A different method of telling the Holocaust story

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Germany wanted to find a way to teach the young people about the Holocaust, and chose a comic book format [drawings are based upon photos and accounts of survivors]. It is just a different medium to explain history, yet many Jewish people find this to be offensive.

Videoclip from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/02/21/pleitgen.germany.nazi.comic.cnn

Do you feel the use of comic-book format (in creating drawings and using balloons to express thoughts and spoken words) is disrespectful and offensive? I know some people feel history is a difficult subject to handle, and using a different way in explaining may make it easier for the young people to understand.

In my opinion, drawings do not necessarily take away the seriousness nor gravity of a terrible time in world history. This understanding on a basic level may help lead the young ones to research more by going to photos and historical accounts. Thoughts?

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would agree with you. The ones who are taking offense to it are probably forgetting with who they're dealing with. Just as it was painful for the Jews that suffered it is painful for the Germans who have to live with their forefather's actions. Letting kids read in a format that is "comfortable" for them about an "uncomfortable" subject is a good introduction.
The allegations that not all the facts are shown may be right but from the video I cannot think of how not showing German soldiers pointing weapons at the prisoners or mixing deadly cyanide gas to be used to kill prisoners as "glossing over the facts".
Movies like Schindler's List are rare in their "close to accurate" depiction of the events of the 40's in central Europe. There are other films and they (as you said) can be made available to those desiring to learn more.
So long as it's not forgotten is the important thing. So long as it's not in denial of broad and specific events. So long as the truth is accepted and shown, then let it be in the format that at least children, who need to learn, understand history so it will not be repeated, will be "interested" in reading/pursuing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If they truthfully tell the story (History) of the Holocost it does not matter how they tell it as long as it is an honests account.

And depending on the age of the students it is more likely they will look at a comic book about it before they look at the average history book

And at least they are telling it, as far as I know, Japan has yet to admit they did something very similar in China during WW 2.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that the medium shouldn't be a problem here. I think the offense is coming from the perception of older adults that comic books are for kids, and are intrinsically less serious or important as an artistic medium. I would disagree on both counts. Comic books are mainly marketed to young men these days, and anyone that doubts the power or pathos that the medium can generate should read Maus and get back to me.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of you know that my husband and I own the local Christian book and Bible store in our town. We supply Bible study and Sunday School materials to about 90 different churches. I can't think of any subjects more serious than someone's eternal relationship with Almighty God, and one of my favorite things to make available is a comic-book Bible.

The fact is that many youngsters (guys age 8 - 15 especially) just don't read for pleasure, and many of them have reading difficulties. If the object is to get the subject matter out of the book and into the mind, then comics offer one more medium to reach a large group, IMHO.

Unless the comics are glorifying or trivializing the Holocaust, there should be no cause for offense.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I find it offensive? No. Do I see it as possibly "watering down" the events of the Holocaust? Yes, I do. When I was in religious school at the temple we belonged to when I was a kid, they showed us news reels - similar to the videos seen in the article... and they showed them to us in 6th and 7th grade, when we were 11-13 years old. It was done deliberately, to make an impact, so that we would understand how serious this issue was. To me, comic books do not convey the seriousness of this issue - but neither did an issue I saw that dealt with child abuse (parental battering)... which nonetheless was a good starting point for discussion and providing further information.

That last is, to me, the key. I have no problem with using the comic books to introduce the subject for further study - but if it is the only format in which the information is provided, then I do have a problem, just as I would have a problem with any other serious issue being presented solely in a comic book format. The realism of the news reels or actual photographs is just not present in the comic book format.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see any problems with it.

However, I suspect the ones complaining feel that the comics won't elicit the same emotional reactions. Just my opinion.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that the medium shouldn't be a problem here. I think the offense is coming from the perception of older adults that comic books are for kids, and are intrinsically less serious or important as an artistic medium. I would disagree on both counts. Comic books are mainly marketed to young men these days, and anyone that doubts the power or pathos that the medium can generate should read Maus and get back to me.

I came in here to say this.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, Maus was the first thing I thought of when I read Ceicei's OP.

It seems to me that the German approach could be not just a good one, but the soundest one of all, if the intention is to reach kids. Visual impact seems to become more and more important with each succeeding generation (I've read so many articles characterizing contemporary culture as visual rather than literary in its information-transmission basis that it's beginning to be almost a cliché). So if, as seems rational, you're trying to get your children and grandchildren to understand what happened in the past, and what horrors can happen unless an open society is preserved and defended fiercely, the medium the Germans have chosen seems hard to object to. As always, the key thing is how well it's implemented, ...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I find it offensive? No. Do I see it as possibly "watering down" the events of the Holocaust? Yes, I do. When I was in religious school at the temple we belonged to when I was a kid, they showed us news reels - similar to the videos seen in the article... and they showed them to us in 6th and 7th grade, when we were 11-13 years old. It was done deliberately, to make an impact, so that we would understand how serious this issue was. To me, comic books do not convey the seriousness of this issue - but neither did an issue I saw that dealt with child abuse (parental battering)... which nonetheless was a good starting point for discussion and providing further information.

