Aikido vs anything?

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you understand there is a difference between Fighting, sport application (sparring) and self defense?

Fighting is willingly doing more violence to someone before they can do it to you, Sport is trying to best someone using a predetermined set of techniques and rules, Self defense is simply getting away from danger.
correct me if im wrong but theres not really any techniques in aikido that are illegal in say mma rules sparring. if its good enough for you to practice dealing with slow attacks you know are coming and know whats coming then a mma rules or boxing or kick boxing or anything else type of sparring is going to be alot more realistic and closer to a real fight then the dance that you learn in aikido. i mean really have you never asked yourself these questions?

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong but theres not really any techniques in aikido that are illegal in say mma rules sparring. if its good enough for you to practice dealing with slow attacks you know are coming and know whats coming then a mma rules or boxing or kick boxing or anything else type of sparring is going to be alot more realistic and closer to a real fight then the dance that you learn in aikido. i mean really have you never asked yourself these questions?

So are you Now saying that Aikido isn't good for sport applications? ( which is different from Self Defense and different from not working at all - your two other tacks)

I'll ask again - You do realize that a "fight" is different from self defense?

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So are you Now saying that Aikido isn't good for sport applications? ( which is different from Self Defense and different from not working at all - your two other tacks)

I'll ask again - You do realize that a "fight" is different from self defense?
what im saying like the lad who started the thread is i want to see aikido put under pressure with full contact strikes grabs ect call it what you want a force on force drill sparring whatever, not a pre determined slow and paused strikes that the aikido person dosnt know exactly whats coming. lets hope if you ever do get into a self defence situation your attack dosnt do anything like kicks punches elbows knee's or any other technique that could be mistaken for something that could be used in sparring.
i want to see this done when you dont know he's going to throw a full power hook hook

Last edited by a moderator:

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a Aikido "Black Belt" you didn't engage in Randori - "free practice" ? Most organizations start randori in the kyu ranks.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there has been some very good responses so far. :asian: Although I am surprised we haven't seen theletch pop up yet. ;)

My sensei and another one of our blackbelts are both cops and I know they've used Aikido (yes, even the joint locks) in the "real world". I'm in a situation where I've had to use Aikido on a mentally ill person who went beserk, and I used it to control them without causing injury until he calmed down enough to be "normal" again.

I think Aikido is great for defense when trained properly. But sadly, there are many Aikido dojos that don't use strikes or practice with ANY resistance. They're the ones that I think would get a "rude awakening". In my dojo we practice strikes, randori, and we spar.

That being said, if a friend asked me that they needed to learn effective self defense quickly, I wouldn't point them towards Aikido. Aikido takes a long time to learn (especially if it's your first martial art) as there are so many tiny details, and even longer to know when, how, and on whom to use which techniques on. When I was a beginner, I thought once I "learned" a technique I could use it on anyone and anytime. Now that I've been in it longer, I realized that certain techniques work better with some body types than others. For example, there's a BIG guy in my dojo and when he comes at me and strikes Shomenuchi with a lot of force, it's much easier and more practical (for me) moving offline and going into an Irimi (or another technique like kotegaieshi) than a Ikkyo (omote, especially). Sure there are people who can "make" a technique work, but there's a difference between flowing into a technique or being a bull-in-a-china-shop and trying to force something that isn't there from the beginning. That also goes leads into the whole concept of not "planning" a certain technique, but going into the most appropriate technique for "whatever" the attacker gives you!

Robyn :asian:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes aikido does take a long time to be useful, but once you understand it it is a very good way to protect one's self.

Chav buster, you simply do not understand the principle's of aiki and based on your comments I doubt you were at black belt level, which even if you were, is not a high rank.

You offer up no real evidence to suggest that aiki movements wouldn't work so unless you come up with some I suggest you stop talking about the subject until you have some real information.

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ok well gross motor skills will generally beat fine motor skills thats just a fact. now why dont you give me some evidence say full contact randori of say a fine motor skill aikido working against a gross motor still say a hook.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yokomen Ikkyo/NiKyo/Sankyo Omote - Compare to Tony Blauer's Spear

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gokyo works very well against a hook. As does rokyo or any aiki technique.

