A video I love

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
16 years ago in my Kenpo black belt test I was asked who my martial arts idol was, and I answered "Dan Inosanto," because he is just the consummate martial arts student. At the time my BJJ coach would talk about him being on the mat everyday at the Machado's school, and to watch this vid, well it is always great to see a master instructor feeling perfectly comfortable being the student again.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
A true Master never stops learning. What I think really shows the respect between these two men is that when Ising Atillo was preparing his official Lineage it was Guro Dan who was selected to "co-sign" and certify it.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
A true Master never stops learning. What I think really shows the respect between these two men is that when Ising Atillo was preparing his official Lineage it was Guro Dan who was selected to "co-sign" and certify it.
That's probably because no other balintawak masters will corroborate Atillo's lineage. The lineages seem to be getting along well right now so I don't want to stir anything up but Atillo's version of the art's lineage diverts from what every other source will say. It's nice of Dan to sign it but he's got nothing to do with balintawak.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's probably because no other balintawak masters will corroborate Atillo's lineage. The lineages seem to be getting along well right now so I don't want to stir anything up but Atillo's version of the art's lineage diverts from what every other source will say. It's nice of Dan to sign it but he's got nothing to do with balintawak.

My point was to say simply Atillo was the caretaker of the Lineage at that point in North America

When you ask someone seperate of that to be the "witness", that is showing some crazy degree of respect. No more no less. I get the pissing match because I also study Wing Chun (omg I feel rained on sometimes with the "Hip Man taught this and not that" crap )

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
My point was to say simply Atillo was the caretaker of the Lineage at that point in North America

When you ask someone seperate of that to be the "witness", that is showing some crazy degree of respect. No more no less. I get the pissing match because I also study Wing Chun (omg I feel rained on sometimes with the "Hip Man taught this and not that" crap )
Balintawak isn't nearly the lineage mess that Wing Chun is. I'm not discounting Atillo's ability to teach or method. I'm just pointing out that his account of lineage is different from every other account, and no one else really argues about Balintawak lineage because it's pretty easy to verify. Also referring to balintawak as the caretaker of the lineage sounds misleading, he's got his interpretation of the art other lineages have theirs'. So maybe he's the caretaker of his own lineage I won't argue with that.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forget the lineage politics already! What I see here are two old manongs having the time of their lives. Look at Guro Dan's smile. This is pure love of the art! :)

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forget the lineage politics already! What I see here are two old manongs having the time of their lives. Look at Guro Dan's smile. This is pure love of the art! :)

Exactly.

Latest Discussions