A new experience

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, our gym manager let me know that one of the top MMA fighters in our gym (Portland) had a fight coming up but didn't have anyone coaching him to prepare for the match. This was a title challenge against a very tough and skilled opponent.

I wasn't sure whether Portland would be interested in my help, since I've never actually competed in MMA, but I volunteered and he enthusiastically accepted.

I started by reviewing as much video as I could find of his fights and those of his opponent. I identified the biggest technical flaws in his previous fights and analyzed his opponent's strengths and likely game plan. We only had a couple of weeks left to prepare, so I knew there was no time for Portland to learn new skillsets or make any drastic changes to his style. Instead, we worked on correcting a few consistent bad habits and preparing for the specific tactics we expected from his opponent.

We didn't have much in the way of sparring partners lined up for him, so I had to do most of the drilling and sparring with him as we prepped for specific situations. Given the disparity in our athletic attributes, I'm really glad that he has good control. I can hang with some of the beginning amateur fighters, but against a superbly conditioned fighter with 20 pro fights? He would have destroyed me if we were going hard.

On fight night, I worked his corner, the first time I've done that for an MMA match. Our preparations turned out to be completely on point, as his opponent did exactly what we expected him to do. Portland was able to retain most of what we had worked on in order to survive his opponent's offence in the first round (although I was worried a couple of times) and then dominate the subsequent rounds. After the fight he made a point of giving me a shout out in his victory speech.

Next week we're going to start back into training together. Since he will have at least a few months before his next match, we'll be able to start working on some new skill sets.

Overall, this was a fun new experience. I'm looking forward to exploring MMA coaching deeper. One lesson learned - next time I corner someone I'm going to warm up my voice beforehand. I was going hoarse from screaming instructions during the fight.
I'm not even surprised. Based on things you have analyzed here, I wouldn't have had any doubt in your ability. He did really good with defending against the knees. The guy in the red wanted to knee him so badly that he had tunnel vision. I could see that frustration of "If I can only get strike A,,,," Good defense on staying off the ground for as long as he did and good work on the RNC. He looked really calm.

I look forward on seeing the new skill sets you'll train him on. Congrats on your victory. Congrats on having a fighter that listens and trust in your ability.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tony, this is really cool. Congratulations to you and to Portland. Loved his head work during striking sections of the fight and his ability to avoid the ground and recover once there. No other comments, you’re hard thinking, study, and targeted strategic practice/guidance got him to a win and he looked great in there. I’m grateful to have experienced coaches like you on this forum.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
great work :) it sounds like you took the right items into account given the time frame.

Latest Discussions