That last is, to me, the key. I have no problem with using the comic books to introduce the subject for further study - but if it is the only format in which the information is provided, then I do have a problem, just as I would have a problem with any other serious issue being presented solely in a comic book format. The realism of the news reels or actual photographs is just not present in the comic book format.

I can only second Kacey feelings.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is actually a serious question

How would you all feel if they called it a Graphic Novel instead of a comic book?

Is it the view of what we see comic books as that is the problem or the fact they are using drawings and pictures to convey the story of the holocaust?

Any way they get the truth of history across to young people works for me.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

How would you all feel if they called it a Graphic Novel instead of a comic book?

Is it the view of what we see comic books as that is the problem or the fact they are using drawings and pictures to convey the story of the holocaust?

This is the core of the complaint really. Comic books have a childish and nonsensical reputation in the wider community. I suspect the people voicing disapproval have images of comic scenes or superheroes running through there heads.

The simple fact is that this particular medium has been used to connect with young people across a broad range of subjects - classical history, Shakespeare, WWI and WWII have all been presented in this format. I was first introduced to 18th and 19th century literature through a comic medium.

If you want younger people to begin to understand a subject then the comic book medium is a good place to start. It may pique an interest that leads to more in depth examination.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with those who say that Maus I and II definitively settled this issue. Yes, it can work and can be respectful.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well said.

It needs to be accompanied by actual footage. Drawings of people in the camps will never compare to seeing what they really looked like.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know of at least two individuals who learned to read or improved thier reading skills because comic books got them interested in reading.

My point being...if people are only given the option of historical clips, fewer may pay attention or actually learn from what they see. If you used a medium that is very visually oriented, or give that as an option, then you reach more people initially. THEN you can move from there.

Many have already pointed out the general misperception of the comic genre better than I could. But my thoughts are that it's better to get some interest and knowledge than none, and that a little knowledge can awaken a thirst for more.

I think it's already been stated, but I'll also emphasize that there is the very real obstacle of historical guilt. So isn't it better to build any bridges over those obstacles you can, rather than none at all?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I wouldn't care what they called it - and before you say I haven't seen the difference, I was a collector for many years, before the cost stopped me. As I said, I have no problem with using a graphic medium as the initial introduction - but at some point, the real images, in print, and even more in film, need to be shown as well.

Well said.

It needs to be accompanied by actual footage. Drawings of people in the camps will never compare to seeing what they really looked like.

This is my concern as well.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
i dont think that this is offensive. its meant to teach in a more interesting way. its not funny, its not trying to make light of the Holocaust its just a new way to teach in order to keep the kids more interested in it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
and before you say I haven't seen the difference, I was a collector for many years, before the cost stopped me.

Relax, take it easy, it’s all good; I’m not looking for an argument that would be in room 12A, just along the corridor :)

Kacey it was not an attack on you or anyone just a question and for the record I had no thought to respond in that way you suggested at all, I was just wondering about the wording.

It is sometimes rather interesting the way 2 different words that mean roughly the same thing can get very different reactions from us adults

Actually Germany is having a pretty difficult time teaching anything about the holocaust at the moment and getting kids to actually take it seriously, or that is at least my understanding. If this way works then that is a good thing and I agree with you that it is just an intro. But it may be the only way to get children to understand and to be honest I am not for showing young children graphic pictures from the holocaust, I do not think it would have the impact that adults hope for or that it has on adults. It would generally terrify them and give them no link to the event you are trying to teach them about

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Relax, take it easy, it’s all good; I’m not looking for an argument that would be in room 12A, just along the corridor :)

Kacey it was not an attack on you or anyone just a question and for the record I had no thought to respond in that way you suggested at all, I was just wondering about the wording.

Xue, I didn't take it personally, or even negatively - I just wanted to forestall a discussion of "but you don't know the difference between a comic book and a graphic novel" (which I've had in other contexts).

It is sometimes rather interesting the way 2 different words that mean roughly the same thing can get very different reactions from us adults

True.

Actually Germany is having a pretty difficult time teaching anything about the holocaust at the moment and getting kids to actually take it seriously, or that is at least my understanding. If this way works then that is a good thing and I agree with you that it is just an intro. But it may be the only way to get children to understand and to be honest I am not for showing young children graphic pictures from the holocaust, I do not think it would have the impact that adults hope for or that it has on adults. It would generally terrify them and give them no link to the event you are trying to teach them about

I'm not deriding the efforts of the German government to teach about the atrocities of the Holocaust. But no matter how well written the comic, I don't think it will enough by itself. I think that the true impact will not be felt by teens unless they are presented with graphic images, such as those seen in the liberation news reels, and the historical significance of the Holocaust is discussed, in complete, graphic, and disturbing detail - not because the adults presenting this volume are not taking it seriously, but because without that type of discussion and presentation of historical films and pictures, I don't think the teens will truly understand the immensity of the Holocaust - and I say that as a teacher. Many teens do not have the ability to abstract such events; they will nod, look horrified, and then go on about their day, when presented an abstract accounting, no matter how well written - only actual, historical visuals will truly impact their understanding. For me, it is a concern with level of intellectual maturity of those targeted by this medium, much more than it is a matter of the format of the information.

Latest Discussions