All Non-Africans are Part Neanderthal - Genetics Confirm

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Based on a similar sized sample group, I have assessed that all modern day european descent men are in the military (4 guys sharing my office and one civilian female in the next cubicle). Is that good science or Bad Science(BS for short)?

However, using that same group I can definitely back up the claim regarding neanderthal ancestry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. Not so sure we can make that assertion with such certainty. Neanderthals fashioned spears as well, and the superiority of spear throwers like the atlatl didn't come about until about 15000-10000 B.C. Neanderthals didn't survive much past about 24000 years ago, so human weaponry wasn't really that superior.

We were probably, however, better endurance runners-which led to the community interconnectivity, as well as making us superior hunters. I'm not so sure that was "the" deciding factor as much as other, more human traits that we're all familiar with today, like our capacity for deception.

My recollection is that there was evidence that we tended to operate in larger immediate groups period, too - A Homo sapiens sapiens band likely tended to outnumber any Homo sapiens neanderthalensis it got into violent contact with by 2-4:1.

As for the sample size, there are two studies here:

An X-Linked Haplotype of Neandertal Origin Is Present Among All Non-African Populations

Our analysis of 6,092 X-chromosomes from all inhabited continents supports earlier contentions that a mosaic of lineages of different time depths and different geographic provenance could have contributed to the genetic constitution of modern humans.

(Emphasis added)

The 2010 study appears to have used the full genomes of 5 individuals to locate the areas where some subgroups of modern humans displayed better matches to Neandertal DNA than to other subgroups of modern humans. The 2011 study then looked at a very large number of these specific loci; exactly how it should be done, given the expense and time involved in a full genome comparison.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think prior to genetic research it was the consencus that the neanderthals went extinct, outmatched by a more successful subspecies of Homo Sapiens...or errectus, or whatever.

my mom just told me how they found a skeleton in some village, and tested all people there, and found out that the school teacher was a decsendent of the person who died there several thousand years ago.

(In redneck terms, that's what you get when the family tree doesn't fork)

:)

I find that immensly interesting (though I do have to wait for the TV special to come out), like the show they had a while back, when they followed the migration of mankind from the East African plains north, to the middle east, then followed the spit routes to Europe and more importantly across Asia to the Bering Straight and further on to the American continent.
They came to the conclusion (aside from being terribly lucky to be able to do this in a relatively short window of opportunity) that the American continents, from the Alaskan Inuit and Eskimos down to the people of Terra de Fuego descended from a group of maybe 24 people who made it over from Asia.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a pertinent and very interesting programme that is relevant to the topic in general:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0126hn6

[yt]DQKkcbH1ykY[/yt]

Not directly relevant but I can't resist adding a link to my favourite anthropologist, Dr. Alice Roberts:

[yt]9gkiX7m1m_c[/yt]

What can I say ... I've asked if I can have her for Christmas but my missus says no :(.

Last edited:

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
So apparently 10cc knew something ahead of their time, I think I'm going to go make Neanderthal love...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neanderthal's were a rival species of hominid prevelent throughout Europe that were gradually wiped out by competition with homo sapiens.

Here's a link to a good 'gateway' post that can help guide further investigation. It's just an 'opinion' post by someone but it touches the basics without muddying the waters too much.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Neanderthal's were a rival species of hominid prevelent throughout Europe that were gradually wiped out by competition with homo sapiens.

Here's a link to a good 'gateway' post that can help guide further investigation. It's just an 'opinion' post by someone but it touches the basics without muddying the waters too much.

Well apparently they did not get wiped out completely, more like assimilated....

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Considering the minute differences between the genomes of humans and the difficulty of sequencing, five might actually be a large sample size. Or at least large to the scientists.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering the minute differences between the genomes of humans and the difficulty of sequencing, five might actually be a large sample size. Or at least large to the scientists.

Again, they had 6,092 samples over all, not just five. The five were used to check what to look for, the 6100 for overall distribution.

Latest Discussions