African martial arts

P

progressivetactics

We have a school in Detroit called Akebulan, which is the African way of studing martial arts. It is Tang Soo Do with African colors on their uniform.
Is there any arts that anyone is familiar with that are indiginous to Africa?

Not the political......all people came from there and they had to fight to survive answer....but arts......Like Tae Kwon do From Korea....etc.

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
studies of African tribal culture has shown that each individual tribe developed its own unique form of combat, but nothing that can be called a 'system' in our terms. What we commonly think of as a martial art are not taught within the tribe as a 'martial art'.. they are individual warfare techniques and dance movements. The idea of a 'martial art' is not part of most tribal cultures... its just a combination of skills they learn. Many of the games played by children in these cultures develope and harness combat skills, but the games are not thought of as training techniques.
To have a representative from one of the surviving traditional tribal families sit down and discuss thier 'martial arts' is almost impossible, since that concept is alien to them. They can discuss various hunting techniques, particular dance rituals, and common close cambat or wrestling concepts... but this is not considered something that can be classified as a 'martial art' in thier minds. While many of them may 'wrestle' with each other on occasion, they do not practice it.. its just something they do from time to time. There may be similarities seen in habits and tendancies displayed while wrestling, but it is not something that is developed intentionally or uniformly. They have no specific schools that teach combat skills, and there are no formal instructors that teach these skills.
It might be possible to spend enough time with a particular tribe to gather enough information to catalog what WE could define as thier 'martial art'. Unfortunatley, anthropologists find it difficult to distinguish between a combat skill that is used in daily routine, and a daily routine that could be interpeted as having combat applications. For example, when watching a ritual dance, WE might see a series of combat activities, because we are LOOKING for them.
Among the South American tribes, we can find things that can more closely be considered a martial art.
I hope i made sense here. These are merely the conclusions reached during my own efforts to research the subject while i majored in cultural anthropolgy, and they seem to reflect the observations of the larger anthropological community.

OP
P

progressivetactics

Excellent post Grimfang.
I'm glad you put your source on there as well. I was going to ask how you got your info, because it was so well put together.

Thanks for your help!

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Every guy I have seen teaching "African Martial Arts" in America has turned out to be just some guy doing TKD or another art in a strange costume. I would be cautioous about anyone claiming to teach such styles.

However, I have also been taught a knife art that is used in parts of Africa. Supposably, it is based on older tradtions. I can not confirm that. I can only say that it is nasty and would tear apart any of the "African martial artists" I have seen should they try to defend against it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
However, I have also been taught a knife art that is used in parts of Africa. Supposably, it is based on older tradtions. I can not confirm that.

Please tell us more about this! What part of Africa is it from and is it similar to some style we might know about?

OP
P

progressivetactics

Uh oh....time to move this discussion to Knife arts.
Just kidding.

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Originally posted by arnisador
Please tell us more about this! What part of Africa is it from and is it similar to some style we might know about?

Sorry, I can not discuss this art too much. Not only can I not give out specifics, but I can even tell you the reasons why I can't talk about it. :waah:

Latest Discussions