Aloha from Virginia

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have enjoyed and learned much from what I have read so far.

Jeff, thanks for the invitation. I have relatives in salem and Fincastle, so it could happen. Just let me get more training under my belt first!
Enjoying the converations and company!
That's great. I grew up in Fincastle (Blacksburg road actually) and our dojo is in Salem. When you come in to visit family come by and introduce yourself. I'm always happy to meet fellow martialtalk members. It sounds as if your system of study will have many elements that are similar to what I study. Keep us up to date on your training and check out the rest of the site here. There's tons of stuff to discuss.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Welcome from a displaced Virginia native (Norfolk).

I can still remember driving many times past the "Gordonsville - Palmyra" exit on 64 on my way to and from Charlottesville way back when I was in college. That's a beautiful part of the state.

Good luck in your training.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome from a displaced Virginia native (Norfolk).

I can still remember driving many times past the "Gordonsville - Palmyra" exit on 64 on my way to and from Charlottesville way back when I was in college. That's a beautiful part of the state.

Good luck in your training.
Everything west of Richmond is a beautiful part of the state. My wife and I spent the day in the woods today cutting wood and during breaks we'd just sit and listen to the sound of nature. Gorgeous I tell ya. I've put photos of the area on my myspace page. Link is at the bottom of my post.

Live True: Did you ever live here in the area? If you did, did you study any of the arts we have here? I couldn't believe the depth of arts that we have available in and around Roanoke when I was looking to leave my first school and found the art that I have now.

OP
Live True

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Live True: Did you ever live here in the area? If you did, did you study any of the arts we have here?

I have to agree with both of you, that is why we moved out here, away from Richmond. I grew up in Winchester, actually, so I feel most at home in the mountains, but with work in Richmond and C'ville...this is as close as I can reasonably get and still afford the gas. I love where I live, I can see all the stars at night, get to see amazing wildlife, and am less than 5 minutes from a river ramp (saving up to buy a kayak) and a local hiking reserve along the same river.

theletch1: While I was born in Hawaii, I grew up in Winchester, and my husband grew up in Covington. I spent a few years in Alabama, but came back to VA and went to college in Richmond....so you might say that my
real roots are in the beautiful mountains and hills of Virginia. I love it! But I have just discovered the wonderful world of MA. I am only a month old in the art of Uechi Ryu....but I see this as something I will do as long as my body will let me. I'm learning that there are more local resources than I could have imagined, and I can't wait to learn more about them all!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think Virginia has some of the most beautiful lands around....but that could just be my prejudice speaking:uhyeah:

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I grew up in Winchester, and my husband grew up in Covington...
Winchester... the home town of Patsy Cline. Born Virginia Hensley, btw. :)

This is really coincidental... I actually spent a little time in Covington, doing third-party work at the Westvaco mill... it's gorgeous up there.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think Virginia has some of the most beautiful lands around....but that could just be my prejudice speaking:uhyeah:
Well, I guess that makes three of us (so far) in this thread. As much as I love the mountains, having grown up about two blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, I really miss the Bay, and the Ocean too. I'm planning on moving back when I finally quit working for good.

Anyway, you're in a good style... I've seen some of the body conditioning stuff the Uechi-ryu guys do, and there's nothing soft about that. Good, traditional Karate.

OP
Live True

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to live within walking distance of the cemetary Patsy Cline was buried in. Winchester is a pretty cool little town (well, not quite so little now).

I love the beach to. If I had my druthers...I'd have a house in the mountains and a retreat at the ocean. The best of both worlds.

Thanks for the encouragement on the Uechi and the body conditioning. I've been reading some articles, and I'm impressed. We shall see!