Addressing Hendrik's statement 'why perform SLT section 1 so slow'?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are all 'speeds' not valid regardless of level? I guess I mean is it not a good thing to alternate depending on what you are developing? Even folks who reach a certain 'level' need to keep what is obtained in check or train something specific?
You train the same technique differently at different point of your life. This is why the grade school text book is different from the high school text book, and also different from the college text books.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
one of discussion and dialogue.

The reason for asking is that most people including me have no clue what Hendrik is talking about. For this reason it would be good to know if you are a training partner of HS for example (who might understand) or just some other random person (who most likely will not, assuming there is anything to understand). Getting into a long discussion about CSL wing chun with someone who is speculating about it is probably a waste of time

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The concerns are whether you

- separate beginner stage, intermediate stage, and advance stage.
- use slow speed training in the beginner stage, increase your speed when you get more advance, or you remain slow speed training for the rest of your life?
- train as you fight.

The saam pai fut section of Siu Nim Tau is typically performed more slowly as you become more advanced in your training. The movements are not performed as in fighting. The movements in the other forms may be performed as in fighting, but to see the movements as direct fighting applications would be a mistake IMO. They teach positioning, structure, correct movement, kinetic linkages and power generation. They are not shadow boxing.

Latest Discussions