aikido cross trainers

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Ok, I see where you are coming from. To get the deepest understanding, one may practice an art, that may be strictly for that area. The thing I liked when UFC first started, was that almost everyone had a pure style. then BJJ dominated, and everyone started cross training. I understand that most martial arts are not complete in certain areas, but that does'nt mean they are not complete systems. they would not be around if they were incomplete. they were designed for a purpose, and if people still practice them, they serve their purpose. thats all I'm saying. to understand everything, I guess it would be best to study anything offered to you. I study (primarly) Classical Japanese jujutsu. but on top of that, I understand it may not be best for today. however, it has taught me a lot when it comes to body movement, geometry, and physical application of technique. I always say this, but ring sports and street fights, while differerent, have one thing in common, once they start, there is no time for fancy technique, for all martial arts convert back to the basics of the system. simple as that. As Fumio Demura says, If you have good basics, you will succeed in anything you do. I dont cross train in order to be "complete", I simply study other arts to see what they have to offer. you know, for fun.

Just to clairfy....every style is, IMO, complete in its own right. That being said, I dont mean to knock any style, but its just important to recognize the limits of each style.

As for the UFC...yes, in the first few, all of the fighters were 1 style fighters. It was not until later that many of the stand up guys realized that if they didnt understand the ground, they would never stand a chance. I'm sure if UFC 1, none of the stand up guys ever dreamed that they'd be defeated on the ground.

As for studying anything offered....absolutely!! Why not do it?? While we all share different reasons for training, and I can only speak for myself here, but seeing that there is so much out there, why not take a sample?? Again, I may never be a boxer on the level of a Mike Tyson, but if I could spend time with a boxer, even if we just worked on 1 punch, and then I trained those ideas every day, faithfully, look at how much my punching skill just went up!

As for fancy things....Again, I only speak for myself but I prefer things that are simple, quick, easy to learn, and to the point!!!

Mike

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well i am definitely for cross training, not so much that i want to be a ufc fighter, but there are alot of intereting things out there, and some styles really specialize. I just try not to get in over my head, or get involved in things that are redundant. I dont belive you have to study 2 or 3 things to be a great or good martial artist but if you have the time, energy and desire go for it. THeres just no short cuts.

T

TCJitsu

In December of 98, Royce lost to Wallid Ismail by rear naked choke. Ismail is pure Jujutsu.
Royce lost to Wallid via the Okuri Jime (circle choke) or what the Brazillians call the clock choke which is done with the jacket. The rear naked or hadaka jime is a choke done with the arms figure-foured around the neck, you do not need the jacket. Ismail is not pure Jujitsu, he cross trains in boxing and muay thai.

Latest Discussions