Absorb What is Useful

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engineering students just wanted to learn and master methods, they were not really curious about learning how methods was constructed and why. They didn't ask as many "why" questions as the science students, who wanted to understnad the methods constructing principes, for the purpose of improving them.
There’s exactly the the same situation between medical and science students. The medical students just want to know that, say, insulin can reduce dangerously high blood potassium levels but aren’t bothered about the mechanisms, whereas the biomedical students want to know how.

This is the difference between applied and pure subjects. Perhaps this applies to the various shades of martial arts too…

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
couple of thoughts. First, I’d say there’s a distinction between process and ritual.

And scientific method is intrinsically forward thinking. It encourages the experimentation mentioned in the OP.
Tradition is forward thinking as well.
I will use a couple of examples to show this. The Assumption that that Tradition means you are locked into something is in correct.

Jow Ga Kung Fu - Was created by blending techniques from 3 different traditional fighting systems. If Tradition means that someone is "locked into a system" then it would be impossible for Jow Ga Kung Fu to be created. By your definition Hung ga, Choy Ga, and Northern Shaolin should be "locked" and not blended.

Here are some other traditions that are forward looking Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween. People are always finding new ways to celebrate these traditions. Mardi Gras and 4th of July are also traditions. These traditions have also changed over the years. For some Super Bowl Sunday is a tradition.

Traditional Bo hunting's evolution. Why hunt with a bow when you can hunt with a gun?

Traditional Auto racing Nascar

Baseball is a traditional sport, same as basketball.

All these things are traditional, but they are not "locked" as you suggest. If Traditional means that someone is locked into a system, then there would never be different types of Kung fu systems out there or different types of Karate systems out there.

But if you are a guy, like how Bruce Lee is described, who craves experimentation, and you are locked into a traditional system, there is conflict.
I don't think Bruce Lee really understood martial arts as much as we give him credit for. I think much of his take on Martial Arts was based on his Chinese culture and that more than anything was his real beef. People hold Bruce Lee up as if his wisdom about Martial Arts was something new.

Jow Ga Kung Fu was created in 1910 and blended different fighting systems. The founder took what he liked from 3 systems and blended it together to create a new Hybrid fighting system. Like many other martial artists of his time, he studied more than one martial art system. This was long before Bruce Lee was born, and the Founder of Jow Ga was not the first person to blend different martial arts system.

So when people start talking about "Bruce Lee" Wisdom, there were a lot of Traditional Martial Artists out that combined other systems into their own and in some cases, created brand new systems.

I think Bruce Lee's problem was simply that he didn't like how Wing Chun was doing things, and he didn't like Traditional Chinese Culture and he thought that was out of date. If anything, I bet his desire to learn from other systems came from a forward thinking Traditional Martial Artist. Since many of those traditional Martial Artist would have studied more than one more martial arts.

Similar to how many Traditional Martial Arts on Martial Talk have studied more than one Martial art. That seems very forward thinking to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There’s exactly the the same situation between medical and science students. The medical students just want to know that, say, insulin can reduce dangerously high blood potassium levels but aren’t bothered about the mechanisms, whereas the biomedical students want to know how.

This is the difference between applied and pure subjects. Perhaps this applies to the various shades of martial arts too…
Yep but a lot of things in Modern medicine is looping back to things that Traditional Medicine was well aware of.

Had they kept some of the Traditional stuff, then they would be more advanced than they are now with medicine. But because they didn't, they are learning the hard way that traditional medicine has value (not all of them, but more than what we think.)

So now it's like they are starting from the beginning using traditional medicine to help them create better medicine minus the numerous negative side effects.

Tradition is not something to discard. It's something to learn from.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tradition is forward thinking as well.
I will use a couple of examples to show this. The Assumption that that Tradition means you are locked into something is in correct.

Jow Ga Kung Fu - Was created by blending techniques from 3 different traditional fighting systems. If Tradition means that someone is "locked into a system" then it would be impossible for Jow Ga Kung Fu to be created. By your definition Hung ga, Choy Ga, and Northern Shaolin should be "locked" and not blended.

