Aikido vs anything?

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never took Aikido, so I have no bias or even an opinion on it. Though I do take a Japanese jujitsu style.

Heres a vid of someone perform aikido in a sparring-like manner. Yes, it looks sloppy, but he does do some good takedowns, especially considering he can get a hold of the hand for a wrist lock or finger lock.

I wouldnt be suprised if hes gotten better now, since this appears to have been a trial period to test his training.

Last edited by a moderator:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Repz. Good video. Of course it looks sloppy... it's aikido in real time action against unchoreographed attacks. ;) Aikido isn't going to look super flowing and perfect outside of the dojo. It doesn't have to, it just needs to be effective. I applaud the guys in the video for taking their training outside of the too often pre-arranged attacks so that it all flows gently and easily.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Repz. Good video. Of course it looks sloppy... it's aikido in real time action against unchoreographed attacks. ;) Aikido isn't going to look super flowing and perfect outside of the dojo. It doesn't have to, it just needs to be effective. I applaud the guys in the video for taking their training outside of the too often pre-arranged attacks so that it all flows gently and easily.

I know, I take japanese jujitsu, and I free spar sometimes and it looks funky, but gets the job done. I just mentioned that in case of any criticisms.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score

Heres of Aikido vs Tkd, he almost had a wrist lock on him but the glove stopped it. Aikido did good though.

Not really posting this to add to vs war battles, just showing that in the hands of someone capable they can use it in a fight. Since this post seems to have fallen into a Aikido not being effective post.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that aikido without atemi is a bit like a pie without sauce!
icon7.gif

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Aikido for a bit over 38 years now, as well as Kendo, Tang Soo Do, Hapkido (all for 25-38 years), and Judo for a bit over 40 years. I have gotten into about 5 "fights" over the past 35 years, and each time I fall back to Aikido each time. It has been VERY effective in "real life" fights. And the fights ended very quickly. (And the first few fights I couldn't get out of and had to fight were before I got to Black Belt level of training...)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under estimating is the first step in finding ourselves in situations that could be harmful to our health. No one really knows until the crap hits the fan, and at that point in time anything is better then nothing. If you think there are no strikes in Aikido, you are dreaming.

NW_Tengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Aikido for a bit over 38 years now, as well as Kendo, Tang Soo Do, Hapkido (all for 25-38 years), and Judo for a bit over 40 years. I have gotten into about 5 "fights" over the past 35 years, and each time I fall back to Aikido each time. It has been VERY effective in "real life" fights. And the fights ended very quickly. (And the first few fights I couldn't get out of and had to fight were before I got to Black Belt level of training...)

Mr Bell, I can understand the differentation between some of your arts, but out of curiosity, in your opinion, what makes what you fall back on "Aikido" vs. "Hapkido"?

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mr Bell, I can understand the differentation between some of your arts, but out of curiosity, in your opinion, what makes what you fall back on "Aikido" vs. "Hapkido"?

Most of the fights came before I studied Hapkido. But that said, Hapkido and Aikido, minus the kicks and stances are pretty close in form.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
the fact is you cant catch punches or what not ect its a beautiful art but martial its not.

If a Shotokan-ka may be so bold and stick her head in an aikido thread in an aikido forum for a minute :p

Old thread but I had to reply cause its funny....

I don't do aikido but I talked to an aikido sensei I 'met' on another forum and I sometimes observe the aikido club training in their dojo where i live in Newfoundland. so i know some about aikido. This is the funniest post I have read in a while. Aikido doesn't work because you 'can't catch punches?' Wut..... I am not even sure you know much at all about Aikido. Because if you did, you'd know the purpose and aim of aikido is that you don't stop the attacker like we karate-kas do....he punch and we block, not often redirect, though there is some of that. Instead, with aikido, you absorb the energy of the attacker, use his lifeforce against him, and redirect the attack. That is why Aikido-kas fall down a lot =] well partially. lol.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blade, you're welcome to poke your head into the aikido forum any time you've something to add. You are completely correct that there is no punch "catching" in aikido. I'd go so far to say that there is no punch catching in any art, rather punch blocking. No one I've ever met is fast enough to actually catch a punch in the true sense. You are also correct in pointing out that we redirect the energy of the punch in such a way as to cause the attacker to seem to throw himself rather than us forcing him to fall. We DO fall down a lot. Most of the time that's from the defensive technique of our fellow aikido-ka... sometimes it's from the Guinness. ;)

Z-Man

White Belt
Reaction score
This is an interesting aikido video link.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blade, you're welcome to poke your head into the aikido forum any time you've something to add. You are completely correct that there is no punch "catching" in aikido. I'd go so far to say that there is no punch catching in any art, rather punch blocking. No one I've ever met is fast enough to actually catch a punch in the true sense. You are also correct in pointing out that we redirect the energy of the punch in such a way as to cause the attacker to seem to throw himself rather than us forcing him to fall. We DO fall down a lot. Most of the time that's from the defensive technique of our fellow aikido-ka... sometimes it's from the Guinness. ;)

Thanks

btw who actually catches a punch literally? :p

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks

btw who actually catches a punch literally? :p
Most of the guys that claim they can teach you to DEVASTATE AND DESTROY ANY OPPONENT in one 60 minute cd and usually have LT. or Capt or Count in front of their names (usually a single letter for secrecy don't you know) will also claim they can catch a punch in mid-air. ;)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the guys that claim they can teach you to DEVASTATE AND DESTROY ANY OPPONENT in one 60 minute cd and usually have LT. or Capt or Count in front of their names (usually a single letter for secrecy don't you know) will also claim they can catch a punch in mid-air. ;)

That's when i'll come in and respectfully say, about those guys and their 60 mins and cd's,

Horseradish. :angel: