Absolute Beginner Training Program

relson

White Belt
Reaction score
Training program question:
I have the goal of preparing myself for 2 weeks of intensive training (muay thai, 7 hrs/day, leaving in 8 weeks).

I have no martial arts experience and have access to a gym and boxing bags but i have no instructors, just myself. I'm keen to have a real go I have 2 hrs a day for the next 8 weeks to get ready any advice would be great, thanks.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7 hours a day? Endurance is going to be the big thing for you. Don't worry about technique, you aren't really going to be able to learn much before you leave, but do everything you can to build your endurance. Cardio and maybe punching a speed bag to get some upper body endurance going, otherwise you're likely going to hate hours 2-7 of every day.

OP
R

relson

White Belt
Reaction score
So for 2 hours I should just punch and kick the bag randomly? (i can do that if it's what's best). feels as though i should structure my training and introduce some measurable outcomes so I can set goals. i have 8 weeks to prepare.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW, 7 hrs a day??? Pack some pain killers, and a notebook..Try to put down what you covered that day while it is still fresh in your mind..It will make an excellent reference guide later..Just my 2 cents..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be a straight 7 hours training, in Thailand there's usually nothing in the afternoons when it hottest.
Fitness and stamina are the biggest thing, if you haven't had any training in kicking and punching much better to leave it to the instructors otherwise you will spend precious time relearning everything. When our fighters go to Fairtex they make sure they are as fit as they can be, loads of running as well as stamina work.
Who are you training with out there?