Here are some other traditions that are forward looking Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween. People are always finding new ways to celebrate these traditions. Mardi Gras and 4th of July are also traditions. These traditions have also changed over the years. For some Super Bowl Sunday is a tradition.

Traditional Bo hunting's evolution. Why hunt with a bow when you can hunt with a gun?

Traditional Auto racing Nascar

Baseball is a traditional sport, same as basketball.

All these things are traditional, but they are not "locked" as you suggest. If Traditional means that someone is locked into a system, then there would never be different types of Kung fu systems out there or different types of Karate systems out there.

I don't think Bruce Lee really understood martial arts as much as we give him credit for. I think much of his take on Martial Arts was based on his Chinese culture and that more than anything was his real beef. People hold Bruce Lee up as if his wisdom about Martial Arts was something new.

Jow Ga Kung Fu was created in 1910 and blended different fighting systems. The founder took what he liked from 3 systems and blended it together to create a new Hybrid fighting system. Like many other martial artists of his time, he studied more than one martial art system. This was long before Bruce Lee was born, and the Founder of Jow Ga was not the first person to blend different martial arts system.

So when people start talking about "Bruce Lee" Wisdom, there were a lot of Traditional Martial Artists out that combined other systems into their own and in some cases, created brand new systems.

I think Bruce Lee's problem was simply that he didn't like how Wing Chun was doing things, and he didn't like Traditional Chinese Culture and he thought that was out of date. If anything, I bet his desire to learn from other systems came from a forward thinking Traditional Martial Artist. Since many of those traditional Martial Artist would have studied more than one more martial arts.

Similar to how many Traditional Martial Arts on Martial Talk have studied more than one Martial art. That seems very forward thinking to me.
I think I see where you're coming from with this, but what you're talking about is taking a different tangent from a tradition. Your point about the bow I think is more about historical usage, rather than tradition, though they are linked there: a traditional bowman would likely prefer something like an English longbow.

Jow Ga wasn't as traditional as its root systems when it was formed. Something being traditional doesn't mean it can't be drawn from - just that those who prefer the tradition of it are unlikely to branch away from it.

There are traditions within sports, and there are sports that are historical. I don't think I'd consider the sports you referred to as "traditional" in most senses, though. Though there is an area in which an analogy exists in baseball: the wooden bat. College teams can use metal bats, but MLB teams must use wooden bats. It's my understanding the metal bats are superior for the job of hitting the ball, but for a number of reasons, MLB prefers to keep to the tradtional bat. There are traditionalists among golfers, who prefer to continue to play with the less-capable older styles of clubs, but the sport as a whole moved well past that traditional equipment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep but a lot of things in Modern medicine is looping back to things that Traditional Medicine was well aware of.

Had they kept some of the Traditional stuff, then they would be more advanced than they are now with medicine. But because they didn't, they are learning the hard way that traditional medicine has value (not all of them, but more than what we think.)

So now it's like they are starting from the beginning using traditional medicine to help them create better medicine minus the numerous negative side effects.

With medicine, a lot of this was about evidence. Much of traditional healing wasn't evidence-based, and didn't hold up under clinical scrutiny. Since other areas of medicine were providing predictable pathways to solving problems, those were followed. Over time, as we learned more, it was easier to determine which parts of traditional medicine were likley to be effective, so they could be tested properly - providing evidence. Had they held to those traditional methods initially, they'd have had to give a miss to the branches that were providing more answers (time and resources being finite).

EDIT: (Hit reply too quickly) Some of it was hubris, too. Western medicine often assumed it had answers and that anything it didn't understand was likely superstition. This was the case even when parts of Western medicine were largely superstition.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but the sport as a whole moved well past that traditional equipment.
Equipment has always improved in the traditional world. I can guarantee the wooden bats used today are better than the wooden bats used 50 years ago. Here we see the forward thinking of traditional bat making. The reason I say traditional is because the, they still use manual methods of selecting the bats. But they also use modern methods as well.

