A teenager walks in to your school...

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A teenager walks in to your school....and calmly asks to challenge you.

You ask why?

He says he's self-taught, and he's recently challenged masters in a nearby town. He doesn't say the name of the school, but he says the style, and the town. He says he's held his own.

You gaze at his build, and notice that he is athletic. You ask how old he is, he says he is 15.

The teen talks to you clearly, calmly, and quietly. He doesn't raise his voice, and speaks very confidently and in a matter-of-fact fashion.

What do you do from there?

I would ask him to come back with his parents and sign up for classes. Since he is a minor, he can't legally sign the contract or the waiver.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some interesting answeres to this thread
thanks to Carol for starting it.

I like the idea of letting the young man come back and showing what he knows before a select group of senior students and possibly a few outsiders from other school ( they might as well know he is in the area)
If the young man truely has learned some good techniques he may well make a good student for someone if he is willing to learn.
This might be a good time to show the young man , in a friendly manner, that he has learned little and there is much he has no idea about.

As for the challange at his age it would not be accepted unless he made the first violent move. I hate putting my coffee done just tp satisfy some kid.

Now if it where an adult things might change depending on how he presented the challange. there are polite ways and some not so polite ways and each is delt with in a different manner.
As for doing anything in front of the class , no I dont think so , I dislike the idea of haveing qitnesses if things ended up in court. The exception would be if they came onto the floor and started kicking and swinging.
Oh and as to calling to plice I dont have a cell phone or phone in my school. nor do I allow the use of one within the school except in my office

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an idea here. Everyone is assuming this kid walking in doesn't know anything, childishly wants a challenge and will attack when refuses also he wants to take over the class. What if he walked in quietly because he was confident because he knows he can actually fight, in fact he was the next Bruce Lee/ Chuck Liddell and this was the only way anyone would take him seriously as everyone assumes they know more than he? It may be unlikely but it's about as likely as someone walking into my club to challenge anyone.

If someone walks into your club/school and speaks with respect ( there is nothing in the OP to suggest he doesn't) do they only get respect back if they are over a certain age? Everyone keeps refering to 'the kid' of how immature he is etc what if he's not? there are many mature 15 year olds out there who have had the sort of life where they grew up quickly. There are many 'child' carers in this country who support and care for their families.
Anyone entering through our door is given the benefit of the doubt until it proves otherwise. If he came in and said he wants to fight there's no reason for him not to join in with the warm up and then sparring with us. if he went over the top he wouldn't be the first and it's easily controlled with no harm done. He's not stepping on any egos and being treated seriously may do him the world of good. He'd learn he doesn't have to go round issuing challenges but will be treated as one of the team if he works hard. If he doesn't act like a child no reason to treat him as one.

We know our instructor can fight, we know we can fight, we also know we can be beaten, it's no big deal. We train hard but we also have a good laugh and a lot of fun. If the challenger joined us we'd make sure he never lived down the challenging bit lol! Anyone's welcome to join us, bring a sense of humour though!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't stuck my tuppence in the ring on this one as it's highly unlikely that it's a situation I would ever face, given my art.

Hypothetically tho', I think I sit in the camp of those who would not dismiss the challenger out of hand but would explain that he's chosen an inappropriate way to go about things.

If he was serious enough to boldly walk in and speak to me in such a fashion then he's serious enough to demonstrate what he thinks he knows in a manner more in keeping with the mature mien of a dojo environment.

If that's really not what he's after, then child or adult, I would not be inclined to allow him to remain before kamiza with such an attitude.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
J
If someone walks into your club/school and speaks with respect ( there is nothing in the OP to suggest he doesn't) do they only get respect back if they are over a certain age? Everyone keeps refering to 'the kid' of how immature he is etc what if he's not? there are many mature 15 year olds out there who have had the sort of life where they grew up quickly. There are many 'child' carers in this country who support and care for their families.

