Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Girl-dash-a? ;)

When I was a a wee kitten I read a book called A Girl Without A Name (or something like that). It was a fictional story about a teen who was one of a gazillion daughters and named "Girlie" because her father "ran out of names" to name his daughters. Yah. IIRC, the rest of the book was just as depressing.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I learned something new though....the Icelandic alphabet has 32 letters...and no C....Poor Carol....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Icelanders are a very enterprising lot, I'm sure they will work something out that suits everyone. They aren't the world's oldest democracy for nothing. They will come up with a compromise that leaves everyone happy.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And they have stunning scenery, limitless natural power and some of the best looking people in the world to enhance the view ... I can only speak for one half of the population on that last point of course :innocent:

Here's an intriguing article on that subject, written by an American chap I believe: http://pbebus.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/on-icelandic-women/

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
For her work with saga, she has been given the honorary name Carol Karlsdottir by the Icelandic-Canadian community. She believes “storytellers come and go.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they have stunning scenery, limitless natural power and some of the best looking people in the world to enhance the view ... I can only speak for one half of the population on that last point of course :innocent:

Here's an intriguing article on that subject, written by an American chap I believe: http://pbebus.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/on-icelandic-women/

LOl, that thing with the drinks? it happens everywhere. so does shoving in a nightclub, ask any doorman trying to get to a situation.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned something new though....the Icelandic alphabet has 32 letters...and no C....Poor Carol....

You do not know how badly I want to go to Iceland for a long weekend. In the winter. I see the ads for Icelandic Air (easy flight from Boston) mocking me....LOL!! Can't change what's on my passport but they could call me Kaeril if they wanted to. Hell if I could finally go, they could call me Olaf if that made a difference. :lol:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know it's wrong to generalise but as a teacher for too many years some kids names can be predictive.
A Chardonnay will usually struggle where a Hesther will flourish and Darrens need watching as a rule.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They aren't the only country to do this, but I have to say it doesn't sit well with me! On the otehr hand parents do occasionally abuse their privilege in naming kids with names that the parents find funny or political at the time but may wear poorly over 80 years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the law forcing a name list on people. After all, you can nickname your kids anything you want. I would hate to face a jury with a legal name like, Ice Pick. :)
Sean

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The laws on Icelandic names.
http://new.ahus.is/?page_id=193&lang=en

legal names for girls http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listi_yfir_íslensk_eiginnöfn_kvenmanna

It seems there is a way around unusual names, a committee of language and grammatical experts will sit and decide on any name put to them, the girl's mother could have done that at the time she named her. The mother has let this drag on for nearly fifteen years.

Makes you wonder.

It has been hinted at that the name had been approved back in 73....
I am not considering characters in books as source though...even though I am sure we will see a boat load of 'Katniss' and such in years to come.

The poor commity's heads would explode if they had to deal with the load of Precious, Princess (harmless, really) L-a and (seriously, honest to goodness, people told me they have seen kids with that name!) Gonorrhea.....
(Is there anything wrong with Peter, Paul and/or Mary?!!)

I do recall though that German officials allowed a kid to be called after this tho:
NF1-20ObstbaeumePasstauf.jpg

However funny and adorable...it is retarded when the guy is well grown.....(but it was only a middle name...)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure if it is bad as the Mother who recently named her baby girl Hashtag

Neither the name in question not Pumuckl is as bad as Hashtag....
Although, it is not as bad as some....makes you really wonder!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They aren't the only country to do this, but I have to say it doesn't sit well with me! On the otehr hand parents do occasionally abuse their privilege in naming kids with names that the parents find funny or political at the time but may wear poorly over 80 years.

It doesn't sit well with me either. There are cases in this country where a minor has been able to change their name after being stuck with a bloody embarrassing name. Wasn't there a girl stuck with a name like "Toolah does the Hula from Hawaii" from a few years ago? I think that was one of those cases.

But to be honest, I think more kids her are facing what a friend's child is facing. The child who was named primarily by a parent who exists, but no longer in the picture. The child's name is a reference to (family) politics on the absent parent's side. The child is now 16 and wants to change their name, but cannot readily do so since their state law requires 2 parent consent except under very specific circumstances.

Certainly, the minor will be 18 years of age in less than 24 months and can change their name without the consent of either parent. But lots of big things are going to be happening in those 24 months. The big standardized tests, the scholarship and college applications, the high school transcripts the like will all be under their birth name. The child happens to be a very good student and is worried that confusion over a name change may hurt their chances of earning a scholarship or getting in to the college of their choice.

I don't think more government red tape is the answer, but I have to say I feel for the kids who are in a situation like that.