A few perfect techniques

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say that in competition, variety is much more important, especially in the modern era when people study video of their opponents in order to figure out their patterns and whatnot. So constant variety is more important.

In self defense, if you did the exact same thing in defending yourself against five different attackers on five different occasions who all happened to attack you in the same way, that is a victory in all cases. Variety doesn’t matter so much. Nobody gets points for creativity in self defense.

Sort of. Being predictable isn't so important if you are really good at it.

Hence back to MMA people are still getting taken down and choked out with double legs and RNCs.

Francis ngannou basically does the same thing each time.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just for clarification, I wasn't suggesting just learning and practicing 2 techniques to use in a fight. I meant 2 techniques for dealing with each specific situation occurring in a fight. For example, 2 ways of dealing with an arm grab, 2 ways to block a low kick, 2 ways to deal with the opponent circling you, etc. There may be, as I said, 3 or 5 ways to deal with each of these, but 2 would suffice.

I hope these details help to better explain my thoughts.
Thanks for clarification. I definitely read it wrong.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you mean the upper cut then I would say he's just exploiting the fact that no one is learning to train against the uppercut. There's literally a big gap to punch through for uppercuts because of how our bodies are design. There are ways to defend against it, but from what I saw they didn't. I know of 2 ways to close that gap. If someone is going to constantly give you that gap then take it. I do. I almost by default, assume that gap will be there because I know very few people outside of boxing actually train to defend against an uppercut.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you mean the upper cut then I would say he's just exploiting the fact that no one is learning to train against the uppercut. There's literally a big gap to punch through for uppercuts because of how our bodies are design. There are ways to defend against it, but from what I saw they didn't. I know of 2 ways to close that gap. If someone is going to constantly give you that gap then take it. I do. I almost by default, assume that gap will be there because I know very few people outside of boxing actually train to defend against an uppercut.

I am going to assume every top level ufc fighter has probably trained to defend an upper cut and that there are probably other forces at play.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am going to assume every top level ufc fighter has probably trained to defend an upper cut and that there are probably other forces at play.
Here's what I see regardless of skill level. When a person guards there arms form a tent. They cover their heads and their elbows flare out causing their arms to look like the picture below..
385540-200.png

The gap at the bottom is where the uppercut enters. This is the gap that I exploit because most people don't know who to properly defend against it. You can see it here.

Do a quick youtube search on defending against an upper cut and you'll see how little your find.

I wouldn't suggest any of these unless you have big gloves on. Big gloves cover more space. These techniques won't work on MMA gloves. I tried to find upper cut defense taught by someone who is doing it with mma gloves and I couldn't find it. Maybe you can so I can take take a look

there are probably other forces at play.
There is correct as well. The punch travels outside of the field of vision so it literally disappears from your opponents sight. The point that we can't see is located right where that gap is. I exploit that gap all the time with the big circular punches that you've seen me do .

I would most like say that top MMA fighter exploit this gap often as well. If you watch MMA fights with upper cuts to the head you'll see the majority travel through this gap.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of. Being predictable isn't so important if you are really good at it.

Hence back to MMA people are still getting taken down and choked out with double legs and RNCs.

Everyone knew sort of what to expect from Bill Wallace, too. He had some primary attacks that were his most dangerous. A few other tools helped make those more difficult to stop, but opponents knew what his tools were.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is correct as well. The punch travels outside of the field of vision so it literally disappears from your opponents sight.

Right. Being a close in type of punch coming from below, it is harder to see and defend. When punches are raining down on you head, especially coming from the outside, your guard will raise and separate to block them, providing a nice avenue for the uppercut to enter. Keeping the elbows closer together can close this opening up, but that does open up the liver & spleen for hooks. Well, nothing's perfect I suppose.

Regarding your comment on how some find it hard to learn to defend certain attacks, Joe Lewis comes to mind. He vanquished opponent after opponent with his side kick, often scoring multiple side kicks on the same experienced opponent. Did they just underestimate his (amazing) skill with this technique? Did they not know to get off line or work closer in? He did have other tools - he just seldom needed them. Admittedly, in those days, karate competition was largely linear and power oriented - exactly Lewis' strong points.

Old advice - Be flexible in your defensive tactics, and avoid giving the opponent opportunities to use his strengths or exploit your weaknesses. Much easier said than done.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everyone knew sort of what to expect from Bill Wallace, too. He had some primary attacks that were his most dangerous. A few other tools helped make those more difficult to stop, but opponents knew what his tools were.
I think the rules of the competition made it impossible to choose the "best tool" for what Bill Wallace used. So much of the time you are left with the "next best allowable thing." For example, the best tool against a boxer is probably kicking and grappling, which are illegal in boxing, so you are left with the "next best allowable thing."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's what I see regardless of skill level. When a person guards there arms form a tent. They cover their heads and their elbows flare out causing their arms to look like the picture below..
385540-200.png

The gap at the bottom is where the uppercut enters. This is the gap that I exploit because most people don't know who to properly defend against it. You can see it here.

Do a quick youtube search on defending against an upper cut and you'll see how little your find.

I wouldn't suggest any of these unless you have big gloves on. Big gloves cover more space. These techniques won't work on MMA gloves. I tried to find upper cut defense taught by someone who is doing it with mma gloves and I couldn't find it. Maybe you can so I can take take a look

There is correct as well. The punch travels outside of the field of vision so it literally disappears from your opponents sight. The point that we can't see is located right where that gap is. I exploit that gap all the time with the big circular punches that you've seen me do .

I would most like say that top MMA fighter exploit this gap often as well. If you watch MMA fights with upper cuts to the head you'll see the majority travel through this gap.

With smaller gloves the defence is mostly positional

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides dodging, is the counter to uppercut as simple as to push down your hand on top of your opponent's elbow joint?

arm-pin.jpg
I won't say right off the back but the answer is in this picture. Stand in front of the mirror in the guard position. The point is where your two hands protect your head. The base are where your elbows are located. Work on various ways to either make this space smaller or to change the shape of it. Don't just think of repositioning arms. There are ways to change the this shape without moving arms. I think people will soon discover the easiest way by doing this.
385540-200.png

Is for your picture and comment about pressing down on the elbow joint. My answer is. I don't know. I haven't tried that method and I don't know if palm up or palm down will affect pressing down on the elbow. I don't know how I would grab the elbow in this scenario.
arm-pin.jpg

This seems like something to do if I'm trying to stop the punching game and enter into a grappling one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Very true. But Bill’s greatest weapon was utilizing his education. A bachelors degree in physical education and a masters degree in kinesiology.

It why he was as flexible as he was and how he knew what you were likely to do before you did. And, man, did he make you pay.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very true. But Bill’s greatest weapon was utilizing his education. A bachelors degree in physical education and a masters degree in kinesiology.

It why he was as flexible as he was and how he knew what you were likely to do before you did. And, man, did he make you pay.
Speed kills.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uppercuts and shovel hooks (half uppercut, half hook)...those babies pay the rent.
Those were missing in my training. Took me a while to get workable versions to add to what I teach. Don't know why any style that has both strikes and grappling doesn't have those.

Latest Discussions