AKKA - Shorinji Toraken Ryu Kempo ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know anything about this group. I note that the founder is a 50ish man, who goes by the title:

Dr. James R. Cherry
(Shodai / Soke)

and has 5 fifth degree black belts, 2 seventh degree black belts, as well as the tenth degree in his system. I also note this:

On March 18, 2000 Dr. Ron Cherry (Soke) Performed an Inheritor/Successorship ceremony, and handed the system and organization to Ray Ferrell (Kyoshi) making him the (Nidai Soke) or (present Head of Family) and 2nd generation Soke to the Toraken Ryu Arts.

This sends up a lot of warning signs. You might also ask at www.e-budo.com but I would tread cautiously.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Gassho.
This organisation has nothing to do with Shorinji Kempo, despite the similarity of names. Any westerner who calls himself "Soke", however, clearly doesn't understand the iemoto system. I'd red flag this immediately. Note also that his HQ is in America, not Japan, despite the "soke" appellation.
Kesshu.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have absolutely no clue. I don't speak Japanese. I practice AMERICAN kenpo, and we speak English in class.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by nightingale8472
I have absolutely no clue. I don't speak Japanese. I practice AMERICAN kenpo, and we speak English in class.
I practice Shorinji Kempo, and we use Japanese for all technical terms and instructions. Our headquarters is in Japan. Why do you use a Japanese name for an art that has no connections with Japan?
"American Kenpo"? That's like mixing Latin and German.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You still haven't answered my question about why his headquarters would have to be in Japan.

and its called American Kenpo because that's what Mr. Parker chose to call it. If you have an issue with that, perhaps you'll have the priveledge of meeting him in the afterlife, and you can ask him to explain.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

You still haven't answered my question about why his headquarters would have to be in Japan.

and its called American Kenpo because that's what Mr. Parker chose to call it. If you have an issue with that, perhaps you'll have the priveledge of meeting him in the afterlife, and you can ask him to explain.
Because if he's called "soke" it must be an iemoto system.
And there is no afterlife, so the point is moot, but I'd like to know why you name the art "kenpo", but not use any Japanese terms thereafter?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You still haven't told me the meaning of the word "soke". and a definition of the word "iemoto" would also be appreciated.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

You still haven't told me the meaning of the word "soke". and a definition of the word "iemoto" would also be appreciated.
Read this article for an explanation of both the iemoto system, and why the application of the word "soke" is inappropriate in many MA.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Read this article for an explanation of both the iemoto system, and why the application of the word "soke" is inappropriate in many MA.

IF! I understood that article, soke (or iemoto) mean the same thing, and is less of a title and more of a description for a group. (its late here so I'm forced to speed read)

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
IF! I understood that article, soke (or iemoto) mean the same thing, and is less of a title and more of a description for a group. (its late here so I'm forced to speed read)
It's a lineage of Japanese families, Kaith. Soke is the head of the family. It does NOT mean "founder", as so many people mistakenly think.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw that part, but the meaning seemed to change at time went on. I may have misread though. So, "Soke" is lineage, so basically what the folks misusing the term are saying is not Grandmaster Bob, but Family Tree Bob?

Ok, now I can go laugh at em. :)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmm...

I interpreted it as more of a patriarch. not the founder, but the one currently reigning over the family.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

I saw that part, but the meaning seemed to change at time went on. I may have misread though. So, "Soke" is lineage, so basically what the folks misusing the term are saying is not Grandmaster Bob, but Family Tree Bob?

Ok, now I can go laugh at em. :)
More than that; by definition, they must be Japanese. So Bob would have to be called "Bob-o". Kinda like "jell-o"...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
More than that; by definition, they must be Japanese. So Bob would have to be called "Bob-o". Kinda like "jell-o"...

I'm working on that....diet, exercize, getting hit in the head with sticks.... :)

Ok, so its a term only for use within a Japanese family system, and couldn't be used within a Chinese or Okinawan system? (Just clarifying)

OP
K

Kimpatsu

I'm working on that....diet, exercize, getting hit in the head with sticks.... :)

Ok, so its a term only for use within a Japanese family system, and couldn't be used within a Chinese or Okinawan system? (Just clarifying)
Okinawans speak Japanese, so that wouldn't be a problem. Not Chinese, though. They have their own terminology.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Searcher
Has anyone heard of this group? I would be interested in hearing experiences and opinions on here or through email.

Thanks.

This is the link to their main page.

http://www.torakendo.com/index2.htm
Searcher,
I do not know much about the group, but I have known one of the members for about 20 years. Master Robert Zingg is a good friend and a damned fine Martial Artist. If you get in touch with Master Zingg, you will get honest no Bull-Shido answers.

Latest Discussions