Aikido vs. suspect seated in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
An interesting scenario came up while I was doing some law enforcement training this past week. Specifically, a fellow student asked the instructor how he would get a non-compliant suspect out of a vehicle. The instructor, who specializes in firearms, not hand-to-hand, suggested an armbar, and I chimed in the nikkyo might be effective for pain compliance. A classmate immediately shot that down, saying that he would uppercut someone who tried it on him.

Issues of power-generation for the seated person aside (if I'm not mistaken, you can't really generate power with your lower body for a strike if you're seated in a driver's seat), does anyone have any training or experience in using Aikido in this scenario? We did a practice run, and I found it extremely difficult because our usual footwork is severely limited by the presence of the car.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interesting scenario came up while I was doing some law enforcement training this past week. Specifically, a fellow student asked the instructor how he would get a non-compliant suspect out of a vehicle. The instructor, who specializes in firearms, not hand-to-hand, suggested an armbar, and I chimed in the nikkyo might be effective for pain compliance. A classmate immediately shot that down, saying that he would uppercut someone who tried it on him.

Issues of power-generation for the seated person aside (if I'm not mistaken, you can't really generate power with your lower body for a strike if you're seated in a driver's seat), does anyone have any training or experience in using Aikido in this scenario? We did a practice run, and I found it extremely difficult because our usual footwork is severely limited by the presence of the car.
Unfortunately none of my old training partners who might have experience with this are current training partners. I'll try to reach out to a couple of them if I can find their contact info.

My thought off the top of my head is that it's pretty situational. I'm not wild about how nikkyo ties up both hands (if you release either, you lose control). If it showed up like a gift, sure, use it.

I think the larger shoulder movement (their shoulder) that shows up in the middle of ikkyo is a better starting point for removing them. I don't know if the wrist control is considered part of ikkyo (different aiki system), but I'd include it if you can get to the hand. That'd be the starting point for my experimentation, if it was me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you put that in context of the car removal? This looks like a finish after they've been taken down, regardless of where they started.

I was going to do a video but was too knackered.

Basically push the near arm away from you Secure the arm in the gift wrap and then just tip them out the car.

There are tricks and traps for getting the far arm as well. (Which hopefully i can pull that arm towards me as they reach to defend the gift wrap.)Which would be nice if you can do it.

downloadfile.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to do a video but was too knackered.

Basically push the near arm away from you Secure the arm in the gift wrap and then just tip them out the car.

There are tricks and traps for getting the far arm as well. (Which hopefully i can pull that arm towards me as they reach to defend the gift wrap.)Which would be nice if you can do it.

View attachment 22381
If you get a chance to make that video, I'd be interested in seeing it. I'm having trouble picturing the transition (probably just different terminology leading me astray).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

getting someone out of a car, that clinging on to the steering wheel, is extremely difficult, your going to have to break the grip on at least one of the hands, which then becomes a test of strength, best solution take the keys out, and hand cuff him to the wheel, then let nature take its course or spray him and shut the door or as your class mate said, punch him till he raises a hand in defence

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The car was a lot easier because I could smoosh him in to the back seat. Where I was sort of holding him up doing it on the weight bench.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The car was a lot easier because I could smoosh him in to the back seat. Where I was sort of holding him up doing it on the weight bench.
Thanks - that makes more sense than what I was trying to picture. I like the immediate control of the same-side arm.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
think ththe could be easily defeated if he held his hand over the seat belt catch ?

Possibly.

The best thing for me is if he goes to fight me off because his hand comes across.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There’s a nifty way to get them out with a wooden baton. Fast, too.

I’ll try to take some pics later when somebody else is around.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not to be ironic, but try it again whilst he actively resist you by clinging to the steering wheel

I didn't want to break the guy or the car.

That near hand where I am putting my whole body in to leveraging the front arm off the wheel feels pretty solid.

If I can get the far arm straight. (And I struggled a bit) I can apply an arm bar by pulling the elbow. So if he is hanging on with that far arm. I can start reefing that straight arm bar until he lets go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions