‘A Different Attitude:’ Gang Funerals Will Include Searches, Tight Security

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]‘A Different Attitude:’ Gang Funerals Will Include Searches, Tight Security[/h] [h=6]December 5, 2012 1:09 PM[/h]Updated 12/05/12 – 6:20 p.m.

CHICAGO (CBS)EXCERPT: – Mayor Rahm Emanuel says Chicago police are making strong moves to confront continuing city violence—which has included violent attacks at funerals.

The mayor expressed anger that people have been shooting and carrying guns at gang-member funerals.
“The police department is going to change the way they deal with gang funerals,” he said. “If you cannot respect a place of worship, at a time of a funeral, we are going to show a different type of attitude.”
The funerals will be treated as “gang events,” with mourners being searched and patted down, among other security measures.

Just last week, 21-year-old gang member Sherman Miller was slain on the steps of St. Columbanus Church, at the funeral of another gang member.
“Gang funerals are going to be treated different, because there’s no respect shown,” the mayor said.
The new tactics were on display Tuesday at Miller’s funeral, with police out in force, carrying automatic weapons.
But the plan has drawn some mixed reactions.
END EXCERPT
Had Rahm been chief of staff to a Republican, there would be screams of racism, gnashing of teeth and beating of breasts.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
they should probably print them and run their IDs....

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
This or something close to it has been done in multiple cities. Guess it is only news if it is an associate of Obama's.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kansas City. During gang affiliated funerals, the KCPD make a point to have a high profile presence there. I believe either Cleveland or Cinccinati has a similiar policy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of places feature a strong and visible police presence during gang funerals. Especially if the death was related to gang activity, like a drive-by victim. Emotions are high, and retaliation often follows. Also -- it's for the protection of the mourners, who may be targeted by rivals.

And that's before we even discuss the intel opportunities that accompany gang funerals.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of places feature a strong and visible police presence during gang funerals. Especially if the death was related to gang activity, like a drive-by victim. Emotions are high, and retaliation often follows. Also -- it's for the protection of the mourners, who may be targeted by rivals.

And that's before we even discuss the intel opportunities that accompany gang funerals.

And if I may add...this is not unique to America, either. Specific police activity takes place in world class cities such as London or Oslo, and in lesser known centers such as Guayaquil. In a Time magazine article (November 5, 2000 -- over 12 years ago) there is mention of some efforts of some intel efforts at Gang funerals in a Central American nation...this concerning the rise of a what would become a particularly notorious gang who deserves no further publicity.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad for this. Funerals are a place for respect, and also the place where a confrontation can go from bad to worse quickly. Good to see police are trying to keep them respectful and safe for the mourners (especially the innocent mourners).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Truth be told, they have been doing this since the 1930s...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, what? Gang Funerals? A place of respect? I beg to differ.

I say prohibit public funerals for gang-bangers. Dump their bodies in a hole, and leave it unmarked. Glorifying the gang culture, including respect for the dead, insults law-abiding people everywhere. I am not talking about VICTIMS of gang-bangers, I am talking about dead gangsters. Johnny the gang-banger gets blown away on the city streets by a different gang-banger? Well, too bad, so sad, dump his body in a pit somewhere out in the country and that's that. No obituary, no funeral, no memorial, and no glorification of that culture and lifestyle. If the family feels offended by that, maybe they should have been offended when Johnny was alive and could have quit the gangster life before he got what he had coming to him.

I'll tell you what's funny, though. I never see the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Church protesting a gang-banger's funeral. I guess they actually do have some fear for their own lives, eh? Seriously, though, wouldn't it be fun to see them protest a dead gangster's funeral? OMG, I would not know whom to be happier for when the fun started. I say give them a roped-off area and keep the public back a few miles and let them go at each other.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry, what? Gang Funerals? A place of respect? I beg to differ.

I say prohibit public funerals for gang-bangers. Dump their bodies in a hole, and leave it unmarked. Glorifying the gang culture, including respect for the dead, insults law-abiding people everywhere. I am not talking about VICTIMS of gang-bangers, I am talking about dead gangsters. Johnny the gang-banger gets blown away on the city streets by a different gang-banger? Well, too bad, so sad, dump his body in a pit somewhere out in the country and that's that. No obituary, no funeral, no memorial, and no glorification of that culture and lifestyle. If the family feels offended by that, maybe they should have been offended when Johnny was alive and could have quit the gangster life before he got what he had coming to him.

I'll tell you what's funny, though. I never see the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Church protesting a gang-banger's funeral. I guess they actually do have some fear for their own lives, eh? Seriously, though, wouldn't it be fun to see them protest a dead gangster's funeral? OMG, I would not know whom to be happier for when the fun started. I say give them a roped-off area and keep the public back a few miles and let them go at each other.

LOL!!!

Yeah, maybe we need to mislabel a few of them parties for Brother Phelbs to drag his flock to!

(same reason PETA does not throw paint on Hell's Angels, right!)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Rahm, I'm seriously unconvinced he's much less corrupt than Daley was... but I'll give him this one, I think it needs to be done.