age and the martial arts

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I greatly agree, people do not realize the difficulty in masking our moves smooth and graceful. I always have my students watch many hours of Wushu modern performance art so that they can recognize and appreciation for the art. Once they have developed an appreciation for it, they are more willing to learn it. I do not teach the full extent of it, just enough so that their moves are smooth and graceful. I am glad that someone else can recognizes the complexity of the art.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Modern Wushu is Performance art, do not blame me, I did not label it, and grow up. Your statement "The pole dance of your daughter is performance art" was an attempt to be disrespectful, I do not have a daughter, but it is still disrespectful. Maybe you should not be posting after you have been drinking.
No no, did you see the video posted of his daughter in post #44, it's amazing.

That's incredible.

I better stay off again!!!

Last edited:

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
No no, did you see the video posted of his daughter in post #44, it's amazing.

That's incredible.
Well, he did not state Natasha Wang, he stated "your Daughter". But thank you for pointing that out to me, her moves were smooth and demonstrated great strength.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, he did not state Natasha Wang, he stated "your Daughter". But thank you for pointing that out to me, her moves were smooth and demonstrated great strength.
I know, "pole dancing" is not a good term, but what else can I call this? It is so amazing I had to watch it again.

I have to repeat again, I am not trying to be disrespectful, it is high praise. It's incredible.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I know what you mean, I have in my much younger years watched pole dancing, and people do not recognize the time and skill that is needed to perform like that. I use to tell my wife that I go and watch strictly to admire the skill demonstrated from pole dancing, that's my story and I am sticking to it lol

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Modern Wushu is Performance art, do not blame me, I did not label it, and grow up. Your statement "The pole dance of your daughter is performance art" was an attempt to be disrespectful, I do not have a daughter, but it is still disrespectful. Maybe you should not be posting after you have been drinking.
He was referring to KFW who earlier posted a video of his daughter who is a champion pole dancer. It was not directed at you nor was it intended as disrespectful.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was pointed out to me already, it just threw me when he said "your daughter', he did not say his daughter or a particular video.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

What you see in this video is a performance art created by a mandate from the Chinese government which wanted an impressive cultural art to show the world. It shows remarkable skill, athleticism, and artistry, but it is not a fighting art..
"And you will know modern Wushu by its springy, swishy sword".

I forget who once told me this, but it was prophecy.

I watched this video and the picked up my real dao and slowly moved through the Single Moon. Felt like a killing machine.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You haven’t seen my interpretive dance and haven’t a clue what I’m capable of in the kitchen. Btw real is when I get that Hung Gar iron wire thread I’ve been pining about. ;)
You know somewhere there's a forum just like this one, only devoted to experimental interpretative dance.

I'll do it today. I'm home sick with the sniffles anyway (not COVID).

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know, "pole dancing" is not a good term, but what else can I call this? It is so amazing I had to watch it again.
It's an ancient Asian art form, in fact some of the best known Kung Fu fighters were also skilled in this kind of pole routine. I'll dig up some details later.

At least a few were Wing Chun guys who could do "the Flag" which is one of the most impressive physical techniques a human can perform.

Nowadays you can see this type of thing done at Cirque de Soleil.

And strippers definitely stole this material.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't talking to you. Go back and read it again.
Really, you do not consider "The pole dance of your daughter is performance art" to be disrespectful, any man that has a daughter would greatly disagree.
Kung Fu Wang has a daughter who competes at a world class level in pole dancing events. The athleticism and grace displayed is amazing.
The problem seems to be more yours than anyone else.
Maybe it's time you realized that we are well into the 21st century.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was pointed out to me already, it just threw me when he said "your daughter', he did not say his daughter or a particular video.
The post quotes Kung Fu Wang. The quote is clearly labeled.
Reading... what an amazing idea!

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is nice putting such a surprising look on a young person. I have had young students that believe Wing Chun is for the old and the weak, so I put a 2x6 up against their chest and tell them to take a solid stance, and then show them how I can send them flying back with a wave of my hand, take that you young whipper snapper lol.
Hello Yanli, that is what I'm talking about, whipper snapper is great LOL. We can't stay the same forever (wish we could). I have recently moved from Florida to New Jersey and really cannot find my place here with Adult Kenpo, Ed Parker style training. I recently went to train at a nice MMA club with 40+ adults (A Miracle for sure). 3 adults started that day as new students, one was in his early 30s and the other was in his late 20s. The myself being in my early 60s. 15 minutes into the training the 20 something started puking all over and ran out the door in humiliation. The 30 something held on for about 20 minutes and passed out and hit the wall and ran out when he returned to a functional human, LOL. I did the entire hour and a half session and was disappointed it was over. I am 6' 2 and 310 pounds. and out of shape. I just felt they didn't have the heart or inner strength of our generation to succeed. Just my theory not a fact. I'm sure 20% of men have the inner strength but not all. thank you for responding, reply FB95IMG951529978528245951_2.jpg any time. Ron

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am 69, I did 3 years of Tae Kwon Do in the mid 80s, had to quit due to back injury from all the high kick. But I never stop practicing at home. I have two heavy bags and still working on them every week, never stop. I also do weight training. I am still putting in about 7 hours a week in exercising.

