A good comeback?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
So my mom (And countless others) often try to belittle my martial arts training by ALWAYS SAYING "Well what if the attacker had a gun?"

It sickens me, and mostly I say "Well then I'd die, wouldn't I?" or "What if he doesn't?"

Now I'm sure neither of them are good enough to shut them up (No matter how true), but what should I say that would make them see things from my point of view, once and for all, that just because people MIGHT have a gun doesn't mean they WILL?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
So my mom (And countless others) often try to belittle my martial arts training by ALWAYS SAYING "Well what if the attacker had a gun?"

It sickens me, and mostly I say "Well then I'd die, wouldn't I?" or "What if he doesn't?"

Now I'm sure neither of them are good enough to shut them up (No matter how true), but what should I say that would make them see things from my point of view, once and for all, that just because people MIGHT have a gun doesn't mean they WILL?

Don't have the answer for you, but I know the way I look at it.

So... he may be better armed, I may be outnumbered, he may be a better fighter, he may just blindside me. Does any or all of that mean that I should just resign myself to becoming a victim any time trouble pops up? Or, should I get the best preparation I can, train as hard as I can, develop all the awareness I can? I've chosen the latter. But that's just me.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story once told to me by a good Russian friend.
One night two hunters where sitting by their fire when
One asked the other what you would do if a bear showed up and attacked them.
The hunter replied “I would take my rifle and shoot it”

“Ah” the other hunter replied,” but what if you had no rifle?”
“Then I would grab a big stick from this fire and hit the bear with it!” replied his friend.

“Well what if you did not have a fire?” his friend then asked.
After a short thought the hunter asked indignantly “whose side are you on anyways, Mine or the bears?”

People can what if you to death if you let them.
A simple answer to what if they have a gun is to ask what kind of gun. After getting as many details as you wish, then simply say that would be good as you do not yet have one of those in your collection.

Brian King

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I'd tell them that i deal with "what is" rather than "what if". And if you enjoy yr art, who cares what they think anyway?
icon7.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well what if the attacker had a gun?"

Then someone that trains in MA stands a MUCH better chance of getting themselves away from the muzzle than someone that doesn't train.

Bullets get fired in the direction the muzzle is pointed. To survive the attack, you don't have to disarm the attacker. You just have to make sure you're not where the gun is pointed ;)

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score

You might want to ask them why people put on seatbelts when they would die anyways if the car blew up.

And when they say that cars don't blow up as often as people get killed having their head bashed in on the dashboard, point out that even today you are more likely to face someone without a gun than with.

Tell them you are looking at a more realistic scenario like a guy trying to beat you up because he thinks you were looking at his girlfriend rather than a fantasy superman situation.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

I could give you any number of harsh comebacks - and I'd be doing you a disservice.

Your profile says you are 17, and that is always a hard time for parents and their children - who are now almost adults. You don't need a comment to slap Mom down, you need something that will show friends and family that the Martial Arts are turning you into a responsible and thinking adult.

I would tell them that Martial Arts are showing you just how dangerous attackers and weapons can be. (We don't expect medicine to be perfect - aspirin cannot cure cancer, but it is still useful for many other sicknesses. Same for martial arts). I'd tell them that I have learned to walk away from needless fights - because the other guy might have a gun, or better MA skills than I, or he might just get lucky.

If you have to fight, martial arts can give the skills necessary to keep her child alive. What mother isn't in favor of that?

Tell your parents Martial Arts teach many things besides fighting - like social responsibility and respect for authority.

Finally, use you MA skills at home as well - your dojo teaches you to avoid needless fights and inflaming conflicts, doesn't it? Rather than fighting them with sarcastic wisecracks... educate them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could try the line of "Things will get real interesting then" in response to what if he has a gun...

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you can say "well Id probably crap myself. This would then disrtact them and allow me to take away the gun" :p

B

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually answer a question like that with a question
What if I'm crossing the street and some drunk comes speeding around the corner? What if I fall down the stairs? What if I get hit by a meteor? What if I'm driving over a bridge and it collapses? What if my attacker does have a gun, and my only option is to stand there and let him shoot me?

I like what if games, it makes you think of the options, and helps you prepare for situatiions and realize that sometimes there aren't any options, but you have to live for conditions as they are right now, worrying about the what if's and the how it used to be's is just a waste of time.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You might want to ask them why people put on seatbelts when they would die anyways if the car blew up.

And when they say that cars don't blow up as often as people get killed having their head bashed in on the dashboard, point out that even today you are more likely to face someone without a gun than with.

Tell them you are looking at a more realistic scenario like a guy trying to beat you up because he thinks you were looking at his girlfriend rather than a fantasy superman situation.

Great response....this is an exellent way of illustrating probablity in every day life.

I also really like this "crap in my pants response"

I will save both in my aresenal when (yet again) I am asked this same questions. :asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get asked this type of question all the time... what if he has a gun? What if he has a knife? What if there are 2 of them? What if there are 6 of them? As has been pointed out, there will always be another "what if", and lots of people get that question. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to train than not - under the coat theory: it's better to have a coat and not need, than to need a coat and not have it. Likewise, it's better to be trained and not need it, than need to be trained and not be.

The awareness that you should be learning alongside the physical training is intended to help you avoid situations before you need to use any other training; the physical fitness will serve you well in any situation, as will the discipline of staying with the training regardless of the difficulty. Remember that you are training for you - not for anyone else - so you're the only one that matters.

As far as your mother asking you this type of question - mothers worry. It's what they do... it's because she loves you. From her perspective, she may be concerned that you (like so many teens) will see yourself as invincible because of your training, and wants to be sure that you know you're not - so your best response to her would be to assure her that you're not going to go looking for trouble, and that you'll avoid it whenever you can.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I began training at 14 years old. My dad never really appreciated my training, either. In fact, the 2 things that I studied (MA & Christianity) became the 2 subjects we didn't talk about much. I suspect it was because he felt it was because I knew more about them than he did.

I agree with those who say "focus on what 'is' rather than 'what if." In 25 years of training, I've never been in a fight on the street. I still train against knives so that I can learn & because it's fun. Enjoy your training. Hopefully, they'll come around.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could explain to her that each scenario is different; that, through training, you seek to reduce the number of scenarios which end in your demise; and that, yes, an opponent with a gun is one possible scenario in which MA will be of limited use.

Or you can tell her that you'll catch the bullet with your teeth.
icon6.gif

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You could simply ask in return, "why is my mother (friend, etc.) trying to belittle what I love?" and leave it at that...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best answer is this "And you have NO training, so what if they have fists, and attack YOU?" It proves that you are better off against fists then they are, and you are both in the same boat for guns. Besides, they don't have Kata to figure out how to diffend against guns.

Ultimatly, the "what if's" are good. If you never question, you are just a blind follower. A friend of mine is in corrections. He says that the people who never ask "what if" are the ones who freeze up, and fail there yearly examinations.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

"What if" them on everything they say for a while until they get the message.
Sean

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at them very seriously and say "you no what? the thought of some attacking me with a gun or any kind weapon has never crossed my mind. In fact I never imagined that I could get ambushed at any second while walking down the street. I need to do so research and figure out a way to defend myself incase I am attacked."

Say all that and then just walk away. They silence left in the wake of your speech will almost surely make you laugh thats why you need to leave

:p

B

Latest Discussions