The baseball cleat is the traditional shoe of baseball, right? They didn't get a basketball shoe and applied it to baseball. They didn't get a sprinter's shoe or a soccer shoe. The evolution to the baseball cleat is from the traditional baseball shoe. It did not stay the same as the original. Most Traditional stuff doesn't remain the same. It evolves.

Traditional violin evolution. I remember when coolness didn't hang out with Violin players.

Traditional instruments doing new stuff. I bet they have the classical skills as well.

I think people incorrectly think of tradition as something that doesn't change and everything I see about tradition says that it changes.
Traditional Bungee Jumping
article-2685922-1F81AA5800000578-977_636x382.jpg

Modern Bungee jumping one day this will be considered traditional.

Probably too late

Traditional Lion dance. Drum beat sounds very familiar to Jow Ga Lion Dance

Modern lion dance that still has some traditional elements.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Backward looking by definition: following or belonging to the customs or ways of behaving that have continued in a group of people or society for a long time without changing.
Yet they still change. The longest traditions our there would probably be Religion and tattoos and even those have changed. Just look at how many branches of the same religion there are all of which claim to be same.

Kung Fu came from India. First traditional change occurred when it hit China. As different Chinese cultures learned it, the system changed again to match the culture. Chines Government tries to suppress martial arts and it changed again. Kung fu goes overseas and it changes again. In some schools the most traditional thing they have would be the term Sifu.

A Kung fu instructor in Califoronia had no traditional. He was more of the Bruce Lee mindset. His name is Freddie. One year he decided to add Chinese lion dance which his school never had.

I think traditions in general provide a benefit beyond the fighting. I'm pretty sure the US military has some traditions too.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This a tenuous suggestion. 99% of traditional medicine is of no therapeutic value beyond placebo and the claimed traditional mechanisms of effect for those that do, are ‘monkey kaka.’ 🙊💩

If traditional worked, there’d be no modern Western medicine in China.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tradition: the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.’

If ‘traditions’ from several relatively, unrelated schools are agglutinated, then a new set of customs and rituals is created which, in the fullness of time, may become viewed as traditional, if it survives the pressures martial arts ‘Darwinism’.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If traditional worked, there’d be no modern Western medicine in China.
"Around 40% of pharmaceutical products today draw from nature and traditional knowledge, including landmark drugs: aspirin, artemisinin, and childhood cancer treatments. A closer look at these drugs reveals that the scientists behind them built off traditional knowledge to achieve their breakthrough discoveries." - Source - Traditional medicine has a long history of contributing to conventional medicine and continues to hold promise

"Recalling that traditional medicine was “as old as humanity itself”, the WHO chief noted that many modern drugs trace their roots to ancient healing practices." - Source

"Artificial intelligence (AI) is emerging as a game-changer, revolutionizing the study and practice of traditional healing systems. AI’s advanced algorithms and machine learning capabilities allow researchers to explore extensive traditional medical knowledge, mapping evidence and identifying once elusive patterns and trends." - Source

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Around 40% of pharmaceutical products today draw from nature and traditional knowledge,
‘Draw’ is the operative word. These natural substances have had to be refined/concentrated/purified etc in order to have a consistent, therapeutic effect. They often require novel routes of administration.

If I developed severe chest pain, I‘d request the help of a medical practitioner, not the local shaman. If I developed a persistent bothersome, itchy rash, I’d go to my pharmacist/GP and not the neighbourhood herbalist. If my beloved cat was clearly in discomfort, I’d ask a vet for advice. Now, be honest, what about you? 😉

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
No not controversial at all Steve. It's a very good point, and something to ponder, especially as we all may practice from a certain tradition.

I hear Russ Smith speak on this quite a bit (practioner and teacher of a few arts), and I like his take on it. Says that tradition is a launching point, and isn't about worshipping the ashes, but tending to the flame. Using tradition as your foundation and as a springboard to development, learning and evolution.

"Rather than understanding their relationship with a living tradition, many abandon tradition altogether...

