age and the martial arts

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe before giving a high rank, like up to say black belt, the person has to post a video of his practice/fight or whatever they do as practice, so you get a better idea where they are at before giving the high rank. Anyone can talk a lot. One video speaks a 1000 words.

The rank is given to encourage people to post. More posts = higher rank.
Positive reinforcement is the addition of something meant to increase the frequency of a behaviour. Higher rank is expected to lead to a higher frequency of posting.

We should not assume that the MT rank confers authority or martial skill.

I ignore the MT rank.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
It always depends on who you're training with.

Alan Lee's Wu Shu Temple comes to mind. From the name you might get the wrong idea, but this place literally defined the old school.

View attachment 28402

I don't think most people who train would get modern Wushu and traditional kung fu confused unless they were being misled. I'm sure it does happen, sadly.
The main reason the two are thought of being the same is because Wushu is a branch of Kung Fu, there are many similar moves in Wushu to Kung Fu. I could go into a 10 page difference and similarities between the two, but I won't lol.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main reason the two are thought of being the same is because Wushu is a branch of Kung Fu, there are many similar moves in Wushu to Kung Fu. I could go into a 10 page difference and similarities between the two, but I won't lol
Why not?

It's a discussion forum. You can write an essay on the differences between Kung Fu and Wushu, I'll read it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe before giving a high rank, like up to say black belt, the person has to post a video of his practice/fight or whatever they do as practice, so you get a better idea where they are at before giving the high rank. Anyone can talk a lot. One video speaks a 1000 words.

I don't deserve a 2nd deg black belt for sure. I only put in 3 years. I am not afraid to post my stick practice even though I am not good at it. I am here to learn and I learned a lot here. I don't just saying this, in school, I skipped belt test at least every other time, some times skipping two tests. If I don't feel I am up to the standard, I don't deserve it. The school never fail people, I don't believe that.

That's part of the reason I stop talking a lot here, I am not an expert, I don't want to get higher rank just because I have a loud mouth!!!
I enjoy your posts. You are not a loud mouth for posting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t know any other way. Laughing does good things to the breath and the ego.
It's not the model I learned from most of my primary instructors - they were mostly the "stern and unquestionable" type. It was important to them to be seen as the primary authority in the room at any time. I found that leads to students not asking some good questions, and to the instructor not getting some important feedback (and other useful input). My primary instructor even told me, as I was entering the instructor ranks, that it was now necessary to create a separation of "us and them" between myself and students - even students who'd been my training partners just prior to that promotion. That just doesn't make good sense to me.

One of my favorite students was one who was always questioning - in a respectful way - the thought process behind what I teach. He just had to know, and it gave me excellent food for thought. And not having to always be an absolute authority means there's no real "loss of face" when something doesn't work the way I'd intended. They know I'm human.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't deserve a 2nd deg black belt for sure. I only put in 3 years. I am not afraid to post my stick practice even though I am not good at it. I am here to learn and I learned a lot here. I don't just saying this, in school, I skipped belt test at least every other time, some times skipping two tests. If I don't feel I am up to the standard, I don't deserve it. The school never fail people, I don't believe that.

That's part of the reason I stop talking a lot here, I am not an expert, I don't want to get higher rank just because I have a loud mouth!!!
This is an excellent example of rank only meaning whatever it is assigned within a group. My black belt in my primary art means something entirely different from my black belt (and subsequent "ranks") here on MT. Here, my rank simply means I have too much time on my hands at times (I was "top poster" many months in a row, which means about what it sounds like) and have a lot to say. And neither of those mean the same thing as @Tony Dismukes' BJJ black belt, nor @Dirty Dog's original BB in TKD, and so on.

The rank only really has good meaning if you know what it was meant to mean.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I did the thread in general martial arts talks, you can do a thread search for "Wing Chun and Wushu".

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But WC is a fighting art and Wushu is a performance art.
Say what?!!!

I thought ballet is performance art. I thought modern dance is performance art. The pole dance of your daughter is performance art. Kung Fu or Wushu is FIGHTING art. It is an art of KICKING BUTT!!!

I really resist in posting already, blame on the few drinks and curiosity that I came back here!!!

Now I start to see where you come from. You treat this is performance art, that it DOES NOT MATTER it works or not as long as it looks artistic.

My question to the rest of the people here, is Martial art(TMA) a performance art or actually a fighting skill and an art of kicking butt. If it is performance art, I am in the wrong forum.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Say what?!!!

I thought ballet is performance art. I thought modern dance is performance art. The pole dance of your daughter is performance art. Kung Fu or Wushu is FIGHTING art. It is an art of KICKING BUTT!!!

I really resist in posting already, blame on the few drinks and curiosity that I came back here!!!

Now I start to see where you come from. You treat this is performance art, that it DOES NOT MATTER it works or not as long as it looks artistic.

My question to the rest of the people here, is Martial art(TMA) a performance art or actually a fighting skill and an art of kicking butt. If it is performance art, I am in the wrong forum.
You seem to be confused as to what KFW was saying.

When he refers to Wushu as a performance art, he's not talking about TCMA in general or TMA in general or martial arts in general or "Wushu" in the original sense of being a generic name for fighting arts or Wing Chun or White Crane or Choy Lee Fut or Jow Ga or any of those.

He's talking about this:

What you see in this video is a performance art created by a mandate from the Chinese government which wanted an impressive cultural art to show the world. It shows remarkable skill, athleticism, and artistry, but it is not a fighting art.

I don't know that any of our current members are practitioners of or particularly interested in this art, which is what usually goes by the name "Wushu" these days.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Say what?!!!

Modern Wushu is Performance art, do not blame me, I did not label it, and grow up. Your statement "The pole dance of your daughter is performance art" was an attempt to be disrespectful, I do not have a daughter, but it is still disrespectful. Maybe you should not be posting after you have been drinking.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your statement "The pole dance of your daughter is performance art" was an attempt to be disrespectful, I do not have a daughter, but it is still disrespectful.
He quoted and was replying to Kung Fu Wang with this, and he was not being disrespectful in the slightest.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Really, you do not consider "The pole dance of your daughter is performance art" to be disrespectful, any man that has a daughter would greatly disagree.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's get real.

Very few of us are capable of "performance art" let alone real kung fu.

Latest Discussions