air vs contact training

C

chris...

Shizen Shigoku said:
I know what you mean though. Training with solo forms, one has to remain balanced at all times. This is exacerbated when practicing with large heavy weapons (think unloaded barbell for bo training).
Yeah, I use a brass rod sometimes

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just another thought, air vs contact training. Air for practicing forms, something that was taught to all past instructors and past on to us. Contact builds more muscle and teaches distance of your reach and you learn what impact is and can do.

To learn to fight like real is to train like real. How many of us can do this for hours and everyday. Our bodies are not design to take punishment like this.

The hardcore guys train as real as they can. Grapplers, Judo and those type of arts actully do the real thing to each other. Vs Karate styles, which punches in the air alot and do forms. 2-3 times a week and light contact sparring.

This past two years, I watch my son do High School wrestling and Judo. You are able to see the difference in the training and the results. My son has been training in Universal Kempo-Karate for eight years. In school the short training (hands on hands-actual grabing and throwing) he has learn taught him more than all those years punching air and bags. In High School they train 5 days a week for two or more hours and on the weekends are school tourments.

Try for yourself? contact fighting(put on gloves and head gear and go at it vs punching in the air.....You will know the difference........Aloha

When you get tired faster from contact than air...then you know why? We need to train as real as we can.

Air for breathing, Hit the bag! .....Aloha

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, the pros and cons of each can vary. However, given any training routine, perhaps one should not be without the other.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Each element trains a different skill.

Shadowboxing is great to develop your posture, structure and accuracy, but you will never develop significant power using this method alone. In fact, full power air striking is bad for your joints, so don't do it. Use shadowboxing to develop proper form and above all, visualize the opponent.

Partner work is so diverse that very few generalizations can be made. You want to escalate from static movements to improvised, hard contact training if possible. You also want a diverse range of body types and skills. What you learn will depend on what the other person brings. You might be partnered with a smaller, more timid person; that's the time to concentrate on form and sensitivity. With a bigger, more athletic guy, you want to work on timing, endurance, speed and the "hard" elements of training. You shouldn't neglect anything else, but you should rise to the challenge. One of the worst things you can do is blame the other person for using "too much strength" or similar garbage. Let them work on their end and you work on yours. You meet in the middle with technique, not words.

Oh, and make sure you have at least a mouth guard for any heavy contact training.

Work against targets for striking power, naturally, starting with static exercises (working a punch over and over again), and then up to what is really partner work with pads instead of a warm body to work with.

Contrary to what folks are often told, you should *always* rise to accept things that come up out of the normal order of training, such as sparring without "working up" into it with intermediary exercises. You should put yourself in situations where you don't feel prepared and which break your normal routine. The only situations that are exceptions is where you are worried a known physical limitation will create a problem. Don't try something where you'd probably hurt yourself, but do try something where the risk of injury is slight, but your level of mental preparedness is low.

For the last, I'll give you examples of a good challenge and a bad challenge:

Good: At an aikijujutsu class, a BB asked if I wanted to work striking combinations with him. I said yes and was nicely schooled by him, but tward the end I rose to the occasion. I trusted him not to seriously injure me (and if you don't have that level of trust in a club, leave!).

Bad: At a karate school, I was asked to squat under kicks thrown by my partner. My partner was 8" shorter than me and could only kick to waist height. I asked to modify the exercise, s it was obviously impossible for me to do this with proper form. The brown running training shouted at me. I did it anyway. I missed 2 days of work because having to squat and then bend my back since squatting below 90 degrees wasn't good enough.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I dont know about the good or bad challenge. It is either partner or non-partner workouts. It is ideally to train in both

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Well, I dont know about the good or bad challenge. It is either partner or non-partner workouts. It is ideally to train in both
Sure. I was talking about a subset of that. Some partner work is unnecessarily intimidating for people, and folks shoild rise up to it and consider their fear a part of training. Others are just bad for your body (what I mentioned) or involve prerequisite skills you don't have (taking very hard falls without significant breakfall training).

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
Sure. I was talking about a subset of that. Some partner work is unnecessarily intimidating for people, and folks shoild rise up to it and consider their fear a part of training. Others are just bad for your body (what I mentioned) or involve prerequisite skills you don't have (taking very hard falls without significant breakfall training).
Hmmmn, I had nevered considered a fear of training. At least not in class. Although we had for decades, used "field" reality drills. You can observe the "anxiety" of the non-suspecting participants.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
Contrary to what folks are often told, you should *always* rise to accept things that come up out of the normal order of training, such as sparring without "working up" into it with intermediary exercises. You should put yourself in situations where you don't feel prepared and which break your normal routine. The only situations that are exceptions is where you are worried a known physical limitation will create a problem. Don't try something where you'd probably hurt yourself, but do try something where the risk of injury is slight, but your level of mental preparedness is low.
That is precisely why I never stretch and "warm up" before I train. I change from my street clothes and get on the mat and I am ready to train. Warming up (stretching and stuff) should be a part of your normal day to day routines just as taking a shower or brushing your teeth, that way you are "always ready".

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
That is precisely why I never stretch and "warm up" before I train. I change from my street clothes and get on the mat and I am ready to train. Warming up (stretching and stuff) should be a part of your normal day to day routines just as taking a shower or brushing your teeth, that way you are "always ready".
Speaking f street clothes, we train in those on ocassion,.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
digitalronin said:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using pads or partners vs. the noncontact method of training?
I've always thought that non contact anything isn't much good for much at all. You cant generate any speed or power without the risk of hyper-extention to the joint. With the pad or partner method your getting resistance to the strike and feedback to know that you can generate power. In my experience air doesnt hit back. Pads will also toughen up hands, shins, feet, head whatever, conditioning is something that will never happen without feedback training. :whip:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
digitalronin said:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using pads or partners vs. the noncontact method of training?
The two are not mutually exclusive. Pads can be bought or made. Partners can be found, or bribed. LOL. I think you need both. Non-contact training allows you to concentrate on form, contact on application.