Part of the reason for this over-correction is that so many see tradition as a limitation on what they are allowed to do, rather than a launching point for growth.

Tradition, for many, is interpreted in a way that is too stifling, inhibiting growth, learning, and free expression.

It doesn't have to be that way."

And a bit longer vid on tradition:

OH and of course, don't know how I forgot, but the concept of Shu-Ha-Ri plays a huge role in traditional martial arts (that is for those teachers who follow and encourage it).

Don't have time to go into now but I think we've discussed Shu-Ha-Ri multiple times throughout threads for those wanting to check out and how it relates :)

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet they still change. The longest traditions our there would probably be Religion and tattoos and even those have changed. Just look at how many branches of the same religion there are all of which claim to be same.

Kung Fu came from India. First traditional change occurred when it hit China. As different Chinese cultures learned it, the system changed again to match the culture. Chines Government tries to suppress martial arts and it changed again. Kung fu goes overseas and it changes again. In some schools the most traditional thing they have would be the term Sifu.

A Kung fu instructor in Califoronia had no traditional. He was more of the Bruce Lee mindset. His name is Freddie. One year he decided to add Chinese lion dance which his school never had.

I think traditions in general provide a benefit beyond the fighting. I'm pretty sure the US military has some traditions too.
The U.S. military has traditions. Unfortunately, most have been stripped away over the last decade.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The U.S. military has traditions. Unfortunately, most have been stripped away over the last decade.
I sincerely worry about the state of our military. God help us if/when conscription starts up again.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sincerely worry about the state of our military. God help us if/when conscription starts up again.
Unfortunately, conscription is the current talk around D.C. The core job in the Army was 40,000 recruits short last year. I hope the situation turns around soon. Sorry for the thread derailment. Please ignore my ramblings and carry on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equipment has always improved in the traditional world. I can guarantee the wooden bats used today are better than the wooden bats used 50 years ago. Here we see the forward thinking of traditional bat making. The reason I say traditional is because the, they still use manual methods of selecting the bats. But they also use modern methods as well.

The baseball cleat is the traditional shoe of baseball, right? They didn't get a basketball shoe and applied it to baseball. They didn't get a sprinter's shoe or a soccer shoe. The evolution to the baseball cleat is from the traditional baseball shoe. It did not stay the same as the original. Most Traditional stuff doesn't remain the same. It evolves.

Traditional violin evolution. I remember when coolness didn't hang out with Violin players.

Traditional instruments doing new stuff. I bet they have the classical skills as well.

I think people incorrectly think of tradition as something that doesn't change and everything I see about tradition says that it changes.
Traditional Bungee Jumping
article-2685922-1F81AA5800000578-977_636x382.jpg

Modern Bungee jumping one day this will be considered traditional.

Probably too late

Traditional Lion dance. Drum beat sounds very familiar to Jow Ga Lion Dance

Modern lion dance that still has some traditional elements.
Again, I think you're confusing "traditional" and "historic" or even "past". I think we should only consider it "traditional" if it held its place for a long time, or has been retained and become a tradition. It's a nuanced difference, for sure. I know of nobody who looks back wistfully at the "traditional soccer cleat".

My primary art is fairly-traditional. We keep the forms that teach the foundational techniques, mostly because that's how it's always been done. It could be done other ways, but departing from that traditional approach would mean a rework of the entire approach, and would also make it difficult to work with other groups within the art. We still wear dogi because that's traditional for us, and feels comfortable. We still do fairly traditional (but bastardized versions of) bow-ins and bow-outs, and use some traditional terms (sensei, ranks, etc.).

Within the population of that art, I'm less traditional than most - I've altered the curriculum in ways that some would consider a departure from the art (changing the tradition), and don't require some of the formality traditionally required within NGA dojos. There are areas where I prefer to keep to the traditions, because I like them, but most others within the art are definitely more traditional than I am.

I don't see any way we can define "traditional" that would include it being innovative. You can definitely innovate in some areas while respecting tradition in other areas, but that definitely makes you less traditional than someone who sticks to what has been traditionally done.