That said, I felt good, still strong.................Until like 65. BUT then, I do get weaker even though I try very hard. Injuries start kicking in. I definitely not as strong as 10 years ago. I am not that strong nor very talent in MA, I just never stop trying. 10 years ago, I could bench 2 to 3 reps of 225lbs, 2 years ago, I could only do 7reps of 185lbs. I since working out at home due to shutting down, so I cannot gauge.

No, I don't feel just as good and just as strong as I get old. 65 seems to be a magic number, I never had knee problem, after 65, one day when I walked down the stairs, my knee buckled and almost fell down the stairs. I since has knee problem that I never injury before, just out in the blue.

I still push in weights, I still wear two weight jackets total of 72lbs to do pushups at home as bench press, 4 sets total with 20, 18, 13 and 10 reps (less reps from set to set) once a week. But I doubt I can do 7 reps of 185lbs as free weight bench press is harder.

NO, there's nothing good about getting old. I try, I really try. My speed gets slower also. Maybe that's just me, but I have suspicion that a lot of older people are fooling themselves to feel good. Yes, I can easily out muscle and fight ordinary people that are in the 40s, but come on, compare to a young person that is in shape and trained....................? Yes, I do look quite a bit younger............for my age. But trying to compare to even to a 45? I am not going to kid myself.

BUT, I am not giving up, still do exercise, my goal is to be mobile when I get old, I also exercise my brain, designing very high end hifi power amps, just learn C++ programming from a book cover to cover last year. Going to learn Python programming with my grand daughter this summer. Just got my 3rd US patent in electronics design from a contract work in 2016. Retirement is as busy as ever.
Hello, sounds like you are blessed for your age, I hope to be as strong and functionable as I get into my late 60s. I'm 60 now. Thank you for your article it is very inspiring. Ron

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, my Grandmaster still trains and teaches and he is in his 90s. No end to the love of learning and sharing any martial art. I'm 60 now and continue to train and lift weekly. I often scare the 20 something students when they believe I'm an old overweight man and I'm still a force to be reckoned with. I'm very blessed for my health and my strength.
Hello, those classic films have always entertained me even as a child. It was the beginning of my interest in the MA. I could not wait to fly through the air and kick 12 people at once. LOL. Ron

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's an ancient Asian art form, in fact some of the best known Kung Fu fighters were also skilled in this kind of pole routine. I'll dig up some details later.

At least a few were Wing Chun guys who could do "the Flag" which is one of the most impressive physical techniques a human can perform.

Nowadays you can see this type of thing done at Cirque de Soleil.

And strippers definitely stole this material.
If there is anything that I do not mind strippers stealing, is pole dancing, heck, they can steal anything they want, except my wallet lol.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello, those classic films have always entertained me even as a child. It was the beginning of my interest in the MA. I could not wait to fly through the air and kick 12 people at once. LOL. Ron
I am only up to kicking 10 people, it would be 12, but the other 2 keep moving on me lol.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Yanli, that is what I'm talking about, whipper snapper is great LOL. We can't stay the same forever (wish we could). I have recently moved from Florida to New Jersey and really cannot find my place here with Adult Kenpo, Ed Parker style training. I recently went to train at a nice MMA club with 40+ adults (A Miracle for sure). 3 adults started that day as new students, one was in his early 30s and the other was in his late 20s. The myself being in my early 60s. 15 minutes into the training the 20 something started puking all over and ran out the door in humiliation. The 30 something held on for about 20 minutes and passed out and hit the wall and ran out when he returned to a functional human, LOL. I did the entire hour and a half session and was disappointed it was over. I am 6' 2 and 310 pounds. and out of shape. I just felt they didn't have the heart or inner strength of our generation to succeed. Just my theory not a fact. I'm sure 20% of men have the inner strength but not all. thank you for responding, replyView attachment 28420 any time. Ron
I was taught old school, if I did something wrong, I was whipped with a stick, if the teacher felt like it, he would whip me again. Teachers can not get away with that anymore, todays students do not realize how easy they have it, and that is not helping them to the fullest. When I demonstrate a move on a student, I hit them hard enough to see I made a good contact, but they still complain when I only hit them just hard enough. I tell them, "if you can not handle me hitting you, you have already lost the fight with a real opponent". Many students can not get it trough their head that they need to be able to take a strike as importantly as being able to fight.

Latest Discussions