• 3-4 years

• 5+ years

Results are only viewable after voting.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had about a 17 year break from training, but have been actively training for about 6 years now, but I'm starting to feel burnt out. Debating on taking a break again.

Based on the above 17 and 6, plus the age you first started training, you could be hitting 40ish. I'm sure you know well that the best advice is switch gears, find something else you like and keep moving. I'm in my 70's and at my lowest points in life made up my mind to never go below a certain point physically. This has served me well, for when the high points hit, I was prepared to carry on. Best of luck and stay hooked to MT as it is a great resource as I'm sure you know. :) (seasoned)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't trained since mid 2010. A change in marital status and a return to working full time after being a stay-at-home mom for 20 years put the kibosh on that real quick. I miss it but I just don't have the time or resources for it at this point in my life.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Trained for 10 years solid, without missing a class. After losing a child last year, I can honestly say that while I show up for class...I'm 'out of training'.

Used to be, I considered 'training' to be if one actually made it to the dojo; with so many 'internet warriors' and 'armchair researchers' it seemed that mat time determined whether or not one was truly training.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I had about a 17 year break from training, but have been actively training for about 6 years now, but I'm starting to feel burnt out. Debating on taking a break again.

Have you considered switching styles? Six years is a common point to plateau and not really see the benefits of training as you are on the steeper end of the learning curve. Switch systems and get back to having that beginner mentality and be reminded about all the things you don't know.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice, I've taken the last couple of weeks off and hoping to get back on the bandwagon, but I do have a couple of other options that I may seriously consider in the near future. I'll keep you posted.

Latest Discussions