If the technique starts to fail use the principle of mushin and switch to a different technique that fits the situation.

The gorss motor skills involved are move, hit, turn. Those are essential to aikido, aiki jujutsu and aiki ninjutsu.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what im saying like the lad who started the thread is i want to see aikido put under pressure with full contact strikes grabs ect call it what you want a force on force drill sparring whatever, not a pre determined slow and paused strikes that the aikido person dosnt know exactly whats coming. lets hope if you ever do get into a self defence situation your attack dosnt do anything like kicks punches elbows knee's or any other technique that could be mistaken for something that could be used in sparring.
i want to see this done when you dont know he's going to throw a full power hook hook

I guess that depends on how you practice, I can speak only for where I train, and full speed and power attacks are the norm for anyone above about 3rd kyu. These include hooks, kicks, backhands, uppercuts, grabs and grappling tecniques, etc. we call them self defense lines, and the defender has no idea what's coming. You've already been told that people have used aikido on the streets successfully, but if it makes you feel better, you go on insisting that because you can't do it, it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, Opal!! Thanks for thinking of me. I haven't popped up for a couple of reasons. 1) I've been getting things ready to go back to college (yes, at my age) ;) and 2) I've seen tro- er... folks like this in this forum for as long as the aikido forum has been active. Aikido is one of those arts that you must study with an eye toward using the philosophy of the art more so than the individual techniques of the art. By that I mean entering, taking control of the energy, redirecting it and finishing the technique. It doesn't mean "Ok, he threw a jab so I have to do technique what ever." When understood at its' depth aikido philosophy will end the fight before it ever moves to physical technique by following the basics on a psychological level... enter, assume control of the energy flow, redirect the hostility away from its' intended target, finish the altercation without injury to anyone. This is, of course, the ideal and not always the actuality.

Having said that I'll excuse myself from this conversation as I grow tired of repeating myself to every half wit that didn't have the self discipline to actually study the art with a mind toward training the mind and spirit as well as the body... arguing with walls isn't conducive to harmony, ya know. ;)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

actually wrist locks are prohibited in mma, which is a pretty good portion of aikido's arsenal. i have no aikido training, but i pull off wrist locks during sparring pretty regularly.

jf

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since it is based off of a lot of the Samurai arts, someone better go back in time and tell them they doing things wrong on the battlefield.

Comes down to training. Train me in any art two nights weeks and then put me against a person who trains 8 hours a day. I will have the same chances. My options are run or kick them in the balls. Just my opinion from my level of training.

-Gary

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a Aikido "Black Belt" you didn't engage in Randori - "free practice" ? Most organizations start randori in the kyu ranks.
What might confuse some is that randori is normally performed with multiple attackers attacking one after the other, not simultaneously. In the early stages of your training the attacks may be predetermined, slow and are usually telegraphed. The video here shows what I think is good randori in that Nage is always moving towards Uke, not holding back waiting for the attack. This example is performed at better speed, but even so it is just a training tool, not an example of what Aikido can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8DJWKI28c&feature=related

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
actually wrist locks are prohibited in mma, which is a pretty good portion of aikido's arsenal. i have no aikido training, but i pull off wrist locks during sparring pretty regularly.

jf
wrist locks are legal in mma, i actuelly won a fight using one from a failed omoplata there just near impissible to do because of the gloves and wraps.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
just double checked & you are correct. i thought it fell under small joint manipulation. cograts on your win.

jf

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
just double checked & you are correct. i thought it fell under small joint manipulation. cograts on your win.

jf
thanks, i can never pull of omoplatas anyway so its the first thing i go for or i will over hook the leg roll them over the top of me and take the side mount.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What might confuse some is that randori is normally performed with multiple attackers attacking one after the other, not simultaneously.

At first, yes, but training progresses to multiple attackers trying to beat the crap out of you together as a team.

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not an akido user/student but I know many that are. Am I right in thinking that akido was a self defence art that was meant to not harm you or the attacker? If so than why would you ever use it in an MMA type fight were your goal is to knock out or pin your attacker? That sounds like a ball room dancer trying to break dance

Latest Discussions