a quick Kiai question

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
1)And what qualifies you as an expert, cause from what I can gather you have never studied Kiai Jitsu, so what makes you the authority. Have you not seen sound for healing (I am sure you have being in TCM and all), well let me see here if it can be used for healing than it can be used for killing. Make sense, my point being that you are to quick to jump to cunclusions on things, if you don't do it then it is crap (at least that is what I get from you), or is that if DKI does it that it is crap either way is a stupid way to think. Stay open to new things, if you don't then you will never be able to grow as a Martial Artist. At the end of "The Mighty Atom" Ed Spielman wrote "The difference between people like Joseph Greenstien, SLim Farman, etc isn't the fact that there wasnt' anything that they couldn't accomplish, but you couldn't tell them that" they knew that they could do anything if they set there mind to it. Your mind can do extroardinary things, if you woul stop blocking it and start retraining it than you may see what I am talking about.

Have a good day sir

1) Believe me I would never admit to knowing kiaijutsu :rolleyes: let alone claim to be an expert in it!
Show me what it can heal.
Prove that it works in an actual fight.
You say it works.......prove it. Prove it on someone that is in no way connected to your organization and has no idea what your are going to do to them.........actually that is not going to be good enough.....I think I am going to have to have someone try it on me.....granted I will be trying to knock their friggin teeth down the back of their throat while they try and make their "kill noise"....so it may get kind of muffles with my fist blocking the way of the sound coming out of their mouth.....best of luck to them.

To quote you:
Kiai should be taught in every art it is very important to know it can help with healing and fighting.

I don't have to be a gormet chef to know what taste good and what tastes like garbage........

Actually, come to think of it you were asked in another post about it's effectiveness in a real fight and you said it wasn't actually for fighting but something you guys were "playing around" with.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
1) Believe me I would never admit to knowing kiaijutsu :rolleyes: let alone claim to be an expert in it!
Show me what it can heal.
Prove that it works in an actual fight.
You say it works.......prove it. Prove it on someone that is in no way connected to your organization and has no idea what your are going to do to them.........actually that is not going to be good enough.....I think I am going to have to have someone try it on me.....granted I will be trying to knock their friggin teeth down the back of their throat while they try and make their "kill noise"....so it may get kind of muffles with my fist blocking the way of the sound coming out of their mouth.....best of luck to them.

To quote you:
Kiai should be taught in every art it is very important to know it can help with healing and fighting.

I don't have to be a gormet chef to know what taste good and what tastes like garbage........

Actually, come to think of it you were asked in another post about it's effectiveness in a real fight and you said it wasn't actually for fighting but something you guys were "playing around" with.
No now you are confusing conversations at that time we were talking about No-touch. Like I have always said you are more than welcome to come down to find out if it works.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
No now you are confusing conversations at that time we were talking about No-touch. Like I have always said you are more than welcome to come down to find out if it works.

Yes, I guess I did get those two bogus things confused.
Either way I am sure neither will work in a REAL situation.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:

If time and travel permit I will take you up on that offer even though it sounds like the typical "Internet Challenge".

So I will make you a deal....while you are standing there doing your "kill scream" at me or waving your hands around trying to do a "no touch KO" I will give you about a nano-second before I pop you a good one. Think you can get that stuff to work in time....... :rolleyes:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gentelmen Please refrain from where this conversation is and already has gone.

It is starting to border on challenges and as you both know they are frowned upon in this forum

Now on the subject of Kiai when you punch high or low is your tone different or do you just yell as powerfuly as you can? I have noticed that many practioners of the martial arts change their tone or pitch depending on the angle of their strike. Then again I have also seen people who never knew they yelled in situations because they yell or kiai came from them as a natural reaction to what they where doing.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
It is starting to border on challenges and as you both know they are frowned upon in this forum

Not really a "challenge" but what I said does kind of put what he is trying to claim into perspective.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Vadim said:
We use the kiai in my style to add power to a technique and it can also serve to startle an attacker by calling attention to the situation.-Vadim

This is the most practical use for kiai. Scream in someone’s face and it usually scares the bajeezaz out of them…….when performing kiai it also tightens the abdomen muscles which help to strengthen technique and are the basis for almost every technique and everything thing we do. It’s interesting to note that many asian cultures equivocate ones abdomen with power and spirit.
Japanese for example have literaly 100's of words that make use of some form of the word "hara" = abdomen.....
example: a person of "big hara" is said to be very easy going where a person of "little hara" is said to be devious, petty or weak willed,

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Gentelmen Please refrain from where this conversation is and already has gone.

Now on the subject of Kiai when you punch high or low is your tone different or do you just yell as powerfuly as you can? I have noticed that many practioners of the martial arts change their tone or pitch depending on the angle of their strike. Then again I have also seen people who never knew they yelled in situations because they yell or kiai came from them as a natural reaction to what they where doing.
Yes, there are different tones for different areas, there is also different sounds but to keep it simple, try this experiment have a partner hold a pad and hit them as hard as you can with a regular Kiai, now have the same person hold the pad (depending on the thickness of the pad if its thin then use less force if it is thick use the same force)this time say Ho but yell it and project if you wish project your regular Kiai as well post your findings.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thoughts. The Ahhhhhhh is internal breathing for inner strenght releasing the air for power (slow) Isometrics,body is tense. making the muscles stronger.

For the hiss just when punch lands we let out a loud air rushing sound,the hiss to get maximun power, almost for the same reason as a kiai,but not as powerful. To make sure we are breathing out at the end of the hit. the noise helps to remind you.

I know there is more to this..Please let us hear more?...Still learning...Aloha