7th Dan Presentation

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I was presented with my 7th dan certificate by both my sah bum nim and my kwan jang nim. After 36 years, it was a great honor to have them both present.
7th dan test 4.jpg
d
7th dan test.jpg
7th dan test 2.jpg
7th dan test 3.jpg
7th dan test 5.jpg
7th dan test 6.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm sure that the journey has been long and fruitful for you, and I wish you many more years of martial arts success!

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I never would have made it to this point in my journey without my teachers, seniors, and training partners over the past 36-37 years. It's very humbling to think that I am the same rank now that my kwan jang nim was when I joined in 1985.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
congratulations! You got some really nice action shots in those pictures, especially on the side kick and board break. What style/system of TKD do you guys train?

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
congratulations! You got some really nice action shots in those pictures, especially on the side kick and board break. What style/system of TKD do you guys train?
I train in Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo. It's not a particularly popular form of TKD anymore. My Kwan Jang Nim supported the unification efforts, but immigrated to the US in the 1960's before the modernization of TKD occurred. We still teach the older Japanese/Okinawan forms.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I train in Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo. It's not a particularly popular form of TKD anymore. My Kwan Jang Nim supported the unification efforts, but immigrated to the US in the 1960's before the modernization of TKD occurred. We still teach the older Japanese/Okinawan forms.
That's pretty cool. we do a few of the old Okinawan kata as well ( empi, bassai, kushanku, pinan kata). It's nice to hear of other schools that still follow this tradition.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. we do a few of the old Okinawan kata as well ( empi, bassai, kushanku, pinan kata). It's nice to hear of other schools that still follow this tradition.
Our hyung curriculum primarily consists of Kicho, Pyung Ahn (Pinan), Bassai, Naihanchi (Tekki), Chinto, and Kong Sang Kun (Kushanku).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I never would have made it to this point in my journey without my teachers, seniors, and training partners over the past 36-37 years. It's very humbling to think that I am the same rank now that my kwan jang nim was when I joined in 1985.
We are on a very similar path. I started in '84 and am 7th MDK, 5th KKW, and a couple firsts Dan's. My KJN was 8th in MDK and 6th in Kung Fu when I started. A few years after I started he jumped on the WT/KKW bandwagon and is now 9th in both TKD derivatives and 8th Kung Fu.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our hyung curriculum primarily consists of Kicho, Pyung Ahn (Pinan), Bassai, Naihanchi (Tekki), Chinto, and Kong Sang Kun (Kushanku).
It is refreshing to hear about people/schools who embrace the 'older' techniques/forms.

We do the Kicho Hyungs and Pyung Ahn's as our main color belt form set but also introduce the Taeguek's and Palgwe's. We also practice the KKW Yudnaja poomsae Plus the MDK BB forms so a tenured BB has the opportunity to learn a lot of forms.
This is great for people who are not interested in competition. We have a good compliment of booth and we have classes for each of them (competition and forms).
We do not do the Tekki forms because they are so similar to the Naihanchi forms or Chinto because it is so similar to Kong Sang Koon.

Very well done.

Latest Discussions