Got trichaki kick from my master

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Im new here,i like this site so i decided to be here a long time and this is my first thread.
I study taekwondo,im the best student in my club said my Master to me.
But I got a question for you all,nothin special.
I was sparring with my master last hmm maybe 2-3 months ago...and yeah I know he is faster and stronger then me,but it goes so fast,like I had a real streetfight or somethin,I tried to make a high kick to him,and he gave me a trichaki kick in my rips...i lost my breath,I couldnt breath...i was like drunk and fall off...he grabed my hands and said to me "Breath breath son,try to straigh up your hands up and down"...but I couldnt...and in some ways i had a different feeling about this,i was thinking about his whole day.
Is it right that he kicked the breath outta me?
I made strange noise when I lost my breath... :/
Thx.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if he was knocking the wind out of you a LOT I would say you have cause for concern.

But, just once in awhile? Nah. He probably was just off by an inch or so and caught you a little harder than intended.

Also, the more abdominal conditioning you do combined with learning to exhale forcefully (with a kihap, is usually best) as you are hit in the solar plexus or ribs will help this happen a lot less often.

By the time I tested for my first degree black (in taekwondo), my TKD instructor would occasionally hit me in the center of my chest so hard with a sidekick that it would pick me up and move me back two or three feet and I would not lose my breath.

Learning to absorb a hard body shot is something that is, well, kind of painful to learn, but is VERY important to self defense, in my opinion.

Heavy contact sparring is something that can be a little scary, and it isn't for everybody, but for ME it is something I am VERY glad my instructor did with me. And we went HARD sometimes — like you said, "like a real streetfight or something" except that we bowed and shook hands afterwards.

The alternative is to find yourself in a self-defense situation and be completely unprepared for the type of contact that you get in a fight.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with what happened. He obviously did not intend any harm, since he stopped and helped you afterward. That does not always happen. zDom is right, be glad for the heavy sparring. It is very helpful when you are in tight situations.

Be glad that nothing serious came out of it. I have had students walk out with broken ribs, noses, arms and various other parts. Heavy sparringcomes at a high price, but it can be very rewarding.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Im new here,i like this site so i decided to be here a long time and this is my first thread.
I study taekwondo,im the best student in my club said my Master to me.
But I got a question for you all,nothin special.
I was sparring with my master last hmm maybe 2-3 months ago...and yeah I know he is faster and stronger then me,but it goes so fast,like I had a real streetfight or somethin,I tried to make a high kick to him,and he gave me a trichaki kick in my rips...i lost my breath,I couldnt breath...i was like drunk and fall off...he grabed my hands and said to me "Breath breath son,try to straigh up your hands up and down"...but I couldnt...and in some ways i had a different feeling about this,i was thinking about his whole day.
Is it right that he kicked the breath outta me?
I made strange noise when I lost my breath... :/
Thx.

It is hard to say as there are more questions about what happend than what you have told us.

Did you mean Twi (twit, or Dwi) ch'agi - Back kick?
If he is a Master Instructor 4th Dan or above then this basic of a kick should not have been an acident. If it was, then I question his rank as a master. One of the basic rules is. If you throw a technique, then you are responsible for it.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with zDom as well. While I studied Judo when we reached brown belt the teacher would throw amazingly hard. The reason was that if you don't understand "rough" you will freeze when it happens for real instead of rolling with it.

Latest Discussions