A question concerning ugliness.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do not believe that there is someone in this world that speaks the truth 100% at all times.

But claiming something you did, which you didn't goes further than a white-collared lie!
No need for exposure, a silent ban is good enough.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, instead of banning them, give them a "scarlet letter".
It could be a replacement for their avatar, that basically says this person is a liar, or, have an automatic disclaimer that appears with their every post that says 'this post should be taken with a grain of salt because they have lied about serving in the military'

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or, instead of banning them, give them a "scarlet letter".
It could be a replacement for their avatar, that basically says this person is a liar, or, have an automatic disclaimer that appears with their every post that says 'this post should be taken with a grain of salt because they have lied about serving in the military'
hmmm......TO be honest, I like it.....but I dunno if it'd fit our culture here.
:D

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see one of the major problems in the martial arts world is people claiming things that are false. While I don't think actively trying to out everyone as a fraud is a good idea, when someone is uncovered as a fraud there should be repurcussions. If there are no consequences to being caught lying, in a way we are telling those people it is okay.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm oddly ambivilant about it.

I can spot "PX Soldiers" pretty quickly and tend to ignore them. Overall though, I've learned to read the forums for quite a bit to get a feel for an individual posters content before I really grant any real creedance to what they are saying.

A persons belt rank is pretty meaningless to me, real or imagined, I read what they write and judge it based on its own merits.

I support whatever position that you take on the matter, Bob, with the caveat that one of the reasons I enjoy Martial Talk as well as Kenpotalk, is the atmosphere. I think it is too easy to get overly distracted in fraud busting untill that takes away from the rest of the quality of the site by changing its focus. If I want that then I can just hop over to Bullshido.

Verification of military service is pretty easy to accomplish, as is rank verification(in theory). Is it worth the time and hassle to do so?

Just my view,
Mark

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I have no love for such people, I don't really have any use for BS'rs in general regardless of topic and prefer to just keep my distance from them. I don't think it's in your interest to start making policy based on moral judgements. The "morale" meter moves constantly because we each have our own definition of what we find acceptable or deplorable. BS'rs will always come and go. If it's not for this, it's for that. If and when they get found out, they pretty much get called out, become isolated and leave anyway.

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
A few unpleasant things have recently come to my attention. Because of this, I'm looking for feedback from the membership before making a particular policy change.

The question is: Should MartialTalk refuse and/or revoke membership to those found to be falsely claiming to be military veterans, or falsely claiming military honors?

They should be "outed". If they claim false "honors" besides outed,
perhaps delete the "honor" claim. If they contonue, cut'em off!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The question is: Should MartialTalk refuse and/or revoke membership to those found to be falsely claiming to be military veterans, or falsely claiming military honors?
I would say yes.

Traditional m. a. training stresses honor and integrity. Lying about military service shows neither; such a person really has nothing of value to add.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say yes.

Traditional m. a. training stresses honor and integrity. Lying about military service shows neither; such a person really has nothing of value to add.
Part of me wants to disagree, but there was a guy claiming to be a vet who wasn't that came into a bar where I used to work and vets were pulling out knives to deal with the situation. I would say, as a result, that people claiming to be a vets that aren't have some sort of deathwish, and I don't think a person like that has much to offer, either
Sean.