Aikido in the MMA ring?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did not get to reply in the other thread and have not had my concern put to rest.. so yea, I do Aikido for a while, I do not practice other arts or mix it up, I am a one art gal so just Aikido.. In a self-inflicted internet hypothetical-type nightmare I agree to get in the ring against a MMA fighter male or female does not matter seasoned for the same duration in their training as me in mine. For the sake of arguments or by the laws of Newton or perhaps the gods of luck and fate which decree: "87.3% of fights go to the ground", I am undone by my lack of ability under my opponents guard or mount or inferior in strength and take a beating and am damaged sufficiently that I need to learn some lessons, yes? I am not certain exactly what lesson it is I have been taught or what action I ought to take??

Can some one explain in *simple* terms?

Like if the implication is that MMA beats Aikido, that is peachy whatever.. is maybe not relevant to me? I do not work in the Aikikai PR dept nor make my money from a Roly Poly AIki video channel so I have no stake. I have seen Aikidoka hammered in an MMA ring.. I do not understand wtf they are doing there or trying to prove and what is the lesson to be taken from their actual asskicking or from my imagined one??

Like to hear your thoughts.. x

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been promoting fights for over 17 years, we have been training fighters for slightly longer but I have yet to see any 'single' style fighter come into an MMA fight. MMA is what it says it is MIXED martial arts. These days there is simply no place for a fighter who has just one style , sure the early UFCs had gimmick fights but that's not MMA.

Last edited:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering the philosophy behind Aikido I wonder why someone simply trained in Aikido would get into a MMA match.
As for might be needed much of Aikido is for those on their knees or standing, but can you use the same movements while on your back? If not how do these moves need to be used to redirect or control someone on top of you.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've been promoting fights for over 17 years, we have been training fighters for slightly longer but I have yet to see any 'single' style fighter come into an MMA fight. MMA is what it says it is MIXED martial arts. These days there is simply no place for a fighter who has just one style , sure the early UFCs had gimmick fights but that's not MMA.

While they're certainly not single style, you do have people who have spent the majority of their lives training in a particular discipline. For example Damian Maia, Ryan Hall, Gary Tonnen, and Kron Gracie have spent the majority of their time practicing Bjj for example. Loyoto Machida has spent the majority of his life practicing his family's style of Karate.

Where are the MMA fighters who have spent the majority of their time practicing Aikido?

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Considering the philosophy behind Aikido I wonder why someone simply trained in Aikido would get into a MMA match.
As for might be needed much of Aikido is for those on their knees or standing, but can you use the same movements while on your back? If not how do these moves need to be used to redirect or control someone on top of you.

This ^^^^^

Here's an interesting video of Roy Dean using a kotegaeshi takedown into a sankyo lock, but then applying it in a BJJ fashion. Cool….

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did not get to reply in the other thread and have not had my concern put to rest.. so yea, I do Aikido for a while, I do not practice other arts or mix it up, I am a one art gal so just Aikido.. In a self-inflicted internet hypothetical-type nightmare I agree to get in the ring against a MMA fighter male or female does not matter seasoned for the same duration in their training as me in mine. For the sake of arguments or by the laws of Newton or perhaps the gods of luck and fate which decree: "87.3% of fights go to the ground", I am undone by my lack of ability under my opponents guard or mount or inferior in strength and take a beating and am damaged sufficiently that I need to learn some lessons, yes? I am not certain exactly what lesson it is I have been taught or what action I ought to take??

Like if the implication is that MMA beats Aikido, that is peachy whatever.. is maybe not relevant to me? I do not work in the Aikikai PR dept nor make my money from a Roly Poly AIki video channel so I have no stake. I have seen Aikidoka hammered in an MMA ring.. I do not understand wtf they are doing there or trying to prove and what is the lesson to be taken from their actual asskicking or from my imagined one??

Here you go, in simple terms;

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here you go, in simple terms;

The mistake being made here is the assumption that anyone practicing Aikido even cares about Bas Rutten. Most, in fact, I would say the overwhelming majority of Aikidoka I know DON'T watch, nor do they care one bit about the UFC or MMA. It's not something they are into at all.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The mistake being made here is the assumption that anyone practicing Aikido even cares about Bas Rutten. Most, in fact, I would say the overwhelming majority of Aikidoka I know DON'T watch, nor do they care one bit about the UFC or MMA. It's not something they are into at all.

Except the question was about Aikido in MMA, and how it would perform in a MMA environment. Bas' viewpoint as a veteran MMA fighter, and as a legend in the sport is important here.

The mistake being made here is the assumption that MMA fighters hate Aikido just for the sake of hating it. The truth is that MMA fighters utilize what works in the cage, and if it doesn't work, they don't take it seriously.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The lesson learned is it is not what you think will happen in a fight that matters. It is what actually happens that means anything.

So perception as Bas puts it is the key here. You need to take the lessons learned from fighting and apply it to your training. Not the lessons learned from training applied to fighting.

So if you were actually in our gym with the argument that akido works. We would get you to jump in the cage and make it work.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I don't think you gain or lose much. I also don't think aikido or MMA would gain or lose much. It would be pointless.

I do think there is a lot of value for you individually to train with people from other arts... At least, if you are interested in training for fertile fighting skills. You don't have to train bjj, for example, but if you really want to ensure that your skills are well honed, you might want to train your aikido with people who are experienced with bjj.

Would go in reverse, as well. Getting people from various styles together to workout and share knowledge is a good thing, IMO.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except the question was about Aikido in MMA, and how it would perform in a MMA environment. Bas' viewpoint as a veteran MMA fighter, and as a legend in the sport is important here.

The mistake being made here is the assumption that MMA fighters hate Aikido just for the sake of hating it. The truth is that MMA fighters utilize what works in the cage, and if it doesn't work, they don't take it seriously.
The topic actually isn't how aikido would fare in MMA. The question was about what value competing in MMA would have for Jenna. Very different.

I don't think entering MMA would be very useful at all for Jenna, but I do think some healthy competition, whether formal or informal, is vital to developing reliable skills.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The topic actually isn't how aikido would fare in MMA. The question was about what value competing in MMA would have for Jenna. Very different.

I don't think entering MMA would be very useful at all for Jenna, but I do think some healthy competition, whether formal or informal, is vital to developing reliable skills.

I read it as how would her Aikido be helpful if she chose to compete in MMA.

Either way, the basic reality is that Aikido wouldn't serve her as well in MMA as some other disciplines would.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Mma does give more scope for exploration.

Just because there is more going on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so how many years of Aikido did he train to make that judgement?

And this is what jenna would gain from mma.
We can wax lyrical about whether bas understands enough about akido to judge its usefullness or you could just find bas and akido him
Otherwise you would be committed to learning akido for ten years. Which seems like the long way to go about the issue.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this is what jenna would gain from mma.
We can wax lyrical about whether bas understands enough about akido to judge its usefullness or you could just find bas and akido him
Otherwise you would be committed to learning akido for ten years. Which seems like the long way to go about the issue.

Ask Bas. I'm sure he'd love to discuss how he reached that conclusion.

Well I dont know Bas so Im not sure Ill be discussing anything with him. However if all he knows about Aikido is the have wrist locks well he may not be an exeprt on the topic

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I dont know Bas so Im not sure Ill be discussing anything with him. However if all he knows about Aikido is the have wrist locks well he may not be an exeprt on the topic

I think the whole point of this thread is there is not a mma akido expert that exists.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least he took the time to learn before passing judgement

Latest Discussions