A guy tried to pick a fight with me

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night on my was home from a night club a guy tried to pick a fight with me. If it had happened a few months ago I prob would have hit him and run. Although I am now better able to defend myself I just talked my way out of it and continued on my journey. Must have learned a bit of self control too! All proud of myself.

Good for you! I think that's a serious lesson alot of schools do not teach - discipline, restraint and obligation. When you train in an art to the point where you know you're dangerous it's your responsibility to know when it's best to step away. What starts as a push can end in a fatality. All it takes is one hit to accidentally collapse a trachea or bust a rib thus puncturing a lung. Anything can happen.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you! I think that's a serious lesson alot of schools do not teach - discipline, restraint and obligation. When you train in an art to the point where you know you're dangerous it's your responsibility to know when it's best to step away. What starts as a push can end in a fatality. All it takes is one hit to accidentally collapse a trachea or bust a rib thus puncturing a lung. Anything can happen.
Good points, and there are real world examples of this 'anything can happen' idea, where MAists face prison time when they only meant to defend themselves.

sinistersamuri

White Belt
Reaction score
having been arrested before i can relate. in a situation like and w discusions w my brothers i personally DO NOT allow people to get in my face for various reasons. mainly u do not know if they posses a weapon esp a knife these days.noone has picked a street fight in years (to bad huh)lol.anyways we tell people do not come any closer. if they continue in an aggresive manner and enter my reach, i will not hesitate to let my hands go. we have done some aiki w spikes and some stickjitsu that being said and the way people behave these days.i would not fight unless i had to usually. keep in mind on the street that people are animals somtimes. dont underestimate the bad decisions of an ignorant man

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
very well done it shows discipline and self controll. you refusing to fight also showed your dignity and honor too. very pleased

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well done.

As Sun Tzu said:
Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like everyone else here, proud of you and thank you for reaffirming for all of us the true martial artist's spirit.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
u should be proud.

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun Tzu

"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu

tad2bad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nicely done. Self control is one of the hardest things to learn and it is great that you have attained it. Keep up the good work, and good luck.

Latest Discussions