Closing afterthought: As I re-read my last paragraph, I can think of one way we could put innovation within tradition: if there's a tradition of innovation. I'd look at BJJ as an example of this. If someone decided they were going to keep teaching exactly what was taught to them (the exact passes, guards, etc.), they'd actually be choosing to move away from BJJ's tradition of innovation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Draw’ is the operative word. These natural substances have had to be refined/concentrated/purified etc in order to have a consistent, therapeutic effect. They often require novel routes of administration
This doesn't matter. There are different processes for the administration of any medicine modern or traditional but it doesn't change the nature of what the medicine. You cannot inject a pill. If you want to inject the same medicine then you have to change it. But it's the same medicine.

Purity of medicine is also not always good. It's similar to saying "pure wing chun" and then you end up with numerous conflict. The body doesn't always like purity. It would rather have a balance. This is why some people have to take addition medicine to balance out medicine.

Got the flu eat chicken noodle soup to manage the symptoms no purity needed. The balance of the soup gives the person the benefits of of nutrients and hydration.

While there are times where purity helps, it's not always the best medicine.

I know of nobody who looks back wistfully at the "traditional soccer cleat".
I do. Answer this. What is the traditional type of soccer shoe? Keep in mind indoor soccer shoes are modern in comparison and didn't exist until indoor soccer came along.

Historical would be wearing a soccer cleat with the same structural design of the first soccer shoe or of a soccer shoe from a specific time period, made in the same manner.

Traditional = It is passed down through generations that this is the type of shoe that is worn for soccer. With each generation the shoe is improved.

This is how TMA has developed. No one in TMA practices TMA as the original founders made it, unless it fairly knew. But even TKD has changed from what the founders taught.

Let's take a look at soccer players again. Soccer players now are more skilled than soccer players of the past. Much of that skill improvement is from the result of improvement in the equipment that is used and in the ball.

Basketball and American football are the same. Both developed within themselves.
Within the population of that art, I'm less traditional than most - I've altered the curriculum in ways that some would consider a departure from the art (changing the tradition), and don't require some of the formality traditionally required within NGA dojos. There are areas where I prefer to keep to the traditions, because I like them, but most others within the art are definitely more traditional than I am.
You are an example of how tradition changes. Get enough people to follow you and you way will become traditional if others pass your way down through generations.

If someone decided they were going to keep teaching exactly what was taught to them
I don't know anyone who teaches exactly the same way that we were taught. Unless they aren't using the systems combat function. If you are actually using Martial Arts then you would include improvements in your teaching. The way that I teach Jow Ga application is not how other schools teach it. In my own training I figured out how to learn it better than how I was taught. Some things I would teach as I was taught but other things I wouldn't.

Those functional pieces that you change may actually be the missing components that were used by those who focused on function. You may be doing a rediscovery with some of the changes. I figure people who focus on function will come to many of the same ideas and solutions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are an example of how tradition changes.
Except that my changes aren't traditional. Frankly, they never will be - they were divergences from the tradition, and never gained enough foothold to last to become a tradition, in any sense of the word. So I didn't change tradition. I varied from it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who teaches exactly the same way that we were taught.
I know people who pride themselves on attempting to do exactly that. Some of them came from others who also attempted to do exactly that. They want to teach the art as it was taught by someone in the past (the founder, the person who introduced it to the country, etc.).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know people who pride themselves on attempting to do exactly that. Some of them came from others who also attempted to do exactly that. They want to teach the art as it was taught by someone in the past (the founder, the person who introduced it to the country, etc.).
That would be me. I do not feel I am authorized to change anything about the art I study, nor do I think I have any special insights or wisdom that would urge me to do so. We fortunately still have some living first-generation students of the founder who can tell us quite precisely what was taught to them, and we have video of the founder for some things. It's fairly easy to refer to the based documents, first-gen students, and videos of the founder when in doubt. "I think the founder did this wrong" is not something that would ever enter my head.