I can respect him for having the courage and self confidence to challenge the instructor and I can overlook his not knowing proper protocol. Regardless, I'll require him to follow the same procedure as anyone else. Making exceptions for his age is as bad as being prejudiced because of it.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At 15 there's too much legal hassle. It would be an impossibility. At 18/21 I'd call legal aid or sit down with a lawyer and find out all the particulars and if there is a waiver that would remove me of all liability. If so, I may choose to accept the challenge at a later date, arrange for medics on site (split the cost), each of us would bring one witness, all forms would be signed. There would be rules, agreed on beforehand. It would be full contact. No biting, gouging, scratching, limb destruction or groin-grappling. If there were no rules I'd boobie trap the site ahead of time, sneak up on him and hit him with a brick then proceed to barbecue and eat him.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At 15 there's too much legal hassle. It would be an impossibility. At 18/21 I'd call legal aid or sit down with a lawyer and find out all the particulars and if there is a waiver that would remove me of all liability. If so, I may choose to accept the challenge at a later date, arrange for medics on site (split the cost), each of us would bring one witness, all forms would be signed. There would be rules, agreed on beforehand. It would be full contact. No biting, gouging, scratching, limb destruction or groin-grappling. If there were no rules I'd boobie trap the site ahead of time, sneak up on him and hit him with a brick then proceed to barbecue and eat him.

Unfortunately, even if both parties agree beforehand to a duel/challenge, it doesn't absolve either party from a criminal offense. Training and sparring is class is an accepted aspect of the martial arts but something like you're describing can get you arrested.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
BBQing people does tend to get you arrested lol
I heard from my dad that back in the "good'ol days" there was an actual right to consent to a fight where if both parties consented no one could be held accountable as long as a "reasonable" amount of force was used in the situation (whatever that means). Medics are expensive, I imagine, to keep on stand-by. I also have a funny feeling that you can't make a contract for a situation like this. You'd have to assume the other party has honor. A rare commodity these days...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it has been suggested that the young man may just want to find out what he knows and how good he is but dose not know the proper way of doing things. This may well be the fact but as he claimed to have gone to schools in other towns and done the same thing it seems to me somewhere along the line someone shouldd have told him the proper wy of doing things

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it has been suggested that the young man may just want to find out what he knows and how good he is but dose not know the proper way of doing things. This may well be the fact but as he claimed to have gone to schools in other towns and done the same thing it seems to me somewhere along the line someone shouldd have told him the proper wy of doing things

People that don't know the right way to approach something are often inconsistent and hesitant. The way the teen came in and first challenged you, then asked about Grimfang.....he seemed intent and focused on his purpose...whether it was proper or not.

Personally I thought you did a great job of handling the situation sir. :asian:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did this really happen, Carol? I thought it was a hypothetical situation :eek:.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did this really happen, Carol? I thought it was a hypothetical situation :eek:.

Out of respect for Sheldon and his school, I didn't add any details in the original post...or even hint to the idea that it actually happened. However, since he's shared the details...I can say yes, it did happen, and it happened when I was there.

Never saw someone try to challenge an MA instructor before...that was definitely a first.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:scrurries back to read the 'real' response:

Crikey! All I can say is, "Well done that man!" followed by :sensei rei:.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes folks it did happen the day before she posted the first post in thread

Yes it was asked as a hypothetical situation because as she said out of respect. I was going to keep out of the thread but got caught up in the thread.
I really wanted and still want people to say what they think about the situation so I could get a general idea of what others thought/think

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:scrurries back to read the 'real' response:

Crikey! All I can say is, "Well done that man!" followed by :sensei rei:.

Astoundingly well done. He sized up the situation beautifully and pushed back on the teen with enough mustard to open the young fellow's eyes a bit, but still made an honest attempt to bring him in to class and make an honest student out of him (with his parent's permission, naturally).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BTW the young man has NOT returned as of yet but maybe he will and hopefuly he will take part or at least watch a full class or two

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I cross my fingers that he does - it sounds as if he needs to learn a few things both martial and social and walked into the right place for both :tup:.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Astoundingly well done. He sized up the situation beautifully and pushed back on the teen with enough mustard to open the young fellow's eyes a bit, but still made an honest attempt to bring him in to class and make an honest student out of him (with his parent's permission, naturally).

Carol, you have performed an excellent service (one of so many) in bringing this story to public notice, and in doing so in a way respectful and acceptable.

Ts.... many can write high sounding posts from an easy chair. You walked the walk, and did that despite what must have been considerable provocation. Now THAT is what a sensei should be and should do.

All we seem to hear of in life are the phony sokes, the McDojo's, the mindless violence, the inflated 20th dans.... but then, there's this. Even a jaded individual such as I feel a little better about the state of the arts and the society after reading this.