Advice for a 63 year old beginner

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody kills anybody anymore. It's cultural social activity!
I'm 63 years old and considering starting Muay Thai ...
I could be wrong. But I have never heard anybody who trains Muay Thai for the purpose of "cultural social activity".

I don't think one can spar MT by using point system rule. I also don't know any MT training that does not include sparring.

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could be wrong. But I have never heard anybody who trains Muay Thai for the purpose of "cultural social activity".

I don't think one can spar MT by using point system rule. I also don't know any MT training that does not include sparring.
Well he needs to give things a try to gauge his capability. If not this then something else.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kidding that you KO'd them, or that it was 2 years later? 🤣

haha, I've only KO'ed 2 women in the last 20+ years and only made 5 cry (and none of them were those 2). But of those 5, two were the ones KO'ed and then cried (so not 7).

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is hard core for a beginning 63 year old. But I say do it and if you don't like it, then stop and try another martial art.
Sifu

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"I'm 63 years old and considering starting . . ."

Lots of great advice in this thread. The chief one is starting with the doctor just to make sure. MA is not much of a spectator sport and you will be stressing your heart a bit in the process. The question about age is one that hints at the idea you're aiming at becoming the next Bruce Lee. At 63, it's probably not gonna happen. But, at 63, you can get yourself in great shape in the next few years. I started at 64 and made black belt at 67. You feel like an idiot going thru the paces with kids and teens during the white belt phase, but you gotta keep going. My dojang also teaches BJJ and I avoided it because my health (breathing) couldn't handle it. However, now that I'm a black belt, it's like starting all over again because the training is much more intense and (surprise, surprise) we are being taught BJJ stuff! Can't avoid it! My doctor says I gotta keep it up because it's keeping me healthy. B/P is like a young person, Diabetes 2 under control, weight under control. Enjoy yourself!

Latest Discussions