Aikido and Aikibujutsu in Shinkendo

Scout

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I had a question about the two. Currently I'm in Afghanistan so it's difficult for me to give the dojo a call to talk to them so I thought I would pick your brains, but when I return to the states, Los Angeles, I'm really looking into Shinkendo, among others. On the Honbu site they mention Aikibujutsu and Aikido. Is there a difference, or is it just another name? If there is a difference what are they? Also, what school does the Shinkendo sword come from? Thanks everyone !!

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi scout obata who created shinkendo studied a lot of different
sword arts and created shinkendo. Obata also studied Aikido from gozo shioda. Obata I dont think
Studied daito ryu so his concept of aiki comes from Aikido.

OP
S

Scout

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi scout obata who created shinkendo studied a lot of different
sword arts and created shinkendo. Obata also studied Aikido from gozo shioda. Obata I dont think
Studied daito ryu so his concept of aiki comes from Aikido.
Okay, so there's no way to really "pin point" the sword techniques.

Kennesten

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Scout. There is a separate site on Aikido & Aikibujutsu which is here, in case you didn't come across it. In short, Aikibujutsu expands upon and supplements the Aikido teachings, including arresting techniques and weapons. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Nicholas

Kennesten

White Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. Most of it is a variation, or derivation of Toyama Ryu Batto.

Toyama Ryū is certainly one of the formative influences of Shinkendo, and is today taught separately within the art as gaiden waza (foreign incorporated technique) for the purpose of historical preservation; but it is one of a number of influences from which Shinkendo was created, and overall Shinkendo's debt to Toyama Ryū is rather small.

Latest Discussions