A new experience

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, our gym manager let me know that one of the top MMA fighters in our gym (Portland) had a fight coming up but didn't have anyone coaching him to prepare for the match. This was a title challenge against a very tough and skilled opponent.

I wasn't sure whether Portland would be interested in my help, since I've never actually competed in MMA, but I volunteered and he enthusiastically accepted.

I started by reviewing as much video as I could find of his fights and those of his opponent. I identified the biggest technical flaws in his previous fights and analyzed his opponent's strengths and likely game plan. We only had a couple of weeks left to prepare, so I knew there was no time for Portland to learn new skillsets or make any drastic changes to his style. Instead, we worked on correcting a few consistent bad habits and preparing for the specific tactics we expected from his opponent.

We didn't have much in the way of sparring partners lined up for him, so I had to do most of the drilling and sparring with him as we prepped for specific situations. Given the disparity in our athletic attributes, I'm really glad that he has good control. I can hang with some of the beginning amateur fighters, but against a superbly conditioned fighter with 20 pro fights? He would have destroyed me if we were going hard.

On fight night, I worked his corner, the first time I've done that for an MMA match. Our preparations turned out to be completely on point, as his opponent did exactly what we expected him to do. Portland was able to retain most of what we had worked on in order to survive his opponent's offence in the first round (although I was worried a couple of times) and then dominate the subsequent rounds. After the fight he made a point of giving me a shout out in his victory speech.

Next week we're going to start back into training together. Since he will have at least a few months before his next match, we'll be able to start working on some new skill sets.

Overall, this was a fun new experience. I'm looking forward to exploring MMA coaching deeper. One lesson learned - next time I corner someone I'm going to warm up my voice beforehand. I was going hoarse from screaming instructions during the fight.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome! Cool that you're analysis/fight plan was on point, and you'll keep on working with him.

Sidenote, I thought at first you were saying the gym was in portland, or the match, and that you had gone quite a way to train this guy. Took me a bit to realize portland was his name...

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes awesome!!!! glad the outcome worked in your favor. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry I can only “like” this post instead of “love” it.

A new direction for your career, perhaps?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice work. What we do to mitigate the disparity of skill athleticism is have multiple guys and work positions.

So you can just wrestle him to death for 30 seconds or so. Then someone else cuts in.

We I'll do pad work then wrestling. Or sparring then positional escapes.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice work. What we do to mitigate the disparity of skill athleticism is have multiple guys and work positions.

So you can just wrestle him to death for 30 seconds or so. Then someone else cuts in.

We I'll do pad work then wrestling. Or sparring then positional escapes.
We do similar.
One person stand up striking, one person to make the fighter work from the bottom, one person to work against the wall with, one on bottom to do work from the top, switching out every 30 seconds for 6 minute rounds.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great experience, Tony! Must have been fun and enlightening - perhaps for both of you. Great strategy in not trying to introduce new skills that would probably only cause confusion.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is very awesome!!! This is motivating me more to want to coach a buddy of mine and go in the Ring or Cage and do my one MMA Fight :) Keep at it man!!!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah that's so awesome to hear Tony :). Would be such a great experience, and congrats on your fighter winning, very encouraging!

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the fight. I'm the guy in the black Carlson Gracie t-shirt behind Portland.

The commentators table was on the side closer to the opponent's corner, so their microphone is only picking up the other corner's instructions. I can't hear my own voice, which is probably a mixed blessing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
nice fight. The promoters could work on their production quality though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the fight. I'm the guy in the black Carlson Gracie t-shirt behind Portland.

The commentators table was on the side closer to the opponent's corner, so their microphone is only picking up the other corner's instructions. I can't hear my own voice, which is probably a mixed blessing.
He fought hard for that one. Nice work at the end of round 2, and in fighting off those RNCs. He's clearly a lot tougher than I am (though, since I'm TMA trained, I can obviously kick his butt quite easily if they'd just let me use my death techniques in the cage).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, our gym manager let me know that one of the top MMA fighters in our gym (Portland) had a fight coming up but didn't have anyone coaching him to prepare for the match. This was a title challenge against a very tough and skilled opponent.

I wasn't sure whether Portland would be interested in my help, since I've never actually competed in MMA, but I volunteered and he enthusiastically accepted.

I started by reviewing as much video as I could find of his fights and those of his opponent. I identified the biggest technical flaws in his previous fights and analyzed his opponent's strengths and likely game plan. We only had a couple of weeks left to prepare, so I knew there was no time for Portland to learn new skillsets or make any drastic changes to his style. Instead, we worked on correcting a few consistent bad habits and preparing for the specific tactics we expected from his opponent.

We didn't have much in the way of sparring partners lined up for him, so I had to do most of the drilling and sparring with him as we prepped for specific situations. Given the disparity in our athletic attributes, I'm really glad that he has good control. I can hang with some of the beginning amateur fighters, but against a superbly conditioned fighter with 20 pro fights? He would have destroyed me if we were going hard.

On fight night, I worked his corner, the first time I've done that for an MMA match. Our preparations turned out to be completely on point, as his opponent did exactly what we expected him to do. Portland was able to retain most of what we had worked on in order to survive his opponent's offence in the first round (although I was worried a couple of times) and then dominate the subsequent rounds. After the fight he made a point of giving me a shout out in his victory speech.

Next week we're going to start back into training together. Since he will have at least a few months before his next match, we'll be able to start working on some new skill sets.

Overall, this was a fun new experience. I'm looking forward to exploring MMA coaching deeper. One lesson learned - next time I corner someone I'm going to warm up my voice beforehand. I was going hoarse from screaming instructions during the fight.

Impressive. Speaks highly of you skills and reputation. Great job.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good fight...but.
Does your fighter do any kicking? Never kicked in this fight and only 1 knee in rd 1, 2 in rd 2 with only 2 elbows as well. Rd 3 again no kicks, one knee, no elbows.
Tough man but really needs to work his knees when clinched and short snipping elbows, several opportunities when on top and pressing into the jaw with the arm.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good fight...but.
Does your fighter do any kicking? Never kicked in this fight and only 1 knee in rd 1, 2 in rd 2 with only 2 elbows as well. Rd 3 again no kicks, one knee, no elbows.
Tough man but really needs to work his knees when clinched and short snipping elbows, several opportunities when on top and pressing into the jaw with the arm.

Not with your back to the cage if you want to stay standing.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good fight...but.
Not much. He had thrown some kicks in previous fights without good effect because he wasn’t setting them up correctly. I did a little work with him on improving his kicks, but there wasn’t time before the fight for him to get comfortable with them.