Aikido and Aikibujutsu

Scout

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I had a question about the two. currently I'm in Afghanistan so it's difficult for me togive the dojo a call to talk to them so I thought I would pick your brains, but when I return to the states, Los Angeles, I'm really looking into Shinkendo, among others. On the Honbu site they mention Aikibujutsu and Aikido. Is there a difference, or is it just another name? If there is a difference what are they? Thanks everyone !!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding--and I'm no expert on this--is that Aikibujutsu is meant to be Aikido-style techniques but with more of an older, "combative" edge to them. I don't think the use of it is fully consistent between groups. The -bujutsu implies older, "warrior" arts.

OP
S

Scout

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My understanding--and I'm no expert on this--is that Aikibujutsu is meant to be Aikido-style techniques but with more of an older, "combative" edge to them. I don't think the use of it is fully consistent between groups. The -bujutsu implies older, "warrior" arts.
okay, cause I notice Daito Ryu lists as Aikibujutsu also so this makes sence. So it's more "combat" related, you'd say?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well--they promote it as more combat-oriented. I don't know enough about it to have my own opinion on the matter!

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Daito ryu has aikijujutsu,jujutsu,aikijutsu and many other
Parts. It has some similarly with Aikido but also some
Very distinct things not found in Aikido.

OP
S

Scout

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay so what about Shinkendo? I am definatley more on the combat side, but very much enjoy the traditional side also. Would you say they are more on the combat side, given it's a more modern art, or wouod you say it's more of a......I don't want to use the term flowery but.....well you know :ultracool. I'm very interested in taking this art so I'm trying to find out as much as I can.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shinkendo is a gendai style. Meaning it is modern based on older teachings. The sword forum here on martial talk would know more. I only know about daito ryu.

OP
S

Scout

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Oaktree,I will put this over there !

Chris Li

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Toshishiro Obata was a student of Gozo Shioda, so basically what you're looking at is a variation of Yoshinkan Aikido. The Shinkendo is Obata's own synthesis of the various sword arts that he studied. The best thing to do is to go see - and see some other places so that you can compare, there's a lot of stuff floating around in LA.

HTH...

Best,

Chris