this is really not what most people would condone as good behavior for a martial artist.

I would never allow someone like this to enter a dojang I ran and spar my students. I don't believe it's a good plan, in general, and I would be hard to convince otherwise.

A person's demeanor speaks volumes as to who they are. This young man clearly is not aware of the situation that is challenging him at the moment.

It is a pity he left rather than stay and learn.

These are the most valuable lessons in martial arts, in my opinion, those of character. It very well might not be his fault - perhaps he was taught incorrectly.

Then again, who really knows? Only he. And if his conscience weren't bothering him so, he would not have left in such a huff.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
... and to think ... I wasted perfectly good words on that individual. Ah well, c'est la vie.
I don't think they were wasted at all, Georgia. I'm glad you posted them, & I think they were very well articulated (as were most of the other posts). I was glad to read them, and who knows, maybe he printed your post & read it again? Maybe he will apply it? :idunno:

Even if he never comes back to MT, I can tell from reading the posts in this thread that he took all of the posts seriously and was beginning to understand how he "came across" to folks--and that he has more to learn. This may sound a bit naive, but by getting him to think about how he thinks of himself & how he relates to other people, you (and all of the people at MT with whom he corresponded) have changed him in some way, and IMHO, that made it worthwhile. :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin, you are kind. Thank you very much for the compliment. If anyone can learn from it, I am honored.

G

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good advice given honestly is never wasted, for by the act if giving you yourself are enriched. If the other does not understand or use your gift, that in no way diminishes your intent or heart.

:asian:

Latest Discussions